Search Unity

Major VSync performanc issue - even when turned off!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Damocles, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Damocles

Damocles

I have no idea what has happened, but suddenly, and without warning the performance in my game absolutely tanked. Looking at the profiler, it's showing Gfx.WaitForPresent as occupying 85% of the time, and the other execution times are as normally expected (total execution times in the 12-15ms range).

So I turned off VSync, both in the project quality settings and in my Nvidia control panel, but the problem remains. Profiler is still showing GFX.WaitForPresent as the bottleneck.

WTF?

This is utterly bizarre, yet it gets weirder. It only happens when the screen occupies more than about 70% of the total size of my monitor. If I scale the game view down, the frame rate improves again. I would ordinarily think this is something to do with fill rate, but not only is it a simple scene that was running very fast before, but I haven't changed anything to make the fill rate change. Plus the profiler is putting the GPU frame time around 3 - 4ms.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing such craziness?

2. TJTown

TJTown

I'm having the same problem. For my game it will work fine for a while, but eventually gfx.waitforpresent just takes over the CPU. I've found that the lower my quality settings the longer I can play before it starts. I've tried for many hours to debug the problem. I've written scripts that disable effects one by one as the frame rate drops. All that did was make the explosions and other particle systems stop showing up. Didn't help performance once gfx.waitforpresent takes over. I have no clue what is wrong.

3. twiesner

twiesner

Is your scene view showing when you are running your project in game?

wowipop likes this.