Search Unity

MadMan(Artur G.) Assets Thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mad-Man, Jul 26, 2014.

1. magique

magique

The problem is always that the store won't let you download it if it has a higher version, but if you have the package already downloaded then it imports fine as long as it is truly compatible. So, that's why I like to ask the author if it would work with an earlier version anyway. I've done this several times and I provide the author with my Unity store invoice and they provide me with an alternate download path. I don't want to pick up the asset right this moment, but I definitely want it in the near future.

2. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

3. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

magique - it will work, shaders are working even with Unity 3.5, while meshes and textures are universal - as always :)

wetcircuit - in some cases you are right, but notice that exterior windows are mathing manor interior ones, so you can build whole building together; in case of hospital it will not work - it has different interior segments. Anyway if you will have loading while entering the building, it may work with a proper level design.

4. magique

magique

Excellent. Thanks for the reply. I'll be looking to get this at some point for a future project.

5. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

Hello guys!

To all that are experience some problems with my packs inside of Unity 5. I'm working on updates already. New rendering pipeline requires a lot of extra work (metal and rough textures, new lighting system etc) so you have to give me a week or two to update them. I bet you will be satisfied with v5 versions of my packs ;)

Thanks for your patience mates!

All best,
    Artur

Hormic, pollolan, hopeful and 2 others like this.
  6. pollolan

pollolan

Thanks, I was about to post that I recently tried to re-import Abandoned Manor because some objects appeared "pink" - there was some kind of problems with the shaders I guess. Unity 5.
    However, it was the worst idea ever XD because when I deleted and reimported, I had some problems (that magically did not exist before)
    mostly stuff like:
    Assets/HorrorEnvironment_AbandonedManor/Standard Assets/Editor/Image Effects/DepthOfField34Editor.js(79,42): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'DepthOfField34': DepthOfField34, DepthOfField34.

they are considered critic errors so I can't even start the game unless I delete them. :/
    Any clue as to why in the world Unity is throwing those?

edit: okay, actually it's not working at all now even if delete them, the scene is all messed up. It says missing meshes everywhere, and In the console it says stuff like "Object GameObject (named 'curtain_d') has multiple entries of the same component. Removing it!
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI() "
    oh well.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  7. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Awesome! I'm watching the thread so please post once you update them!

8. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

pollolan - first error - Image effects problem - it's a really common and simple issue. In case of Unity 4.x series if that appears only thing you have to do is to reimport ImageEffects standard package and errors are gone. In case of Unity 5 things get a bit messed up as most of the Image Effects are completly different/rewriten by Unity Team and all you can do is to trash all ImageEffects related scripts inside of my pack, then delete Missin Monobehaviour component from Main Camera and finally populate it with brand new Unity 5 Image Effects components. Phew, sounds quite crazy, isn't it? ;) This is one entry from bunch of things that you will find in update. When it gets live, you will simple import package and it will be fine "out of the box". Just give me a little bit more time.

Second problem you've described looks like something really messed up, not to say that something rellay F****&^d up in your particular project (Unity likes to keep tons of crazy data in library and temp folders, they affects meta files as well). I've encountered such a behaviour a few times in a past and sometimes only thing that helped was to shut down unity, delete package via explorer (not Unity editor), delete library folder inside of you Unity Project folder, copy pack manually to assets directory and run editor. Unity will re-import whole project once again. Anyway you shouldn't do that if you aren't sure that something SHOULD work, but it's not and there is really something fuc(&*ed and it's not your fault, but Unity. Generally if you import my packs to Unity 5, deleting image effects scripts (ONLY them) SHOULD fix the issue and make all errors gone.

pollolan and OnePxl like this.
  9. shawn_t

shawn_t

Mad-Man, your assets look fantastic! Do you have any sales planned in the near future?

10. Nurviz

Nurviz

same question as shawn_t

11. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

Hi mates, I'm thinking about one week sale when all packs get ready for Unity 5 PBR, but as I can see already this will take me around a month. Still stuck with deadly deadline in my contract work ;)

12. Nurviz

Nurviz

No worries mate. Quality takes time. I'm in need of a contract 3D artist and may be in touch.

13. shawn_t

shawn_t

Thank you for the update! Good luck with your contract work!!!

14. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

Hi mates!

Manor exterior package with full PBR support is in review. Next good news is that I've decided to put each package for a one-week sale (70% off) after each PBR update. In other words every time pack will get updated to Unity 5 - it will be on sale for around seven days with 70% off. Just to get some new reviews about my PBR work (which is new for me).

So, stay tuned and everything is in hands of Asset Store Team new. Next package updated to PBR is going to be hospital one.

This is how it looks in Unity 5...

SecretStudio and Nurviz like this.
  15. Nurviz

Nurviz

stunning. can i buy this from you directly or is that not allowed?

16. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

Thanx! Generally it is allowed but I think that buying packs trough asset store works better mostly for you( updates, easy download, safe transaction etc ), but if you prefer to buy pack directly - simple e-mail me ;)

17. Aldo

Aldo

I don't know if anyone has brought this problem to you. (I didn't say before because Unity5 was new but I see you are working on updates)

Abandoned Manor pack lost all curtains, I believe there might be a bug with cloth meshes but I am pretty sure that you know more about 3D than me.

BTW you are doing a great work :D

18. OnePxl

OnePxl

Interactive cloth is out in Unity 5, is what it probably is?

hopeful likes this.
  19. Aldo

Aldo

yup that is it, sadly they were awesome :(

20. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

Ha! Got ya mates! Unity 5 still supports cloth (and it's faster and better as it relays on updated PhysX 3.3). It's a case of new cloth component - one from unity 4.x is just trushed in 5.x. So you have to delete old cloth component, add new one and setup whole cloth on your own, or simple wait for update - I'll fix that in U5 version for sure.

faduci and OnePxl like this.
  21. spraw

spraw

How long do you need for each update(roughly) and what will be the order?
    Not trying to rush you, it's just so I know when to check back :)

22. Nurviz

Nurviz

The manor exterior went up and on sale. I snagged it immediately.

23. hopeful

hopeful

Good eye! You found it even though it isn't listed in the "Latest" section of the asset store yet. o_O

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  24. Aldo

Aldo

No rush! I prefer to wait since it will look better ^^

25. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

spraw - about a week from my side and couple of days in review so around 10 days for each pack; Now I'm working on Hospital and Abandoned Manor, than I'll take care about Ghost Town and Bunker

Okey, somebody reported that "something" happends with AO post process after importing package in manor exterior. If anyone encounters that issue as well please - report. This is how it looks:

If you have this issue try to delete AO component from Main Camera, check if now everything works fine and bring ao component once again.

26. shawn_t

shawn_t

I just bought this too! Thank you for the sale and the great assets!!!

27. TobiUll

TobiUll

Are the models in this pack scaled incorrectly as in your
    HE - Abandoned Manor MegaPack v.2
    ?
    Or will you fix the models scale?

And do you plan do upgrade your packs to support Forward Linear rendering? It is Unity's new preferred way of rendering.

28. OnePxl

OnePxl

I thought it was deferred by default?

29. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

TobiUll - hi! In generall new default rendering method for Unity 5 is Deferred with Linear Color Space. Notice that even new created project has set as default deferred with linear color (even official presentations of new unity lighting system are recorded with deferred what proves that this method is prefered). But - notice that switching between these two methods doesn't affect my content highly - it changes performance and lighting a bit and that's all. It's up to you how you will use my assets. My assets are designed for deferred - but that desn't mean they will not work with Forward. They will, but not out of the box in case of performance.

In case of wrong scale notice that there is no such a thing like "wrong scale" untill you have a specific project where some assumptions are taken. For me content of other people is "scaled incorrectly" cause I'm using player height of 2 units (it's just simpler for me to make calculations while scripting if player is 2, not some sort of 1.643122feawsf ;)). Okey, just mumbling to myself - yea, all my packs are for player that is 2 units tall so answer is "yes, manor exterior has incorrect scale as well". But it has to be this way, cause it must fit manor interior brushes so you can use both packs to build one scene ;)

Btw - easiest way to change level scale is to root it and scale - only thing you have to do is to re-bake culling. Untill differences in scale aren't too big it will do. BUT, as my content relays on scale while snapping I would recommend to build level with normal scale, than apply desired transform.

30. TobiUll

TobiUll

Ok, I stand corrected on the rendering.

However, I did read that rescaling models impacts physics, and other manufacturers also obey the Unity real-world scale.

I bought that Manson pack from you, but I simply don't have the time to re-scale everything to fit together with other assets, so I would not buy anything else from you again.
    However, if you'd change the scale, I would buy anything. Great models, great artistical work.

31. OnePxl

OnePxl

I thought the Unity real-world scale was a 2 meter high character controller?

32. TobiUll

TobiUll

I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing here.
    The prefabs of the Manor pack are really off in aspects of scale.
    The door is like 3 metres high.

33. IFL

IFL

I think it's actually more like 1.6m to 1.8m depending on third vs first person. I'm pretty sure that they've strongly suggested using real-world scale for most real-world-scope games. The standard assets reinforce that idea.

From right to left: FPS character controller, standard Ethan model, Hospital door, cubes stacked to show meters. The Viking building in the background shows the size discrepancy as well. That Ethan guy looks like a toddler compared to that hospital door. It's simple to just scale down the meshes/prefabs, but it is kind of a pain.
    MadManHospitalDoorComparison.jpg

[EDIT] Actually, looking at the 2m stacked block as seen on the right of my image, that door is still way too big. These asset packs are gorgeous, and I have all but the manor exterior, but the size thing is pretty annoying.

[EDIT 2] Shrunk the picture.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    TobiUll likes this.
  34. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

TobiUII - you shouldn't assume that 1 unit always will be a 1 real world meter, I understand you are working this way, but you can't simple require that from all assets publishers. Anyway scale is relative - notice that your scale shows that my doors are almost square :D (both rules shows 3m) Just kidding, I see your point, really. Notice that if you will go my way I've pointed earlier for level scalling it won't be so time consuming.

As you can see even unity controllers/models aren't always scale perfect.

That's why I'm usually writing in package description that my player scale is 2 (and I mean position of the eyes, not collider height). I'm using my packs in my private projects where they fits perfectly. I wrote this a few times before in e-mails - you simple can't expect each pack to work out of the box for your project. Especially that adjusting scale of content is really easy, even if sometimes time consuming. It's still faster and cheaper than ordering custom content from an artist or doing it by yourself, isn't it? ;)

In fact there are a few games out that are using my content. I can see in these games a lot of CG from AssetStore and all fits together well. Why? They are developers and they knew hot to put all puzzles together.

EIDT: IFL and that is really strange. You've showed us doors from Anandoned Hospital. Look at example scene - character is perfectly 2 units tall with camera on top of it. Run game, get close to these doors. How it looks? ... Yea! It looks OK! Why your doors above are too big? Who knows, maybe it's just a perspective trick.

35. OnePxl

OnePxl

This discussion is interesting because "the feel" of a level has nothing to do with real-world dimensions sometimes.

Anyway, regarding Unity's advice about sticking to real-world dimensions; I'm sure that's meant to prevent you from building miniature sized levels, a 5mm car would totally trip up physics. But from 2 to 3 meters probably won't make too much of a difference.

36. IFL

IFL

:oops: I hope I didn't cause offense. I have no problem scaling your prefabs. I set them up before even starting construction so it's only about 10 minutes of work before it's out of my mind. Like I've said before, your asset packs are gorgeous, and I'm more than happy to allocate time to fix scaling issues with them. I just thought it was worth pointing out that there is indeed sometimes a need to scale them. For instance, in third-person games, the scale is kind of whimsical if left alone:

No perspective:
    MadManHospitalDoorComparison2.jpg

Next to counter:
    MadManHospitalDoorComparison3.jpg

I'm not trying to turn anyone away from your assets, just pointing out that there's a very slight bit of an annoyance in certain circumstances. That annoyance is by-far worth it when compared to the quality and detail of the packs. :)

I agree that "the feel" is more important than the accuracy, but it just doesn't "feel" right in some situations (like my 3rd-person images in this post or if there are going to be any other standard characters visible in first-person). Also, per the manual here and here:

• You can modify the Height and Radius to fit your Character’s mesh. It is recommended to always use around 2 meters for a human-like character.
    That's talking about the collider for the character controller, so the mesh itself should probably be around there too (shorter, preferably, to prevent penetration).

• Note that Unity’s Physics Engine is scaled as 1 unit equals 1 metre.
    So, if you have everything scaled up 1.5x then gravity will appear to be at 2/3 strength. Not huge for non-physical games, but still important.

Cheers

37. OnePxl

OnePxl

Of course, third person is something completely different, everything needs to be according to scale! :D

I specifically mentioned that car example, because car physics will go wonky, as will general physics if the scale of your scene is too large or too small. Especially the weight properties will be out of proportion for an object, a way too large tea pot needs to have an insane weight to act normal. You will definitely get into trouble with the physics. But a factor of 1.5 will probably not even matter, as long as you adjust everything. Though I'm not saying you should.

P.S. I'm pretty sure the size of an object does not influence gravity! :p

38. IFL

IFL

The scale of a single or a few objects does not influence gravity. The scale of an entire level doesn't even influence gravity. It does, however, change the appearance of the gravity. And to be thorough, it's not just gravity, but all forces in the physics world.

force = mass * acceleration
    Acceleration is a vector in space. If the scale of space is increased, the acceleration must be scaled to have the same apparent force.

Here's an example. Notice the time it takes the ball to reach the ground when falling and the point on the floor that the ball hits.
    With real world scale:
    HospitalRealWorldScale.gif
    With original scale:
    HospitalOriginalScale.gif
    I know GIFs aren't the best way to show comparative speeds, but they do well enough here to illustrate the main difference in gravity & momentum alone. Note that the lighting difference is because the light range is not scaled automatically in Unity.

I hope that explains what I was trying to convey.

39. TobiUll

TobiUll

I totally second IFL. Can't you just fix it and gain more satisfied customers instead of having us whining to get your assets fixed up?

40. IFL

IFL

For the record, I am a very satisfied customer and only brought up the scale difference because it is a *slight* annoyance upon first importing the asset packs.

Artur is one of the most skilled artists on the Asset Store, and I'm amazed that he'd ever sell his work for so little during the occasional sales. Oh, and his paintings (the few that I've seen) are pretty much on par with the best in the industry. As a very non-traditional artist, I wish I had his kind of talent. :oops:

@Mad-Man - the manor exterior is beautifully done. Rated 5 stars, and I'll write reviews for all of your assets tomorrow at some point. Cheers.

tmigh likes this.
  41. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

I can see that conversation develops in a good way :) Thanks mates for both - good words and critique. As this topic is meant (to be played XD) to connect us - me as a assets developer and you as a clients - I've decided to reverse my workflow. I'll be creating further packages for new default Unity 5 FPS controller (from new standard assets available on Asset Store). Anyway maybe it's a good moment to re-write my own controller with scale normalized to Unity standards. I'll live current packages as they are as many people are using them at the moment and don't want to destroy/impact their current work, but expect further packs to fit default U5 scale.

IFL - thanks for support ;)

Hormic and OnePxl like this.
  42. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

@Mad-Man I'd be fine if you update current packages to the U5 scale. Maybe you should put up a survey so people can vote.

Hormic, tmigh and TobiUll like this.
  43. TobiUll

TobiUll

I also don't have any problem updating the scenes I built with your models.
    +1 for survey.

tmigh likes this.
  44. sprawww

sprawww

No from me. Artur is handling this in a very professional manner and I like this approach. Just think of how many people bought his assets and don't even know of this thread, how would you feel updating your assets one morning just to realize the developer has changed the extreme fundamentals and you missed to vote on some random poll in a forum you might not even be registered at.

Let's be real here guys, it's not like working with these Assets is impossible, it's just a minor inconvenience and you can always rescale them manually.

OnePxl likes this.
  45. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

I prefer a re-do.
    Can't you add the correctly scaled models to the packs - perhaps using different names - while keeping the old prefabs for users who don't want to update? Users then can easily delete the folder that contains the old models and just use the ones in the new-models folder.

SecretStudio and tmigh like this.
  46. tmigh

tmigh

Models with correct scaling please.

47. OnePxl

OnePxl

I understand all of this, but it increases the pack's size. Maybe it would be better to include a script that resizes everything and then everyone could simply right-click and export as unitypackage themselves?

faduci likes this.
  48. tmigh

tmigh

I am aiming at gravity and just convienience, to me it would be worth the additional bytes to download, I want everything clean and easy, I am just a regular customer, not a great artist, unfortunately, but perhaps I reflect the usual customer with little time and high expectations. :)

49. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

Mates, I'm sorry but I can't touch fbx scale at the moment. There are THOUSANDS of people that have my packs. Touching fbx files will destroy/affect work of all of them. Scaling prefabs by hand and adding them as a additional content has no reason as you really can do that fast on your side - I bet we both prefer me to update all packs to PBR asap, port missing packs to UE4 and create new content instead of doing work that has been called a minor already :)

I see your point, but I have to make it clear - packs already released stays as they are (only update to PBR). All new packs will work out of the box for default U5 fps controller.

I'm glad you've pointed me that keeping to default scale is importand for you. You also have to understand me. I can't risk tons of e-mails after update that messed up "something" with scale after updating. Packs are quite big - small changes can affect things even I don't think of.

Hope you will get my point as well :)

Nurviz, IFL and OnePxl like this.
  50. Atogus

Atogus

Just bought the manor exterior pack, and I also had the AO bug when importing. Here's how it looked:

Manor.PNG

I deleted and re-added the AO component but that didn't fix it. Then I noticed the rendering path on the camera was set to "forward", I changed it to "deferred" and that fixed the problem!

Thanks for this great pack by the way!