Search Unity

Mailman - Deliver messages to your objects from the editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

While working on a new game, I found myself using SendMessage and BroadcastMessage as a means to decouple my components. It worked great however I quickly found that testing these pieces of logic required that I build up a lot of other code to get everything piped through. I figured it'd be nice to be able to just send messages manually from the editor. So I came up with Mailman.

Mailman is a very simple editor window that lets you send or broadcast messages to any selected objects in the scene. You can attach arguments and choose whether or not to require a receiver. With Mailman I can develop a small piece of functionality and then use Mailman to invoke it to test, without having to write any other component scripts.

I'm finishing up the asset store images and such, but wanted to share some images and the idea to get feedback. Is this something you'd find useful? Is there something I should add to make this more valuable? What price would you pay for this editor window? Right now I'm leaning towards $5 for the asset, but if that's too high or too low I'd love to know!

Update: Mailman has gone live on the Asset Store. You can now easily send messages to your game objects during testing for just $2. Enjoy.
    Update: Mailman is now free forever!.
    http://u3d.as/content/nick-gravelyn/mailman/3PE

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2013
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  3. MrIconic

MrIconic

Neat that you made it free. Looks promising. I hope you'll still be around to possibly keep it going even though you made it free. Anyways~ thanks.