Search Unity

Major unity editor bug with multimonitors

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by zedz, Aug 30, 2018.

1. zedz

zedz

this is with 2017.3 but its the same for earlier versions
    2 monitors
    #1 4k
    #2 1920x1200

heres video taken last night, as you can see trying to move the game window from monitor #1 -> monitor #2 is a absolute nightmare, this is not a fake video, this is actually how it goes, often the game window will disappear completely the only way to find it again is to reset the layout, or restart unity

http://zedzeek.com/junk/2018-08-29 19-51-55.flv

I like to do programming on monitor 1 and use monitor 2 to view the output, last night I wanted to take a video of my game, so wanted to record it on monitor 2, I literallly spent over an hour trying to move the game window from monitor 1->2 and make it cover most of the screen. This is not an exaggeration, 1 hour to do something that should take 1 second!
    the results, FWIW. Ideally I should just be able to click on maximize window, when the window is on monitor 2 and it should cover the screen in reality if I do that the window disappears completely & I have to do a reset

I don't know if ppl are aware of this or do ppl just use a single monitor?

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I watched for a minute, and I just see gameplay. Please describe the issue, rather than a video. What took an hour?

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you want to make gameplay videos you should do so from a build instead of the editor.

4. zedz

zedz

Sorry look at the video again I am dragging the game window, you will notice the window 'teleports/warps' from place A to place B, then it disappears completely (I assume it warps off screen), you will notice the cursor as well, just warping from place A->B instantly.
    If its unclear I can make another video with comments
    moving the game window from monitor 1 to monitor 2, yes this should take a second as its very basic, but it doesnt always because of the issues above

5. zedz

zedz

6. halley

halley

I notice that on MacOS, if I have a "retina" screen like the iMac 5K screen, and also a non-retina HD screen, the pixel density modifiers are different. This can cause a ton of issues with editor scripts, where they're drawing or hit-testing based on the wrong pixel density. I am not sure if the Windows folks also have the same kinds of issues when they go from one display to another.