Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Major memory leaks - when it will end guys?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Amitr, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Amitr

Amitr

Hi,
    I guess unity dev team aware that since 2017 there are major memory leaks on mac, both after play and also when just using stuff in the program.

Is this something that you are working on right now? I saw there is no bug fix for this on the next release, i am 100% stuck in my project because of that.

using the latest version from the website. happening in any scene since the upgrade to 2017.

I am using unity for years and it has never been so unstable like now. it feels like an alpha stage of a product. please stop working on new features just for a while so we can get solid release ...
    Thank you.

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

There are a few memory leak issues in the public issue tracker, but if this is important to you, I recommend to submit a bug-report following the advice given in this document.

Submitting a bug report makes sure Unity Technologies is aware of the specific issue you experience. If you submitted the bug-report, you pretty much did what's in your power to work towards a fix.

It's worth to note that the easier a bug can be reproduced by QA, the more likely it's to get forwarded to a developer. I recommend to include a test project that the QA can use to reproduce this specific issue, along with a step-by-step list how to do that.

Posting bugs in the forum is often used to add a bit of attention to an existing bug-report, but is not a replacement for submitted that bug-report.

PS: UT fixed various memory leaks during 2017.x releases. Depending on which 2017.x version you use, it might be fixed already.

3. Amitr

Amitr

Thank you peter. Dont get me wrong i will like to help if i can, but the list of bugs im having right now is so long that it make me feel a little like a full time beta tester. I cant spend my days creating QA docs for unity with all do respect ... Why they release it if it had memory leaks found by users so fast ?

Thank you for the reply, hope i can get solid answer from unity dev about what known memory leaks are still taken care off.

4. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Because there attitude is only fix bugs that have been properly reported with bug console
    Mac Performance is really poor compared to windows also..

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

From past experience, if I do not report the Unity bugs I experience in my project, Unity Technologies is not going to fix these problems in most cases. I know that's unfortunate, because it takes a whole lot of time as you pointed out already.

If getting a fix is important to me, I cannot risk to not report it and thus perhaps never get a fix.