Search Unity

Games Mad Mosh - Music (mostly metal) based game, request for Feedback

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by khos, Jan 12, 2020.

1. khos

khos

Working on a new project, been wanting to do for a while, for certain reasons (like relive the good old days maybe :)?).

It's a game about being a metal head, going to a concert, going mad in a mosh pit / night club, score points for all kinds of things like busting cool moves.
    Load your own dance tracks to "headline" in the pit, via mp3 or e.g wav format files.

Early gameplay vid:

Note that the above is a very early version, far from complete... working on lots of improvements especially related to the NPC/AI part.

Are there any metal heads out there, what are your thoughts to the above, is it boring, old or to weird?
    I would very much love to hear your view on this. Or even if you are not into this kind of music, I would like to hear your thoughts, if any!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    warthos3399 likes this.
  2. khos

khos

Been adding more (still needs some e.g. stain/graffiti textures!):

Restroom (literally for some) area: 1.png
    Need a break? Play some pool (not a minigame, should it be?)
    2.PNG
    Or go to bar area, get a drink: 3.PNG
    Adding Singer/drummer...
    4.PNG

Would be appreciative of comments, good bad or ugly!
    Is the lighting ok, or too dark, although it is in a nightclub setting...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 12:56 PM
    warthos3399 and manpower13 like this.
  3. welby

welby

it's pretty cool. and funny to watch. people flipping around like Beavis and Butthead thrashing to metal. Or feels like a side room for Guitar Hero with those graphics.

The idea of busting cool moves for points is fine. But unlike a game like Tony Hawk, since you dont have rails and ramps, you need something more interesting to 'pull' sick moves off of. maybe jumping off high elevations(tables, speakers, even other people).
    A more playable and visual 'fight' system may help. Combos etc.

It's like some after-Raid party at the City HUB on an RP server.
    ;p

It could be fun.

khos likes this.
  4. kdgalla

kdgalla

Maybe it's just me but the graphics seem really muddy. I thought those first two screenshots were just plain purple rectangles at first. If I strain my eyes, I can just barely make-out the character, but for objects in the background- I couldn't tell what they were.

khos likes this.
  5. khos

khos

Awesome, many thanks for feedback/views, much appreciated. The score system will include like an in-dance fighting style, with this kind of dancing/music you get moves like the "windmill" which is essentially someone just swinging their arms around violently, that can cause damage (I have experienced 1st hand, it's scary!), knock people down (Or being "Bodied" into a temporary ragdoll mode), still working on all of that/the animations.. game is still very early days, I think/hope it will look and play different when done with the plans I have :) I will probably stick with the graphic style, keep it a bit simple/cartoony.

warthos3399 and manpower13 like this.
  6. khos

khos

Thanks, I think the lighting / view in the screenshots could be related to Rendering path I have set.
    E.g.:
    Forward:
    forward.PNG
    Then deferred:
    deferred.PNG

Deferred seems to handle shadows nicer, with forward set the shadows pop randomly, not good!
    But also note, it will be a badly lit environment in a nightclub like this.
    Appreciate the feedback!

7. khos

khos

Working on detecting song's BPM dynamically, if the music stops the NPC's stop too, or when music starts then the crowd (NPC's) springs into action. It's a start:

Still lots lots of work to do....
    Your thoughts would be most welcome :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020 at 11:41 PM
    warthos3399 likes this.
  8. warthos3399

warthos3399

Killer idea, i myself am a musician (guitar/bass/drums/keyboard), and love metal (like alot of peeps).

Best bro
    Warthos

unityunity