Search Unity

Major Annoucements from John Riccitiello Unity CEO March 3rd GDC2015

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Okay, if we're doing wild speculations I want in!

Here's mine:

1) Unity is starting a game developer social network that is all about developing your skills and hooking up with dev teams.

2) Unity is getting into the publishing game for their users.

3) Unity is being bought out by Bethesda. BOOM! No one saw that one coming, did they? So I'll either sound like an idiot or a psychic soon. Consequently, this week's winning lotto numbers are 3 and 7.

2. nipoco

nipoco

That's interesting stuff. I think UT should promote that more.

Btw. this ins't entirely true. You actually have to use their Engine in order to get money.

3. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

And we'd never announce or let Fallout 4 happen, just to be mega trolls.

4. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I just got a little faint.

Joking aside:
    -Bethesda also has a major announcement this year at E3.
    -Bethesda is desperately trying to expand their company.
    -Bethesda was very close to the Gamebryo team. Gamebryo is dead, but their team went on to try and make a clone of Unity that was targeted for WebGL and mentioned Unity by name in their early tech demo. Just sounds like there could be more going on there.

Neoku likes this.
  5. Moonjump

Moonjump

Maybe we will see the Unity Game Store. A Steam competitor using the Asset Store backend available on all open platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, etc.). All store requirements built into the Unity Editor. And as Unity will be getting their cut, all developers can use Pro features on store titles.

6. mike950

mike950

Unity gave away free money in the form of contests

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

How about less free money and more value instead? Unity offers a lot of value with it's peripheral services. For example, analytics can save you money, as well as other services to come. Free money, or saving us from spending money? For me, it's the same thing and I'd rather have more value than just cash thrown at me.

But then I'm kind of serious about game development.

Socrates and Not_Sure like this.
  8. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Thats our goal with the new services we are building for Unity. Things such as Cloud Build to help with quicker build-iterations and easier testing on more target devices, Analytics to understand how your players interact with your games and how you can balance them post-release, Everyplay to help your players build a community around your games and share your content on social media to increase discoverability, and Unity Ads to offer a way of making money from your games that you release with a 'Free' price tag (Crossy Road has made $1million+ from Unity Ads http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/01/13/crossy-road-and-unity-ads/ and it probably takes a day to integrate). All of these things are very integral in releasing a performant and effective game in today's markets (and maintaining them after they have shipped to the stores) and we are focusing on making them as easy and straightforward to setup so that Unity users can focus more on making their games and less on countless SDKs and stuff that they don't really want to spend time making, or don't have the resources to make.

All of these things are going to add (and already add) alot of value into what Unity offers to game developers in making and shipping games and becoming successful with them, much more than "lol free money". :)

9. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

But yeah, slightly off-topic. More predictions and rumours please!

10. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Velociraptors on motorcycles.

Aurore, Socrates and Whippets like this.
  11. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Yah, where is native Steam integrations? *grabs popcorn :D*

12. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

??

Not_Sure and Aurore like this.
  13. Whippets

Whippets

It's real!

14. Moonjump

Moonjump

Mobile Unity Editor apps.

I doubt we will get that, but an ability to view any editor window using a Unity Remote like system would be very nice (e.g. being able to use my iPad to view the Console while playing a game in the Editor). There is often not enough screen space to view all the information wanted at once, anything that helps would be useful.

15. Arowx

Arowx

What about build MMO as the first game template on release! :);)

Not_Sure likes this.
  16. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I highly doubt any company could announce an announcement a month in advance if the announcement was related to a buyout of any kind. I'm betting Unity will announce Unity 5.0 (Free and Pro) and also announce the Pro mobile add-ons are included in the base price now. That is the type of announcement that seems most likely.

Metron likes this.
  17. Neoku

Neoku

For some companies is hard accept that need ajust the price of their products, but is the better that can happens in this GDC.

18. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Well, not particularly; but I would be interested in why you would make such a claim and which companies you are referring to. :)

19. rogueknight

rogueknight

Unity announces that filming will soon start on their first motion picture. It will tell the story of a small indie team that changes the world of video games forever. Follow their story as they overcome obstacles and roadblocks to make the game of their dreams!

20. Neoku

Neoku

Unity the documentary?

shkar-noori likes this.
  21. rogueknight

rogueknight

I was meaning more along the lines of a summer blockbuster movie. Not based on any real indie team or game.

22. mantekkerz

mantekkerz

You guys are gonna kick yourselves, it's so OBVIOUS! March 3rd - the start of the Geneva Motor Show. Clearly, unity will be announcing a partnership with Apple on their autonomous car which will run on Unity.

23. Arowx

Arowx

Or it's the game of the film!

24. mgear

mgear

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  25. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

He might just be excited for MGSV!

Aurore likes this.
  26. Arowx

Arowx

No it's \V/_

Hey could we have a live long and prosper emoticon?

27. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Hey yea.... isn't Unity supposed to be out of business now? UT must be nearly bankrupt and irrelevant now since the pricing structure didn't change (mass exodus and all that). Right?

tango209 likes this.
  28. Neoku

Neoku

Looks as a joke, but i dont know, in only a few days we will be see the true.

29. Ryiah

Ryiah

Will they be handing out free tickets to the Unreal fans? :p

landon912 likes this.
  30. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

I can assure you that our announcement won't be "lol, we are bankrupt". Seems an odd thing to announce a month in advance! :D

31. Whippets

Whippets

Is it.... Finally enough bacon has been sourced to get SuperPig to fix *all* of the bugs?

Meltdown likes this.
  32. Moonjump

Moonjump

Don't go bacon my heart

I couldn't if I fried

CWolf and Whippets like this.
  33. Whippets

Whippets

noooooooooooooooooo

34. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I hope it not only the release of Unity 5.0.

35. Socrates

Socrates

The announcement is that without telling us, they secretly doubled the size of the Unity team through cloning and they're going straight to Unity 6.0. It will have all the features promised for 5.0 and more!

36. landon912

landon912

@Neoku will be first in line.

37. Neoku

Neoku

Really is not common see Unreal fans shut up Unity fans in the forums, some times fanatism is near to madness.

38. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unreal's forums are primarily populated by those who are more concerned with getting work done than wasting time comparing at every opportunity. This may be partly due to Unreal having so many toys out of the box with little upfront cost, but it may also be that those attracted have already discussed these subjects in the process of choosing Unreal.

The threads are being closed largely because the topics they are bringing up are merely repeats that have been discussed in-depth at least once and little is left that has yet to be said. If someone is curious, they can simply search these forums.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  39. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's not Unreal per se, nor does it have anything to do with "fanatism" or even fanaticism. It's the endless harping on and on over and over and over about the exact same thing, which only annoys users (judging from the reported post queue) and serves no productive purpose. There are a few non-Unreal subjects that get the same treatment. I'd prefer not to do that, but occasionally a subject is so beaten to death that it's just pointless, and you have to say enough is enough.

--Eric

Ryiah likes this.
  40. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, it isn't too different from the Windows vs Linux, DirectX vs OpenGL, etc discussions. Not that I am innocent of taking part in them from time to time. :p

41. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

NOW LOOK WHAT YOU DID!!!! :: pre-emptively closes entire forum ::

--Eric

Whippets and Ryiah like this.
  42. Neoku

Neoku

When you need a tool and have more than one option you need compare for see the best for your needs, really have not sense compare Unity with a musical app for example.

43. Ryiah

Ryiah

Most comparisons can be done without creating new threads or hijack existing ones.

44. Neoku

Neoku

;)

45. Ferazel

Ferazel

http://wastelandrpg.tumblr.com/post/112229660441/kickstarter-update-60-work-work-never-changes

Uh oh, the Wasteland 2 devs may have spilled the beans. Sounds like Unity 5 free will be either 100% pro, or it will include many of the Unity pro features. From the way they say it is seems that there will only be one product. Maybe they will still charge for the platforms like iOS/Android but keep the PC standalone free? Anyways, exciting times, I can't wait until the announcement from Unity on Tuesday!

ogike and Ryiah like this.
  46. Neoku

Neoku

This message about migration from Unity 4.5 Pro to 5 free is a bit confuse.

47. orb

orb

It looks to me like Unity 5 will get all the navigation stuff in free, and possibly asset bundles. It's a bit cryptic, yeah.

48. zenGarden

zenGarden

I was very disappointed by Wastelands 2 so bad performance for such small game with top down limited view. I hope UT5 will bring bigger frame rate.

Indeed, if you just look at all people using UT Free and buying on the Asset Store , Unity could drop Pro version and would still gain lot of money.

This would be really good for everyone.

49. Meltdown

Meltdown

Unity 6 will be announced!

chingwa likes this.
  50. Whippets

Whippets

Yet only those who have paid, get into the 5 beta. That would surely not make those paying for subscriptions or have purchased unity to get 5 feel much love.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.