Search Unity

Magic Leap now shipping! (Sort of.)

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by JoeStrout, Aug 8, 2018.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

In case you have been living under a rock today, Magic Leap One (Creator Edition) is now shipping for $2,295.

It's only available in select cities though. :( Still, hopefully they'll open that up soon.

Perhaps it's time to add a Magic Leap sub-forum here? ML's own forums are awful, so I'd love to have a place here to discuss development for this interesting new platform.

2. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

3. LaneFox

LaneFox

I have a hard time justifying all these AR 'platforms'. Whats the incentive to adopt?

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

HoloLens is the only other AR platform. (Don't talk to me about your cell phone — that's just a silly stunt used to prove out some of the technology that will go into actual AR.) There is essentially no competition:
    • Viewer: exact same technology as MirageAR, but not actually in production
    • Aryzon AR Cardboard: cheap (literally cardboard) construction, and ARKit/ARCore tracking (i.e. laggy and imprecise)
    • Mira Prism: gave up on the consumer market completely; also uses ARKit/ARCore tracking
    • Ghost AR viewer: not in production; has raised less than $7k of its $80k goal on Indiegogo; uses ARKit/ARCore.
    • Lenovo Mirage (aka Star Wars Jedi Challenge): claims they're working on an SDK, but no sign of one yet.
    As for why to adopt: because it's awesome! :D I got to use a borrowed HoloLens for only a couple of days, but it was fairly life-changing (sadly, my life changed back as I had to return it to its owner). Obviously the price needs to come down and the FOV needs to come up, but I am 100% convinced that these magic glasses are the future of computing, and in 10 years will be as ubiquitous as cell phones are today.

SiliconDroid and LennartJohansen like this.