Search Unity

'Made with Unity' games that run hot CPU and GPU

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jman0war, Sep 14, 2020.

1. jman0war

jman0war

I'm not a developer but thought it'd try and get some opinions on this from here.

I have a couple PC games that are "Made with Unity" and they run high temps on my CPU and GPU.
    3 games in particular, developed by different studios.

1. Fantasy General 2 - developed by Owned by Gravity https://www.ownedbygravity.com/
    2. Panzer Corp 2 - developed by Flashback Games http://flashback.games/
    3. Gloomhaven - developed by Flaming Fowl Studios: http://www.flamingfowlstudios.com/

On some discussion forums a couple devs said this is a problem with the Unity Engine.
    Someone else claimed that Unity fixed this bug a while back, but that developers may not be aware or know of the fix.

What are your thoughts?
    If the problem is the engine, then i suppose i'll steer clear of Unity games.

CPU at 90c
    GPU at 80c
    All possible graphic options turned to low setting, off/disabled

My system:
    MSI GS65 Stealth gaming laptop
    Win10 pro 64bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
    32 GB @ 1333 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - drivers updated.

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Temperatures of CPU and GPU are a function of work thrown at them. The more work they have to do, the hotter they get. Furthermore, since both CPU and GPU are in close physical proximity, one getting hot will likely warm up the other one too.

That said, a computer with adequate cooling should be able to withstand 100% load on both the CPU and the GPU without any issues. If it can't, it's the issue with the computer, not the software it's running. Since software cannot load the CPU or the GPU more than 100%, no software can be blamed for overheating your computer (this includes the Unity engine). You'll probably see it in any game that puts enough pressure on the CPU or the GPU.

However, that doesn't solve your problem. There are two ways to do it: increase cooling capabilities (get a cooling pad for your laptop) or decrease the load on the CPU and the GPU.

Decreasing the load on the CPU/GPU is a matter of making the games run at lower frame rate. Since you mentioned you disabled all graphics settings that had on/off switch, I assume you also disabled VSync, which will make the game run as fast as it can on your system regardless of the display refresh rate. I would first try enabling that, and if it doesn't help, try using an FPS limiter to reduce frame rate even further.

I'm not aware of any such bugs existing. If you have a reference number for it, I could shed some more light on it.

3. jman0war

jman0war

Frame Rate limiter.
    I have just tried Nvidia's Control Panel options and set a max 30 fps for Fantasy General 2 and this made a fair difference: CPU at 73.
    Gloomhaven still ran a bit high at 80 but maybe that's ok.
    Thanks for the tip

Maybe these games are not well optimized.
    Gloomhaven in particular since the world cells are all small and it has far fewer number of units on the map compared to the other games mentioned.

4. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Now this is just anecdotal and not hard science, but something I've personally noticed over time. I've been a developer with Unity for about 10 years now. During the Unity 4.xx timeframe I don't ever recall my GPU or CPU fans ever really spinning up for ANY Unity build I was testing. Didn't really matter what I threw at it. Nowadays using Unity 2018.xxx almost every Unity build I run spins up either or both of these fans loudly. Mind you have brand new workstations built specifically to be quiet machines. At first, maybe a couple of years ago I thought this was coincidence or maybe the one machine. After quite a bit of time had passed I noticed the same spinup on my AMD laptop fans...just about every time. I don't know what that implies. I figure it has to do with the complexity of default Unity builds now, with realtime GI and things like going on versus Unity 4.xx which had much simpler lighting and effects.

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Multithreaded workloads are also more effective at warming up your room since the CPU is now doing more overall work. Unity has gone a long way to parallelize parts of the engine compared to 4.x.

JamesArndt likes this.
  6. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I figured as much. I wish that had all translated into faster and better quality lightmapping or better performing mobile builds or even a snappier performing editor. Last year I was making test builds using Unity 4.7 versus Unity 2018.1 and the editor was lightyears snappier and more responsive in 4.7. My lightmapping in Beast worked beautifully and baked quickly. In 2018.1 my lightmapping was all sorts of borked and took nearly 3 times longer. My builds consistently ran faster with a more consistent and even fps across them in 4.7. I can't say all of this "parallelizing" has made the end user experience any better.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  7. masterco1989

masterco1989

Hi James, i can feel the struggle. Tbh 1000 devs continuously adding features into it, over the years it got heavy, that's kinda... natural lol.

8. RZR_SRT

RZR_SRT

Overheating in unity is a real problem. Currently I'm at prototyping stage with my project. Scene from video heats my GTX1070 to 60-65 degrees celsius. It's pretty cold in my room. Also I use MSI Afterburner with custom cooling curve, fans on GPU never stops. GPU temperature without load are in range 24-28C. In compare, I can run double-triple complexity scene in CryengineV, with parallax almost every where, 100500 materials + svogi + SSR at 40-45 degrees, with less lags.
    Both both projects are run in editor and 60 fps limit.

I will try to fix heating problem with custom shaders + build should be cooler about 10-15 degrees. Anyway 60 degrees for scene like my, even in editor mode is to much.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

60°C is barely halfway to overheating territory. It's nothing to worry about.

hippocoder likes this.
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nah.