Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Major editor design flaw: mouse pointer doesn't hide when it should

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by zeropointblack, Jul 2, 2020.

?

Anyone else annoyed by this?

1. Me

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. What?

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

No idea if I'm the only person in the world who has this problem, or cares, but I think it's pretty damn stupid. Happens every time I'm using the mouse to fly around a scene in editor with the FPS controls, and also just now again when rotating an object in mesh view in the inspector:

when clicking and dragging in a 3D frame, the mouse pointer stays on screen and DOES NOT reset to its previous location upon release. Any idea why? Is my editor broken? Am I doing something wrong? Yeah, it is a big deal, and here's why:

1. it's annoying.
    2. it's hard finding the mouse cursor again after doing, anything. (wastes time)
    3. this might be the biggest one: it potentially MOVES game objects from the Hierarchy panel when I let go and reclick the mouse, which was somewhere useful, but now clicking game objects around in my list. (this is also an issue when using FPS flymouse controls and I use the mouse wheel to scroll to increase or decrease move speed. it disables this functionality by proceeding to scroll up and down my game objects list, unless I keep turning to get the still visible mouse pointer back over the scene tab. weird.

I know this can be fixed, because I have plenty of other aps, 3D aps, and sound DAWs with plugins which freeze the mouse over the knob control slider, and or resets the moving mouse pointer when released. either way, the mouse can continue to scroll movement past the bounds of the screen without issue.

So in conclusion, is this just an untested oversight within the Unity editor, or is there something wrong with my editor in particular? Or better yet, does anybody here know if there is some way to fix something like this? like perhaps using the C# code mouselock in the editor?