Search Unity

Major framerate issues

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Clydey2Times, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Clydey2Times

Clydey2Times

I'm not sure where to post this, as the bulk of the problem seems to be coming from the editor. However, builds of the game I'm working on are also having major framerate issues.

I'm not sure where exactly to start. I recently bought a £3,000 gaming laptop, expecting to be able to do all my game dev work on it without any issues. Unfortunately, when I brought my project onto the new laptop, the performance was unacceptable. It was often chugging at around 15 fps.

It's a very large project, so I thought that might be the issue. I used Asset Hunter and deleted all unused assets. That took over 20 gigs off the projects size. It didn't help performance.

I tried building the game with only one fairly inexpensive scene (it's an old school RE-type game, so it has lots of scenes and door transitions). Said scene still only runs at around 15 fps.

I created a new scene with just a plane and the player character. The best I could get was an inconsistent 30 fps.

I deleted all the materials and textures from scenes that would tax performance. It didn't help.

I'm including a screenshot of one of the scenes (without the materials and textures from assets I created, since I deleted them) and the profiler. It's running at around 30 fps out of full screen mode and 20 fps in full screen. Maybe someone here can make sense of what's going on? This is 2 and a half years of work on and off, so the thought of having to scrap the project terrifies me. Thanks in advance.

Note: My new hardware isn't the issue. Far more performance intensive games run great on it.

Attached Files:

2. HarryPigskin

HarryPigskin

It's difficult for me, personally, to tell purely based on your description and image.

Have you tried making a completely blank Unity project and seen the performance?
    As in not an empty scene within your current project, but an entirely new project file.

One possible issue could be that the specific version of Unity you're running has an issue with your graphics card.
    Assuming you were developing just fine on your previous machine.

This could occur either because the vendor has a bug in their drivers, or said version of Unity renders things slightly different than others causing an issue.

If a blank project works fine, try simply importing your scenes into the new project one at a time and see which scenes/models cause a significant slowdown.

An empty scene shouldn't cause a large tank in FPS so it could be a project configuration setting you had forgot about, if your previous machine was quite slow you might not have noticed due to the setting being a bottleneck instead of an expensive operation.

Although I can't really think of one which would do what you're describing.

If an empty scene in a brand new project does not work well, try updating your graphics drivers, if that doesn't help another alternative is to make a copy of your project and attempt to upversion it.

All the best,
    Harry

3. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Hi there,
    Next to what Harry said, make sure your graphics card driver setup is such that unity is actually running on the dedicated graphics card and not the one integrated with the CPU.