Search Unity

Major Annoucements from John Riccitiello Unity CEO March 3rd GDC2015

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arowx

Arowx

I don't know can they afford to not offer one, a few good games have moved over to Unreal. The more good games made with Unreal especially ones that migrate are feathers in their cap and not in Unity's.

And once a good development team is working and successful with a game engine they are probably less likely to change.

I still think Unity have self promotion back to front,e.g. pushing the Unity logo onto free makes it a badge for every shoddy free game out there. The Unity logo should be an award given to the best in breed games. Maybe they should have a blueprint style, coffee stained made with Unity Free logo. A better looking made with Pro logo. And a bronze, silver and gold logos for excellent game development.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    Socrates likes this.
  2. jcarpay

jcarpay

So you suggest Pro customers who paid in advance for their Unity 5 license including the add-ons, would loose their investment from the day Unity 5 would be released? That doesn't make sense and certainly would piss off a huge pile of their customer base.

3. Arowx

Arowx

Unlucky, I guess, I purchased a standard Android and IOS upgrade to Unity Pro 4.x, then a few months later they made them free.

4. Ostwind

Ostwind

But this time paid customers have not yet had a "working" or production qualified product in their hands. It would be a disaster to do a major price change without refunds. There is no way this would happen.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

They don't need to make it as big as Epic's. A tighter review process, giving single-game licenses instead of monetary amounts, and similar might do the job adequately while getting them some attention.

6. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Unicorns farting rainbows? I want one.
    Gigi

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2009/10/29/a-free-unity/

8. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Yeah no way they would have to give refunds

9. Ostwind

Ostwind

Surely they would have to. It's like you are saying they could walk away without probs after all the pr mailing and reminding about pre-order discounts and other marketing a year ago and then now say, sorry you were scammed before you even got to use the product in production? Some people/studios paid almost a year ago for everything.

10. Arowx

Arowx

Check your EULA?!

11. artysta

artysta

A company that recruits me to pay thousands of dollars for the ability to test their new update, and get my hands on a pre-release of that version, then hands it out for free when it ships and doesn't take care of me, isn't a company I would continue to work with. We have options now, this isn't the only game in town. If that were to happen, I would be so offended, I would leave. I would also expect many other talented users would as well. If we are smart enough to use Unity, we are smart enough to use other tools. Would I be happy if they then refunded me? I'm not sure, maybe. But I would also wonder what's going on, why do they have to do something so drastic. I would be concerned going forward. Are they going to be there, are they going to change in the middle of production, too many what-ifs, that I would look at the competition for something of a more solid business plan. If you play with your quality users to the point that only people that like freebies are around, whats that business model? Quality companies expect quality tools. We pay for them, we will continue to pay them, we expect mutual respect with them. lets not all gather around the free Unity fire pit and sing Kumbaya and be free...... Sorry I want a professional company producing professional tools and not a company with a business plan of the month club. Yes, I paid almost the first day I could. I was offered a discount which is good, I was a long away from shipping so it would be extra time in the new (probably shipping) version of Unity when I did finished. I didn't expect this to be a Kickstarter project where I prepaid thoushands for something and then got a poster at the end.

movra likes this.
  12. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well unity did give a refund before so maybe they will who knows.

13. artysta

artysta

I guess I should of added, I suspect it's related to the Xbox One Apps

14. Whippets

Whippets

bit early for QQing, we haven't heard what the guy has to say yet

Socrates and angrypenguin like this.
  15. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Woah, please don't take predictions of what forum posters say as gospel. These are all unofficial predictions ranging from both structured to ridiculous. :) No need to get wound up before anything has actually been announced!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    ashenbee, HemiMG, Gigiwoo and 3 others like this.
  16. artysta

artysta

Agreed, just responding to the comments, that's what a forum is. Sometimes they suck :) As i said I find the pricing model to free to be pretty crazy and I don't expect it. I expect more along the lines of Xbox One Apps. But who knows, fun to speculate. BTW, if you don't want people to speculate, don't pre-announce an announcement, just sayn :)

angrypenguin likes this.
  17. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Speculation and predictions are totally fine! But I hope that some people don't take some speculation or predictions as gospel or what is actually going to happen and get worked up over it. Nothing good comes of that. We just want everyone to have fun with these sorts of threads. :D

Adding fuel to the flames:
    Export option for Coffee Machines. All scripting is now done in CoffeeScript. Mecanim is now called Mochanim.

Attached Files:

18. artysta

artysta

I'm having fun :)

19. LaneFox

LaneFox

mind = blown.

Gigiwoo and shkar-noori like this.
  20. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

21. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Maybe we're finally adding support for goat?

shkar-noori and R-Lindsay like this.
  22. Arowx

Arowx

Not the symbol of beelzebub I should have know the six pointed cube, support for goats. The dark ones eyes and ears and teeth if you let them near the washing line.

Get behind me fowl demonic Unity, ye be possessed!

At last the new angelic CEO is going to do an exorcism of Unity and all it's demons with that there new and trendy Pope!

Should clean out a few bugs as well!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  23. Socrates

Socrates

This one must be true since he was able to attach an already prepared coffee style Unity logo.

Dang. I was really hoping for more tea options instead.

24. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Heh, saw that photo on Twitter posted by a Unity Dev when they were at Unite Seattle; the hotel he was staying at made the Unity coffee for him. :)

shkar-noori likes this.
  25. Arowx

Arowx

So a lifetime supply of Unity Coffee (Fair Trade I hope) when you buy Unity Pro + IOS + Android?

What about Unity Pizza!?

26. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Unity now ships with Potato!

hippocoder likes this.
  27. orb

orb

Man, don't bring up FairTrade, or it'll just lead to talking about this, which leads to editor porting demands…

jashan likes this.
  28. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

A wild guess... Unity to introduce a royalty-based license.

29. Voronoi

Voronoi

Ok, my guess - any license holder can upgrade to 5.0 at no charge. No need to update 4.xxx anymore, just tell people to upgrade!

30. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I of course don't know how valid the various criticisms are, but I wouldn't necessarily hope for that. It sounds a little too much like an economic version of "green washing" (i.e.: marketing something as if it's environmentally friendly whether it is or not. One side effect of which is fooling gullible people into believing that their selection of shopping is "doing their part", leading to less attention being paid to the issue in ways that actually make a difference.) to me.

31. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Maybe they implement ShaderForge natively?
    Shaders: Fixed ShaderForge deferred lighting shaders being inverted colors in HDR.

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  32. tswalk

tswalk

that would be the sh!t... sign me up.

shkar-noori likes this.
  33. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

I heard Steam begged Unity for a partnership after they saw the potential of the engine in Air Control.

landon912 and Ostwind like this.
  34. ZJP

ZJP

I just saw the sales figures 'Xbox One vs PS4'. Not very good for the One even after the price drop in December. So my thought? The announcement of the free dev for all owners of a XOne and Unity Pro.

shkar-noori likes this.
  35. Neoku

Neoku

36. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

37. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

shkar-noori likes this.
  38. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Oh well that would be something in Microsoft's land/hands/events, not quite ours...

39. ZJP

ZJP

Yes.

The last time I checked you were great partners. :p

40. mike950

mike950

Wouldn't it be awful if most of the guesses turn out to be much better than the actual announcement

ShilohGames, Ryiah and R-Lindsay like this.
  41. Moonjump

Moonjump

Even if the announcement results in an end to war and poverty, aligns the planets and brings them into universal harmony, allows meaningful contact with all forms of life, from extra terrestrials to common household pets, and is excellent for dancing, then some will still be unhappy.

42. Whippets

Whippets

is that all? sheesh, I thought it was going to be like a major announcement

43. Ferazel

Ferazel

This is most likely the case, but half the fun can be guessing. Unfortunately, if people don't keep their expectations in check the hype will be completely unattainable if Unity doesn't announce it's free, open source, and giving money away to developers.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  44. nipoco

nipoco

That is something Unity badly needs. A node based shader editor.
    But I doubt that will be announced, unfortunately.

45. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Yeah, I doubt the announcement will be technical in nature. More like some grand plans for the future, some kind of acquisition, some kind of license change, etc.

46. jashan

jashan

Yeah, and I guess that's why they won't spoil the surprise for Microsoft by making their announcement for them. So I guess that's it: The big announcement will be that there's a big announcement. Maybe ;-)

47. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT!!!! - Unity is going to change their logo

lol.. but no.. HOLOLENS !!!! DOOO IIITTT!!!

48. ZJP

ZJP

Yes, they seem to have much to say at E3.

49. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I guess it might coincide with a Unity 5 release date?

movra likes this.
  50. elmar1028

elmar1028

No problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.