Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Magical Elements

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Master-Frog, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I am looking for a system of elements for magical spells (fire, ice, etc.) and a variety of types (like Pokemon) and some kind of effectiveness system that has been well-thought out. I have some thoughts of my own, but I am interested to hear if anyone has unique ideas. I am not sure if I want to use a simple system with a few elements or a more complex system with lots of combinations (the last version of Pokemon I played had 18 types), as both could be fun. Depending on what elements and types I go with, it will determine what enemies go in the game, how many spells there will be, and more.

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

For uniqueness, what about something related to the theme of your game world?

For example, say magic comes from the life force of your game's races, so the elements might be Elf, Dwarf, Orc, etc.

Or perhaps they draw from the power of animals in your game world: unicorns, basilisks, cockatrices, etc.

Or say the lore is that three titans destroyed each other in battle, and the resulting cataclysm spawned the game world. Perhaps the elements come from the essence of three titans.

This gives it a little more character than a generic magic system that you could drop into just any old game world.

Master-Frog likes this.
  3. jamesyoung79

jamesyoung79

Chinese alchemy elements is always cool. It has been done well before a game that pops to mind that used it was Prince of Qin. The game overall was ok, but the use of the elements was an interesting twist.

TonyLi and Master-Frog like this.
  4. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I have always wanted a simple chart like this, something you could memorize or keep on hand. I think I should make my own like @TonyLi suggested. I can't see creating all new elements, but there might be something to each element belonging to a different race.

I think metal is a very cool element, although it is sad that the chinese elements don't include lightning, which I consider to be one of the basics.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  5. jamesyoung79

jamesyoung79

Its the concept behind it regardless what the actual elements are. Think of it as a paper rock scissors thing with the inner lines. Each element regardless of what you call it, is strong against one other as indicated by the inner arrows. For added complexity the outer ring arrows, show support in this situation, change that to what ever you want it to be. You could easily change wood to lightning. Then it would be lightning supports fire, I can see logic in that, and is strong against earth. The supports part could be thrown out or used for a combo type setup. Using the image for the example. The player uses a fire ability on a water opponent which is weak but the next ability used is an earth ability which is made stronger by the combo from fire. The earth ability is very effective against water and more so from the fire combo.

TonyLi likes this.
  6. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I think what matters is that there is a system, that it kind of makes sense and that it looks good. You can explain how magical elements work all day, but they are really whatever you make them to be. I have a six element system now and I like it. A circle just like that chinese one.

7. jamesyoung79

jamesyoung79

Sounds like you have it worked out then. One suggestion I could make with you saying you have 6 elements. If you think about them around the circle as in a polygon and draw a line to the opposite side that element could be used for some other effect. Given you said they are races it might work out that they are allies or something. Its hard to suggest stuff not knowing the whole picture but it would be something to think about that could add an additional layer of complexity.

8. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I made the circle so each one is 2x against the one that follows it, and 0.5x against the one behind it, and 1.5x the one two elements back. Somehow it makes sense. I am thinking about giving each element a unique effectiveness as well.