Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Make a bright flash using HDRP

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by cadergator10, May 10, 2023.

1. cadergator10

cadergator10

Hello, I need to configure the light in a way where I can cause it to create a bright flash (like a camera flash, but way brighter to light up an entire room). It worked fine in the built in pipeline but when I upgraded all the lights are far too dim. Only one which works is directional (which even when disabled the light is too dim)

2. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

More details required. Are you familiar with HDRP and the Volume framework, for example setting exposure, setting up environment lighting (sky), properly adjusting the brightness of light sources, etc.

When you say that a particular light is too dim - what in prohibiting you from ramping up its brightness to a satisfactory level?

Is this a real-time lighting environment, or baked?

Etc.

3. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

It's most probably because lights intensity range in HDRP in physically based and has real units and not linear like in built-in.
    For example, a sun is roughly 100,000 Lux, so your flashlight at 1,000 Lux on a scene with a bright sun would be completely outshined by the sun and would appear really dim (as in real life).
    Also, the lights depends strongly on exposure, a 100k lux sun would appear way brighter with an exposure of zero compared to an exposure of 10.

You can find some informations on the documentation about the units and intensity here.