Search Unity

Make all .unity files open the unity hub

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by master_rigel, Aug 28, 2019.

?

Should .unity files always open the Unity Hub, when available?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. master_rigel

master_rigel

I want to resolve an issue with Unity having different versions installed on my system, and having different projects installed in different versions.

When I go to open a .unity file, it will say "Hey. this project was made in another version of unity, do you want to upgrade it?" Of course, the version of unity running, can't recognize that a newer version of unity can't be downgraded. I suggest an alternative, and fix for this behavior.

Now that Unity wants to move to the unity hub, I highly recommend making all .unity file extensions open the unity hub if the unity hub is installed.

This would involve having Unity hub update the file extension preferences in the windows settings. It would also involve having any standalone installers check to see if Unity hub is installed prior to updating the .unity file extension.

As an alternative, simply have Unity hub check to see if it is the application associated with .unity files every time, and if it's not, ask the user if they want to set this association to true. Don't forget to include an option in Unity Hub, to let the user turn off the automatic file extension association.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

The .unity extension is available only for the scenes, as far as I have noticed. Double-clicking on it in Windows explorer will just return an error message "application unknown".

To open the right version of Unity when you double-click on the scene.unity file, just choose the right Unity version in the open with properties of the file.