Search Unity

Major design failures

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by georgeq, Mar 18, 2021.

1. georgeq

georgeq

Since the Package Manager started to handle the asset store downloads I'm having two problems. 1) there is no way to locate the files belonging to a specific package and derived from that 2) there is no option to uninstall anything downloaded from the asset store.

I have a huge project with dozens of assets imported from the asset store, the number of folders inside the project is really big, so if I forget where in my project a specific asset was imported, I have no clue to locate it, and its a really, really, really hard task when you have more than a handful of imported assets.

When the download was made directly from the asset store and you didn't know where to locate a certain asset, you could reimport the package and the import window showed you the already imported files so you could easily take note. You had to waste a lot of time in this operation, but at least there was a reliable way to find out where to look at. The new package manager way of doing things does not provide you with a way to know where a specific asset is located, and if you try to reimport it, all you get is a window that says: "Nothing to import", also, since there's is no option to uninstall these assets, you are doomed to do a manual search, which is extremely frustrating when some genius publisher decides the files have to reside in a folder named after his/her cat, an event that occurs more often than you may think.

My problem right now is that I imported an asset, I forgot to take note of where it was imported and now I simply can't find it, I looked up one by one, folder by folder, 1, 2, 3, 4 times but I'm still unable to locate the files. At this point, all I know for sure is that the folder I'm looking for does not have the same name as the asset's description, nor its developer.

I just wonder why no one thought of this. Also, why the asset store does not enforce at least some basic naming conventions to ensure any asset can be found easily in your folders' structure.