Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Maintain the Game Content Area On Different types of screen sizes

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by sahilp97, Jun 4, 2020.

1. sahilp97

sahilp97

Maintain the Game Content Area On Different types of screen sizes

I Don't know If this is helpful for you guys, but i recently wanted to build an APK that runs both on Tablets and regular cell phone devices. Resizing UI was easy because its just tweaking some settings. But when it comes to show the same amount of gameplay content on different type of devices it was tricky, well at least for me. I known many of you guys have been in this place where in some devices u see more of the game view and in some of the devices u see less unless its the same resolution device which your game was made to run on. I searched a lot then i came across this post.

http://www.luispedrofonseca.com/unity-supporting-multiple-aspect-ratios/

Go and read it if you want to basically its something to do with the main camera. The post and the asset he was referring to was for 2D game. But the concept must me same for 3D also. There was nothing related to 3D anywhere.

I was just doing some random things with camera. And suddenly it all worked. I was able to maintain my game content area on multiple screen sizes, without any hesitations. Create a object of GameviewMaintainer class after importing the Provided .dll file into the project Then u just feed in Your Games Camera Reference, Reference target resolution and Which Device you are currently working on (Editor or Android) while creating object, and the script will do the rest. Beware that its not perfect. Till now this is what i have done. Just Keep the Orientation same for the final Game if its portrait than keep the whole game portrait or if landscape then keep it that way. do not let the orientation change in middle of the game.

Here is the link to the File : https://github.com/DARKLORD-SP/Maintain-Game-View.git

GameViewMaintainer gm = new GameViewMaintainer(myMainCamera, new Vector2(1080,1920), Device.Android);

Thats it! once the object is created it will maintain the Resolution.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Arnav_Sanghavi likes this.