Search Unity

Maintainer

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by codestage, Mar 10, 2015.

1. codestage

codestage

@Xblade-Imperium42 thanks for all the details about your case!

Looks like that error could be a source of the problem. Looking into it right now.

2. codestage

codestage

3. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Nice! Fixed~

codestage likes this.
  4. codestage

codestage

I'm glad to let you know Maintainer 1.5.3 is already available!

It has few important fixes and some preparations to the future integration to the Package Manager.
    Also this update drops support to the pre-2017.4 LFS Unity to make it easier to support new Unity versions which are on the way (19.1 and 19.2).

Stay tuned for more, some great enhancements are in the parallel development ATM ^^

- update project to Unity 2017.4
    - add assembly definition file
    - ignore .preset files in Project Cleaner by default
    - improve reveal behavior in same dirty scene
    - fix possible null reference exception (thx Xblade-Imperium42)
    - fix core assets map didn't update properly in some cases
    - remove some legacy code

5. codestage

codestage

Maintainer 1.5.4 is live!

It fixes few bugs and introduces new feature, starting from Unity 2019.1: search for shaders with errors!
    This means Issues Finder now can find shaders with compilation errors within your project assets:

1.gif
    Important note: there was a related Unity 2019.1 bug discovered right after implementing this feature.
    Bug prevents shader errors lookup until you manually select shader in the Project Browser.
    It was already successfully reproduced by QA (case 1147325) so, hopefully, we'll see a fix in the future Unity updates.
    If fix will be delayed for too long or will not happen at all, I'll implement workaround for this bug in Maintainer, keeping my head up for this case.

More to come, stay tuned!

- Issues Finder:
    * add Shaders with errors lookup in Unity 2019.1 and newer
    * improve missing scripts find & removal in Unity 2019.1 and newer​
    - fix internal Assets Map could not update properly (thx Rusty)
    - fix context ignore menu could behave incorrectly

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. noobynobody

noobynobody

When I try to go to codestage.net, Bitdefender says "Dangerous pages attempt to install software that can harm the device, gather personal information or operate without your consent". I'm not used to this, so I'm kind of worried.

7. codestage

codestage

Hey, @noobynobody

Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to investigate this asap.

8. codestage

codestage

@noobynobody

Please check your PM, meanwhile I've double-checked logs and tried few online scanners - everything seems to be fine.

My domain is not using https yet (current hosting provider does not support "lets encrypt" keys) so it's possible Bitdefender just reporting this in such terrific way %)

9. codestage

codestage

All after all, it was https absence which is now fixed, https is now enabled for the website ^^

upload_2019-6-12_0-13-35.png

tosiabunio likes this.
  10. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Hey @codestage , some feedback ideas:

1. It'd be great if you had an option with "find dependencies" that allows us to select the ones that found dependencies so I can move them to a new dir or something!

Example: I have an ancient dir that's not organized at all. 1/2 have dependencies, 1/2 don't. I want to move those with[out] depencies elsewhere. This would be perfect! But alas~

2. A project cleaner Whitelist would be cool, too~ as a search option for whitelist instead of blacklist. A ghetto way would be to have an "add all root dirs" to blacklist, then you can edit backwards (this is what I do now, only manually adding each root dir)

3. Have a checkbox instead of a "remove" for blacklist paths -- Sometimes it's a pain to list them all, but I often want to toggle for different reasons (not remove)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  11. codestage

codestage

Hey @Xblade-Imperium42 ,

Do you mean dependencies - like something is referenced from those assets? Otherwise, you already can see count of references to the assets at the References Finder's Refs column.

Anyways, Dependencies Finder (reverse of the references finder) is planned in future versions so all cases should be covered with its release.

This is a planned feature, I totally agree whitelists will be really helpful in the Project Cleaner,

Not sure I got you correctly. Are you talking about ignores lists?

Thanks for all your feedback!

12. codestage

codestage

Maintainer 1.5.5 is already live in the store!

This update brings some nice improvements and fixes.

Few highlights:

Reference Finder tree flattening

Some important changes were made to the References Finder module - now it has flatten tree philosophy to make it cleaner and easier experience to walk through the references of your assets.

Now instead of recursive tree navigation you have a flat list navigation - every child reference can be searched for its own references.

Also exact references were moved out from the results list to the separate resizable bottom panel to make it easier to inspect references.

ReferencesFinder_dark.png

In addition, this change significantly increases performance of the results generation, reduce results save and load times and reduces result cache file sizes.

Includes for References Finder

Now it's possible to declare only those paths \ folders where you would like to look for references.
    First includes are applied, then ignores applied to the included items.

Addressables support
    Now Maintainer aware about addressables and relationships between addressable settings files and assets marked as addressables. This prevents accidental removal of addressable assets and allows to track down addressable references.

There are also fixes and improvements applied across other modules, happy housekeeping!

- make Maintainer to be aware about addressables (thx Sebastiano)
    - References Finder:
    * flatten tree: no more infinite confusing tree navigation
    * flatten tree: tree construction, save and load performance increased dramatically
    * add Find References button to each child item for continuous search
    * move exact references to the resizable lower pane for clarity and easier navigation
    * add Includes filters
    * add double-click row action (show)​
    - Issues Finder:
    * fix incorrect messages for unsuccessful issue fix
    * fix inability to auto-clean missing references in some cases​
    - add scrolls to main window (shows at very small window size)
    - fix reveal for components on objects with hidden components
    - fix exact references lookup in the ScriptableObjects
    - fix possible null ref exception in ReferencesFinder (thx Jeff)
    - fix null ref exceptions for removed scriptable object scripts (thx Syganek)

13. Barritico

Barritico

Hi.

I have these error:

[Maintainer] Issues Finder: something went wrong :(
    System.StackOverflowException
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEditor.EditorUtility.IsPersistent(UnityEngine.Object)
    at UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.GetCorrespondingObjectFromOriginalSource_Internal (UnityEngine.Object instanceOrAsset) [0x00004] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\Prefabs\PrefabUtility.cs:1472
    at UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.GetCorrespondingObjectFromOriginalSource[TObject] (TObject componentOrGameObject) [0x00007] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\Prefabs\PrefabUtility.cs:1452
    at CodeStage.Maintainer.Tools.CSPrefabTools.GetAssetSource (UnityEngine.Object componentOrGameObject) [0x00001] in D:\APP\Unity\_2018_4\SimSport_N\Assets\Plugins\CodeStage\Maintainer\Scripts\Tools\CSPrefabTools.cs:84
    at CodeStage.Maintainer.Tools.CSObjectTools.GetUniqueObjectId (UnityEngine.Object unityObject) [0x00048] in D:\APP\Unity\_2018_4\SimSport_N\Assets\Plugins\CodeStage\Maintainer\Scripts\Tools\CSObjectTools.cs:37
    at CodeStage.Maintainer.Tools.CSObjectTools.GetUniqueObjectId (UnityEngine.Object unityObject) [0x0005f] in D:\APP\Unity\_2018_4\SimSport_N\Assets\Plugins\CodeStage\Maintainer\Scripts\Tools\CSObjectTools.cs:40
    at CodeStage.Maintainer.Tools.CSObjectTools.GetUniqueObjectId (UnityEngine.Object unityObject) [0x0005f] in D:\APP\Unity\_2018_4\SimSport_N\Assets\Plugins\CodeStage\Maintainer\Scripts\Tools\CSObjectTools.cs:40
    at CodeStage.Maintainer.Tools.CSObjectTools.GetUniqueObjectId (UnityEngine.Object unityObject) [0x0005f] in
    [.... and a lot of lines with same text)

14. codestage

codestage

Hey @Barritico,

Thank you for reporting this problem.

Could you please share a bit more info so I could help with it?
    - what's your Unity version?
    - what's your Maintainer version?
    - what action does lead to this error?
    - could you share reproduction case so I could reproduce problem on my end and inspect it?

Feel free to drop all the info here or in PM.

Thanks!

15. Barritico

Barritico

Hi.

- Unity version: 2019.1.12f1
    - Maintainer version: 1.5.5
    - In Issues Finder. With "Open Scenes Only" click on "Find Issues"
    - After a few seconds show the error.

When the process ends and the error appears, another scene opens that I have disabled and that is not part of the scenes of the Build and that does not match the "scenes" parameter that I mentioned. In case it helps

Thanks!!!!!

16. codestage

codestage

Thank you for all additional information, @Barritico
    It helps a lot, I'll try to figure out possible cause of this issue.

Though it would help even more if I would have reproduction case (e.g. part of your project) which does produces the error so I could reproduce and debug it directly.

Please let me know if it will be possible to share it with me.

17. codestage

codestage

Please check your PM inbox, @Barritico,
    I've sent you a version with a possible workaround and would be glad to know how it works for you.

18. Shturmovik

Shturmovik

Absolutely greatest tool ever! Maintainer and Advanced FPS Counter are two of the first things I add to any new project, even if it's just a short game jam thing.

However ... the project cleaner seems to have problems in Unity 2019.2 as it flags stuff as unused if referenced inside prefabs. I'm in the process of importing one of my existing frameworks into a new project and something is definitely broken.

Not a huge problem at this point, but thought I'd report it anyway. Can provide an example project if needed.

19. codestage

codestage

Hey @Shturmovik,

Thank you for your kind words.
    And thanks for reporting this problem.

I would be very happy to see a repro project where this problem occurs to pinpoint and fix it faster.
    Could you please send me a PM with your project and steps of the reproduction so I could inspect it?

Thanks!

20. akareactor

akareactor

Looks like rich & beautiful! But what about missing links or reference finding inside UnityEvent's actions?

21. codestage

codestage

Hey @akareactor,

Maintainer does finds missing links and asset references inside UnityEvent actions.

akareactor likes this.
  22. AdamKane

AdamKane

Maintainer API?

Is there an API that I can call Maintainer from via script?

For example, is there a way for me to create a unit test which checks a specific scene for missing script references, by piggy-backing on the functionality that Maintainer has?

Thanks!

Update: I found the API docs. Nice!
    http://codestage.net/uas_files/maintainer/api/

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  23. AdamKane

AdamKane

Is it possible to configure Maintainer issues search from script (a unit test in this case)?

For example, rather than using whatever the current settings happen to be:

Thanks!

codestage likes this.
  24. codestage

codestage

Hey @AdamKane ,

Thanks for your question!
    It's possible to configure Maintainer settings using undocumented (yet) APIs under
    CodeStage.Maintainer.Settings.MaintainerSettings.Instance.*

I'm going to document those APIs.

Please let me know if it will be enough for your use case or, maybe, you need some more additional control?

AdamKane likes this.
  25. AdamKane

AdamKane

Great thanks, I'll check it out!

26. AdamKane

AdamKane

Is it possible to extend Maintainer? For example, to add a custom IssuesFinder type?

For example, let's say I wanted to test that all materials have a normal map. (This is just an example).

27. codestage

codestage

Hey @AdamKane,

I'm sorry for a late reply, somehow missed notification from forums.
    Currently there are no such functionality but it's a good idea, will think how to implement this in future versions, thank you!

28. UnconventionalWarfare

UnconventionalWarfare

Thanks for this asset. It's proving quite useful to clean up a lot of unused stuff that accumulated over years.

There's one thing that's a bit cumbersome at the moment though. I can't use the project cleaner for various reasons. So what I'm doing is going folder by folder using the Reference Finder. I figure out what's not being used and delete it. That's a bit of a pain, because I might get a folder with dozens of files and a few that are used. So I can't just select all and delete.
    It would be really nice, if I could select multiple entries directly in the Reference Finder and hit the delete key to delete the assets. This would greatly speed up my work.

codestage likes this.
  29. codestage

codestage

Hey @UnconventionalWarfare ,

This is a good idea to implement such feature, thank you!
    Added this to the project tasks for the future resolution in new versions.

UnconventionalWarfare likes this.
  30. UnconventionalWarfare

UnconventionalWarfare

That's nice to hear. Another useful addition would be to have the Project Cleaner be able to find and delete empty directories. They're a bit annoying when using git as version control software, because git only tracks files and empty directories are invisible to it. But Unity creates .meta files for empty directories and those are tracked by git.

31. codestage

codestage

32. UnconventionalWarfare

UnconventionalWarfare

Oops. Didn't notice that, because I'm only switching between the issue and reference finders. Works like a charm!

Here's a question about a bit of a bigger feature.
    Your reference finder works quite nicely (thought I found cases where it didn't find references*). Have you thought about adding a reference replacer/asset merger?
    1. Scan entire project for references to asset A
    2. Iterate over all references and replace them with references to asset B
    3. Delete asset A
    Maintainer already does step 1, which is arguably the most complicated step.

*References from code using AssetDatabase and shader dependencies. Finding hard-coded references in C# code is too much to ask, because you'd have to scan all the code files. Shader dependencies are a bit simpler though. Here is an example. You could use a simple regular expression to get those shader names and use Shader.Find() to find the actual assets.

codestage likes this.
  33. codestage

codestage

Thank you for another great idea, actually this was already requested before and it's added to the future plans.

I'm in process of deep refactoring and extending References Finder module (to allow find in-scene references, e.g. check where some game objects or particular components are used at in the scene) and this is not going to be implemented in this iteration.

I'll raise priority for this request in order to move it in the queue closer to the production.

Yeah, this is pretty hard to implement in a proper way to make sure all possible constants and string literals are correctly processed, I'm afraid this is not going to happen in a visible future.

Thank you for pointing me out to this!

This is actually a kind of bug, since shaders are already manually processed for includes and fallbacks.
    It will be fixed within one of the closest updates.

34. codestage

codestage

Hey again @UnconventionalWarfare ,
    I just double-checked this and it seems it already correctly finds any kind of shader dependencies in Unity 2017.4 and 2019.3.0 beta 6.

Even fallback references are now correctly returned by Unity APIs, so I'm going to remove manual processing of fallbacks.

Could you please confirm you still have this problem and let me know which Unity version you're using and, perhaps, send a repro case where it does reproduces?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  35. UnconventionalWarfare

UnconventionalWarfare

@codestage I'll see to it the coming days. I am quite busy at the moment.

codestage likes this.
  36. UnconventionalWarfare

UnconventionalWarfare

Okay, sorry for the delay.
    I have tried to get this shader dependency issue to happen again, but I couldn't. No idea why.

I come back with a feature request however.
    Using the issue finder to find textures with dimensions that aren't powers of two and/or not divisible by 4. Finding those would be extremely useful, since they cause all sorts of trouble.

codestage likes this.
  37. codestage

codestage

Thanks, @UnconventionalWarfare

Regarding textures - thank you for the feature request, but does Non Power of 2 option of the Texture importer is not helping in your case?..

38. UnconventionalWarfare

UnconventionalWarfare

The issue that came up was that the game used a lot more RAM than it should have. It turned out that a lot of textures weren't compressed. Whether or not compression works depends on how you import the texture and its format. Since the assets folder is approaching 5GB in size, I was thinking that finding NPOT textures in Maintainer would be a nice addition. It would give you an itemized list of potential offenders.

codestage likes this.
  39. codestage

codestage

Thanks for additional explanation, @UnconventionalWarfare, I'll add this feature as option for the Issues Finder module in upcoming updates.

40. codestage

codestage

Hey everyone!

I'm glad to let you know Maintainer 1.6.0 is released and available at the Asset Store!

In this release, meet new Hierarchy Scope for the References Finder!
    - find Game Objects and Components references in opened Scenes (multi-scene setups are supported) or in opened Prefabs
    - find references to multiple Game Objects and their Components in one call
    - sort, search and inspect found references in one list
    - use Components and Game Objects context menus for quick access to this feature
    - as always, Maintainer will navigate you to the found reference as close as possible: you'll see exact Game Object, Component and Component field name in the found reference and you'll see only needed Component when you'll show the reference so you don't need to inspect all components to find it

Here is a Hierarchy Scope overview video:

And shorter GIF version is under a spoiler:
    1.gif

Among with this new feature, there are lots of other improvements and fixes were implemented, please see full changelog below.

- add new Hierarchy Objects Scope to the References Finder
    * add in-scene references search of Game Objects and Components
    * add Hierarchy context menus in addition to drag&drop​
    - add quick expand / collapse with right click at all tree views
    - add package manifest for future use with UPM
    - prevent prefab stage reopening while revealing in Unity 2018.3+
    - update UI appearance a bit
    - move foldout settings from Project Settings to User Settings
    - avoid active scene switch where possible while revealing in scenes
    - fix notification could stay for too long
    - fix buttons deactivation at References Finder module
    - fix "Material doesn't have a texture property '_MainTex'" error appearance
    - fix AddressablesReferenceFinder compilation error in Unity 2020
    - fix minor UI issues
    - fix and refactor internals a bit

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  41. UnconventionalWarfare

UnconventionalWarfare

We're trying to upgrade to 1.6.0, but it doesn't work. We're getting a whole lot of C# errors.

upload_2020-3-5_21-27-13.png

Happens in 2019.1 and 2019.3.

42. codestage

codestage

Hey @UnconventionalWarfare

Thank you for reporting this problem!
    It does not reproduces on my end so far though.

Could you please confirm you removed previous Maintainer version from your project prior to updating to the new one?
    One more question: does it reproduces at new empty project for you?

Thanks!

43. UnconventionalWarfare

UnconventionalWarfare

@codestage Thanks for the tip. I didn't think about deleting the old folder first. Doing that fixed it.

codestage likes this.
  44. UnconventionalWarfare

UnconventionalWarfare

I'm having a pretty annoying bug with the latest version of maintainer and Unity 2019.3.7. While searching for references to Materials, it seems to randomly open models in the standalone editors.
    The Windows 3D file viewer and Blender open automatically. It's as if I'm double clicking the models inside the project view, which I am not. I can see that it tries opening dozens of instances at once. It happens during "phase 2 of 2".
    upload_2020-4-1_20-15-58.png

codestage likes this.
  45. codestage

codestage

Hey @UnconventionalWarfare

Thank you for reporting this problem. This is a regression accidentally caused by the prefabs processing internal changes.

It will be fixed with next update ^^

46. HermesonBF

HermesonBF

I didn't know about the Maintainer's last sale and I ended up losing it, I'm looking forward to a new sale :)

codestage likes this.
  47. codestage

codestage

Glad to let you know Maintainer 1.7.0 is now live!

Among other fixes and improvements, this release brings new features as well, here are few to highlight:

Project Cleaner now takes last Build Report into account

Project Cleaner now can get use of last build report if present, to improve search accuracy (requires 2019.3+)
    upload_2020-6-23_4-50-33.png

Just make your game build and any subsequent Project Cleaner search will leverage last build report data.

New APIs for custom external dependencies processing added

Now you can add any third-party assets custom dependencies processing to the Maintainer.
    Here is an example for the sttz's Trimmer third-party "BuildProfile" asset which has no AssetDatabase dependencies:

upload_2020-6-23_4-50-26.png

Usage example:
    https://codestage.net/uas_files/maintainer/build_profile_parser_example.zip

- raise minimal supported version to 2018.4.0
    - Core:
    * add custom external dependencies support (thx Jesse)​
    - Project Cleaner:
    * improve accuracy using last build report (Unity 2019.3+)
    * allow searching with no ignored scenes​
    - References Finder:
    * add detailed references support for Lighting Settings asset (2020.1)​
    - remove legacy code
    - fix Lighting window path for 2020.1
    - fix possible null reference error while sorting outputs

48. codestage

codestage

Just for a heads up, Maintainer is on sale now with 50% off until 12 Jul! ^^

49. NikoBay

NikoBay

I've just bought this asset due to many high praises in review. Now I'm stuck at Reference Finder. I tried to search reference for a prefab which was set reference in a Scriptable Object and result is blank. Do I misunderstand anything here?

50. codestage

codestage

Hey @NikoBay,

Thank you for your purchase.
    Could you please share a bit more info on your case?

- what Unity version you are using?
    - does References Finder works for other assets which are referenced somewhere?
    - how does your Scriptable Object references prefab (what's the reference type, how it's exposed, etc)
    - does Project Browser's context menu item "Select dependencies" called for a referencing Scriptable Object selects referenced prefab?

Thanks!