Search Unity

Make Animal walk cycle to move forward. (also explained in a video)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by goldleafboy, May 14, 2018.

1. goldleafboy

goldleafboy

Good morning people!

I make animation videos and recently I discovered unity, I like being able to mix, and create transitions between animations in the timeline.
    so here I'm trying to make a video, where a Dinosaur is running and Cinemachine Camera is following it.

The run cycle I downloaded is animated in the center of the world it does not move forward. So how can I make it go forward. It's just for a video, not for a game.
    Do I need to setup any controller for this?

I'm stuck on this problem since 2 days. I need a tiny little help here.

God bless, thank you!

I explained this in a quick video, you can watch here.

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I'm not totally sure what you might do to have it animate without running the game (hitting play in the editor), but anyway you could just attach a simple script to the gameobject of the dino, and have it do Transform.Translate to move the object forwards at a certain speed, and have the camera either "lock on" with some camera script, or as a child object of the dino, so it moves with it.

goldleafboy and theANMATOR2b like this.
  3. goldleafboy

goldleafboy

God I'm really happy that you replied @MD_Reptile!

So when I said "Its just for a video, not for a game" I meant I'm just using unity to render animations for my video projects not for making games:). Anyways.

So here all I want is, to make this dino go forward, which you already addressed. And I'm gonna try this, correct me if I'm wrong. Could you also tell me what values do I have to change, I'm not very familiar with scripting.

1. Create a new C# script in project panel with this code.

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class ExampleClass : MonoBehaviour {
    void Update() {
    transform.Translate(0, 0, Time.deltaTime);
    transform.Translate(0, Time.deltaTime, 0, Space.World);
    }
    }

2. Then select dino and, go to inspector window and add script.

3. Hit play and dinosaur will walk forward?o_O

Thank you for your time man!

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    MD_Reptile likes this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

If the script doesn't work you can research generating root motion in the documentation. Might help - though I don't know how it works on a rigged character.
    Since this character is animated in-place - parenting the root node to a empty game object that has generated root motion on it should work for your needs.

goldleafboy and MD_Reptile like this.
  5. goldleafboy

goldleafboy

Thanks alot for replying:). So now I know this is to be done with programing which I did not know before. And I already have started taking a course in C# language!

Good day!

6. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

This is what you might name "MoveDino.cs" (although you can't see filetypes in the editor, I just say that to clarify that your scripts name as well as the name of the class in the file must match) and is basically the same thing you posted before with the name change:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class MoveDino : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     void Update()
    7.     {
    8.         transform.Translate(0, 0, Time.deltaTime);
    9.         // this would add the delta time each frame to the z position of the object this script is attached to
    10.     }
    11. }
    With this, you should be able to get it going forward, but you should learn about (if you don't already know) what delta time is, so you understand why its working.

Let us know if you hit any more problems! Good luck!

7. Lex4art

Lex4art

It's a root motion thing. Btw, you can use free version of a tool called "UMotion" from Asset Store to animate your characters inside Unity editor, and there is also a tutorial about using Root motion:

8. goldleafboy

goldleafboy

Today I accidently clicked on this link from my history, and Woo! there are more replies. And I feel sorry for not replying to you guys!
    Actually I had abandoned the dino project, because I couldn't figure it out.

But now I can give it a try, thanks to you awesome people!
    So yeah, tomorrow I’ll do that when I’m at my computer.

Good day!:):D

MD_Reptile likes this.