Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Mad Level Manager - Level chooser and manager

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by genail, Jul 13, 2013.

1. valkia

valkia

How do I add some transition effect before level scene is loaded?

When a level icon is clicked, I want to trigger a transition effect before the game level is loaded up, do you know a easy way to do that?

2. genail

genail

Hello Valkia,

Transitions will be supported somewhere around 1.5, but if you know how to implement transitions on your own, I can guide you where to make changes in the code. I am away from home by tomorrow, but please write to me to support@madpixelmachine.com.

Cheers!

3. Edd2000uk

Edd2000uk

Hi Genail,

Please could you advise if there is any way to access the API from javascript, I had already started my game in javascript and am trying to see if there is a way to use your system without rewriting my code in c#.

Regards,
    Ed

4. genail

genail

Hello Edd2000uk,

Actually there is! Here's a little instruction that I've prepared for my other customer. If something won't work with the build process, please make sure that all Editor directories are located outside Standard Assets directory.

I'm going to write something more about this in the documentation in a day or two:

Cheers!
    Piotr

5. Edd2000uk

Edd2000uk

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for your speedy response, that's great I'll give that a try after work. One other question I had, when you pass arguments to a level what is the format for the arguments. I want to pass between 4 and 6 pairs of coordinates to act as starting points on a grid (i.e. 8 to 12 numbers). Would it work if I just list the numbers in the level arguments to act as the coordinates and then call them in code? Also your documentation mentioned that the argument could be used to pass a file that contains the details, what format would that file need to be and how would you use it please? Sorry if this is mentioned else where but I couldn't find it when I looked through.

Many Thanks,
    Ed

6. genail

genail

Hello again Ed,

The arguments that you can pass is a simple single string value. I didn't want to make it too complicated, and this is the simplest possible method. If you want to pass coordinates, the best way is to put them in the arguments string like this:

"1 2 3 4 5 6"

Then in the code of loaded level:

Code (csharp):
    2. var arguments = MadLevelManager.MadLevel.arguments;
    3. var coordinates = arguments.Split(' '[0]); // this makes an array of coords
    If you want to pass a file, you need actually to pass a file name, then load it on the other side. The most extreme way is to pass file contents as argument line, but I won't recommend that ;-)

Let me know if you have any other questions!

7. ritual

ritual

Hello,
    first off, nice work.. just what I was looking for.

I've been playing with mad level manager and I can't seem to figure it our or maybe its not supported but
    I need to be able to split the level .. for example in angry birds.. u choice the first world.. it takes you to a level selection screen
    once you are done with those levels it unlocks the next world with its own set of levels.

is it possible to do that with Mad level manager.?

8. genail

genail

Hello ritual,

In Mad Level Manager 1.5.0 I will introduce level groups. This functionality will allow to build multiple level select screens just like the ones in Angry Birds. I have a working version of it, because one of my clients needed it urgently. Still I won't release it in 1.4.0, which is practically finished and it's going through final test stages.

I can send you a version of Mad Level Manager with this piece of code. Please write to me to support@madpixelmachine.com with your invoice ID, and I will send it to you with brief instructions how to use it ;-)

Cheers!

9. Edd2000uk

Edd2000uk

Hi Piotr,

Thanks again for your speedy response. That's great all my questions answered for now I think. Great product by the way this will save me loads of time.

Regards,
    Ed

10. Edd2000uk

Edd2000uk

Hi Piotr,

In relation to this should auto completion work in monodevelop when using this in Javascript? If so I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if I have a problem with my Unity installation. I've moved the scripts folder and editer folder as described but the autocomplete doesn't seem to have any mad... items. I am new so may have missed something obvious is there something else I'm supposed to do to integrate it? The code does work in my project but the auto completion isn't there.

Cheers,
    Ed

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  11. genail

genail

I checked this just a moment ago, and auto completion doesn't work for me too. Unfortunately MonoDevelop is full of nasty bugs, and on top of that Unity comes with outdated version of this tool. Please look at this: http://unityvs.com/

P.S. Just found this: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/416662/mono-develop-lost-autocompletion-and-refactoring.html

12. Edd2000uk

Edd2000uk

Hi Piotr,

Glad it's not just me then, I'll check those links out. Thanks for looking into it for me.

Cheers,
    Ed

13. genail

genail

Announcement: Mad Level Manager 1.4.0 has reached release candidate stage!

But before it will be available in the Unity Asset Store it needs to go through our inner testing procedure, and then Asset Store review process. This will take probably around a week (two in the worst case).

I know that many of you are waiting for this release, so I will give an early access to unitypackage file to anyone who will private message me or write an email to support@madpixelmachine.com with his invoice ID.

Here's the list of features that 1.4.0 will introduce:
    • iTween-like easing while dragging
    • Two-step icon activation (support for events)
    • Grid: ability to set scale and offset for level icons and slide icons
    • Redesigned inspectors for grid/free layouts
    • Improved MadLevel API
    • API for accessing and manipulating graphics elements on level select screen
    • Much better mesh font support (support for BMFont/Glyph Designer)
    • Asynchronous level loading
    • Mobiles: support for “back” button

Cheers!
    Piotr

14. genail

genail

Mad Level Manager 1.4.0 is finally here!

This glorious day has come! Mad Level Manager ver. 1.4.0 is finally here and it brings many, many changes suggested by our great users. It is worth mentioning that this is our biggest release ever. Here you can read what has been changed!

Two-step icon activation
    Now you can configure your icons in a way that clicking once will only activate them, clicking twice will enter the level. What the activation will actually do is up to you, but you're able to simply setup the "click" sound and scale the icon that has been pressed. This is a situation similar to the one in 1.3.x version. There, icons were zooming in when the mouse was over an icon, but now you have the full control over it!

Support for the hardware "back" button on the mobiles
    In 1.3.x pressing the "back" button did nothing in particular. Now you can setup its behavior! It can load the previous level (in order) or load the specified level (main menu for example).

API for accessing and manipulating graphics elements of level select screen
    This is the best one! You can get the current layout using MadLevelLayout, then easily access all level icon objects, or move camera to the selected level. It gives you unlimited possibilities of how you can extend your level select screen. For instance you can easily append players avatars to any level icon just like in many popular Facebook games!

Mesh font support for BMFont/Glyph Designer
    Now you can prepare nice looking fonts to use with Mad Level Manager in your favorite font design tool! BMFont font format is widely used by many tools, and now Mad Level Manager supports it too!

Read More

iTween-like easing while dragging
    We've integrated iTween code into Mad Level Manager. Now all drag actions can be configured using well-known iTween easing types.

Smaller changes
    • Redesign of grid & free layout inspectors
    • Improved MadLevel API
    • Grid: ability to set scale and offset for level icons and slide icons
    • Possible asynchronous level loading
    • Generated game objects are hidden by default
    • And many, many more!
    Before upgrading
    Please read the upgrade notes!

15. genail

genail

Quick note: easings in 1.4.0 made dragging in free layout not smooth as it should be (this is rather a delicate way of describing how it is now behaving ;-) ). It will be fixed in 1.4.1a which I cannot currently submit for the asset store due to serious asset store server error.

If anyone encounters this or other issues, please write to me directly - I will send the updated package by email.

16. Edd2000uk

Edd2000uk

Hi Piotr,

Thanks again for a wonderful package. My level progress has stopped being saved. It lets me start at the first level and progress through levels but doesn't unlock them on the selection screen. So you can always only start on the first level. Is there a setting or something that controls this as I thought it was doing it before, not sure if I've changed something to make this happen. Does MadLevelManager.MadLevel.LoadNext() also unlock the next level or am I supposed to do something else also? I am on the latest update. This happens on the device, when trying in the Editor it throws the following error message:
    Cannot look at the last level: There's no last played level name
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    MadLevelManager.MadLevelAbstractLayout:LookAtLastPlayedLevel() (at Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/Base/Layouts/MadLevelAbstractLayout.cs:201)

Any ideas on what this could be please? It seems it's stopped saving for some reaason.

Regards,
    Ed

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  17. genail

genail

Hello Ed,

I've checked if I am able to reproduce this issue but with no luck. I know that this may happen, because "locked" property were handled incorrectly in 1.3.x. I want to ask you to check few things.

1. If you're using grid then check Grid Layout inspector and make sure that either "Hide Managed" is disabled or Setup Method is set to Manual. Don't save your scene afterwards.
    2. Find any icon in the hierarchy. It should be under something like Mad Level Root -> Camera -> Layout -> Panel -> Draggable (where it actually is it's not that important)

Now the things you need to check:

1. Make sure that your 'locked' property is set in here correctly.
    2. Each icon will have automatically set 'unlock on complete' to the next icon. Make sure that this applies to your case.

If the issue still persists (does it in the editor?), use the profile tool to save profile your profile string anywhere...

and make sure that @locked@ property is changing to b:False for the second level.

Answering your question: MadLevelManager.MadLevel.LoadNext() does not unlock the next level. The level select screen does when player enters it. If none of above will work, you can do something like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. if (MadLevel.HasNext(MadLevel.Type.Level)) {
    2.    MadLevelProfile.SetLocked(MadLevel.GetNextLevelName(MadLevel.Type.Level), false);
    3. }
    But this is only a workaround. Please let me know what was the cause. In the worst case please send me your level select screen (with prefabs and textures), so I can check it out.

P.S. Please also check the example scenes. Do this problem occur in the editor? In the worst case please try reseting your profile using profile tool. To reset the profile at your mobile device you probably need to uninstall the app including the data, then push it back again (but I really want to know why this is happening).

P.S2. Posting here your save (profile) file might help me a bit ;-)

18. Edd2000uk

Edd2000uk

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for your reply, I've tried that and all seems ok in terms of the setup but it's still not working. I have saved and attached the profile (renamed to txt so the forum would let me upload it) which does show that the value is not being changed.

I've not tried the code yet as a work around. I was thinking I call load next level from inside my game scene so once I am in the game I never go back to the level select screen, could this be the problem? Do I have to go back to the the level select screen once a level is complete? At the moment I simply call LoadNext() and then go to the next level straight away. When I come out of the game and go back in nothing has unlocked although when I'm actually doing the levels I can go to the next. Also if that is the problem is it why it's throwing the warning that it can't look at the last level because there is no last level played?

Regards,
    Ed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  19. genail

genail

Ahh I see it now! You're not marking your levels as completed!

Before calling MadLevel.LoadNext() please call MadLevelProfile.SetCompleted(MadLevel.currentLevelName, true) :)

20. Edd2000uk

Edd2000uk

Perfect that works now. Thanks again for your help. :D

21. genail

genail

Good to hear that! I wonder why it was working before...

22. Edd2000uk

Edd2000uk

Sorry to bother you again but this has just thrown up another question for me. If I wanted an option in my settings so the user can reset their profile, would I use UnregisterProfile or is there another way to do it? That method requires a profile name, is this just _default and if I use UnregisterProfile will it then reset it as it was before but with no progress (using the same profile name)?

23. genail

genail

Yes, this can be done in that way, but there's a better way :)

You can make yourself sure that profile that you want to reset is set as current by MadLevelProfile.profile = name, and then call MadLevelProfile.Reset(). Remember to reload level select screen if you're on it by MadLevel.ReloadCurrent();

Reference:
    http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmach..._mad_level_manager_1_1_mad_level_profile.html
    http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmachine.com/doc/latest/api/class_mad_level_manager_1_1_mad_level.html

Cheers!
    Piotr

24. Edd2000uk

Edd2000uk

Thanks again for your help. I'll give it a try.

Cheers,
    Ed

25. genail

genail

Update: Mad Level Manager 1.4.1 is out!

Here’s the first bugfix (and small features) release for 1.4.x line!

New Features

Offset and length setting for sprites radial filling

Until now filling started from the positive y axis and did full 360 degrees. Now you can configure where filling should start and where it should end.

Bug Fixes

Just removed one small compilation warning.

26. NelsonPRSousa

NelsonPRSousa

Hello,

When I press one level, in the level select scene, I do not actually enter into the scene: The icon that I selected 'scales' a little bit. Only with 2 touches I can enter into the scene. How can I enter with only one click?

Thank you.

27. genail

genail

Hello There!

You have to disable "Two Step Activation" in the grid/free layout inspector. Please look at the Mechanics section here:
    http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmachine.com/doc/latest/basics/grid_level_selector.html

Cheers!
    Piotr

28. NelsonPRSousa

NelsonPRSousa

29. genail

genail

Hug will do :D

Have fun!

30. mangustas

mangustas

Hi there. First of all, this one looks just amazing and this is what I really need at the moment. But before I buy Mad Level Manager may I ask one question? Can I make Level Lock/Unlock system with it? I mean for example if at Level 1 I will reach the number of stars I provided, when the Level 2 should unlock. Can I make such "magic" with this manager? :D Thank you :)

31. genail

genail

Hello mangustas,

Yes, you can ;-)
    All you need to do is to call MadLevelProfile.SetLevelCompleted(MadLevel.currentLevelName) or MadLevelProfile.SetLevelLocked("Any Level Name", false).
    Completing one level automatically unlocks the next one in the level select screen. All you need to do is to add one of above (I prefer the first one) into the code when you want unlocking to be done.

More info here: http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmachine.com/doc/latest/basics/save_load_api.html

If you're not familiar with scripting, you can always use Mad Level Manager PlayMaker support: http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmachine.com/doc/latest/integration/playmaker.html

Cheers!
    Piotr

32. yurilin1

yurilin1

Hi,guys.
    The plugin was great but still have some inconvient like somtime will force to start from the first scene but not the select level while in editor mode.
    That's not the problem ok.Here is the essienial.

I've tested your plugin with windows phone 8(LUmia 520) and find it impossile to pass the compile.
    Found the problem as follows

=========================================
    var strData = Convert.FromBase64String(strVal);
    strVal = Encoding.UTF8.GetString(strData);
    =========================================
    These 2 won't pass the wp8 phone compliler.
    If I comment it everything work fine(maybe wrong if use property)
    So anyway to change these to api so that could fit to wp8 system.

No other problem with wp8.Just this little flaw.

33. genail

genail

Hello yurilin1!

I'm not sure if I understand, but if you're saying that it's not the problem, then it's OK for me ;-)

What is the error message? I assuming that for some reason Windows Phone 8 doesn't have the Convert and Encoding classes? That's a bummer... I think I can find the way out, but after the weekend. Is that OK?

Cheers!
    Piotr

34. genail

genail

Note to all my clients

I've found some important bugs in Mad Level Manager 1.4.1. These are:

* Grid layout rebuiling was broken (very, very nasty bug)
    * No longer displaying warning about last played level in the editor
    * Fixed drag animations on faster machines

Version 1.4.2 which has this issues fixed it is now in the review queue and will be available soon.

But after 1.4.2 will be released, there is 1.4.3 in the pending queue. Today I've found out that sometimes you may enter the level, when you just wanted to drag your screen around. Asset Store review procedure is quite slow, so I believe that 1.4.2 will be available around Monday, and 1.4.3 at the end of next week.

I don't want any of you to wait so long, so if you experience any of these issues, please write to support@madpixelmachine.com with your invoice id, and I will send you the newest package as soon as I get to my inbox.

Important!

I'm off on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but it's no problem to me to send you the packages as soon as I get to my iPad. People who are contacting me constantly already knows, that I'm off for the weekends ;-)

Bonus!

I'm working on the new themes. Will be available on the Asset Store soon!
    http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6882758/MadLevelManager/theme-desert/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

Cheers!
    Piotr

35. genail

genail

Mad Level Manager 1.4.3 is out!

In fact there were two releases in a relatively short time (1.4.2 and 1.4.3). This is because we're fixing bugs like crazy, and still there are more to fix.

Bug Fixes

Fixed drag on faster machines
    We noticed that screen drag started to act weird when FPS has increased.

Grid layout rebuilding was broken
    Caused one big mess when we tried to rebuild the grid layout.

Fixed touch events
    Sometimes when user tried to drag level select screen, he entered the level.

Two-step activation is disabled by default
    There were many confusions why levels were loading so slowly. In fact there was two-step activation enabled by default, and first step (first click/icon touch) did nothing at all.

And...

• Warning about slide icons was removed
    • Warning about the last played level in the editor is not displaying
    • Friendlier message when more than one level configuration is active

36. cryogee

cryogee

Hi

I just bought it and I have some basic questions

a. What is the easiest way to give a back to home button on the level select screens. Can I just drag drop a sprite button on the level select screen?
    b. When I select a level , there is no animation or any feedback to the user and the screen moves to the corresponding level screen. As per apple guidelines I would prefer that some sort of animation or color changing or button becoming slightly larger is shown to user so he knows yes his button touch was registered by the screen
    c. When Im dragging/swiping my finger to move to next page, if I am touching the center of the screen where all the level numbers are then, sometimes the scene for that level is loaded. Please disable the selection of a level when the page is being swiped.

37. genail

genail

Hello cryogee,
    Thank you for purchasing Mad Level Manager!

a. To create a sprite with Tools -> Mad Level Manager -> Create UI -> Sprite. You can place it under an Anchor (created in similar way) to stick your button in desired position regardless of screen resolution. Then you have to setup a callback. Write a new script that will be attached to that sprite and do something like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. var sprite = GetComponent<MadSprite>();
    4. sprite.onTap += (s) => GoBack();
    5. sprite.onMouseUp += (s) => GoBack();
    Of course you have to implement the GoBack() method :)
    I must put this into the documentation. Lots of people are asking about it and I don't know why, but I haven't wrote about it yet in the docs :/

b. This is easy! Please look in here. There's an option called Two Step Activation. Depending on what behavior you want to get on desktop devices you can:
    - Set to Only On Mobiles and then make on hover animations on desktop. You may want to do this, because mobiles cannot handle mouse hovers (we all know why ;-) )
    - Set to Always

Then you have to attach MadAnimation script, but instead of explaining of how should it work, I will write an documentation page and write you back when it's finished. Please give me a moment ;-)

Cheers!
    Piotr

38. genail

genail

39. cryogee

cryogee

Thank you

40. deiong

deiong

is it possible in grid to have a different background for each page??

41. genail

genail

Hello deiong,

Unfortunately it is not that simple. With Mad Level Manager 1.6.0 you will be able to create level groups, and then by creating many level select scenes you might be able to do that, but this is rather a workaround of some sort.

You're not the first person to ask for this feature. I will add it to my redmine to implement it in the future version ;-)

Cheers!
    Piotr

42. genail

genail

Update: Mad Level Manager 1.5.0 has been released into the wild!

Mad Level Manager 1.5.0 is here! With this version you will receive ability to create bullets and experience a lot of improvements for free layout and background displaying.

Features:
    - Bullets for Grid Layout
    - Background is more configurable
    - Free Layout: Scale to background width or height
    - Sprites: Ability to set sprite border

Improvements:
    - Free Layout: Easier Setup
    - Level Configuration GUI Improvements

Bug Fixes:
    - Fixed errors when creating new icon from scratch

Full article about the new version is available here!

43. deiong

deiong

is this correct?
    if I want to have one star enabled I would use

Code (csharp):
    2. EarnStar("star_1");
    3. MadLevelProfile.SetLevelBoolean(MadLevel.currentLevelName, name, true);
    4. MadLevelProfile.SetCompleted(MadLevel.currentLevelName, true);
    and for two it would be

Code (csharp):
    2. EarnStar("star_2");
    and three is

Code (csharp):
    2. EarnStar("star_3");
    only reason I ask is when I ran a simple test for 3 I used the star_3 only and back at the level selector screen only the third star was highlighted... am I supposed to use

EarnStar("star_1");
    EarnStar("star_2");
    EarnStar("star_3");

or should simply using the

EarnStar("star_3");

be enough to show all three stars??

thanks

44. genail

genail

Hello deiong,

The third star was the only one enabled because each star is a separate property.
    Think of it as a list of items. You have to put all 3 items to your box to have all three of them. If you'll put only the third item, you will have only one in fact. ;-)

Cheers!
    Piotr

45. deiong

deiong

I was planning to use this with a ad on the bottom, however I am trying to figure out how to know when a level is selected, so I can either hide or destroy the ad window so its not interrupting the game. thanks

46. genail

genail

Hello deiong,

I think the easiest way is to find method LoadLevel() in MadLevelIcon.cs and put your code in there. I will add messages support when loading levels in future version :)

Cheers!
    Piotr

47. deiong

deiong

worked. thanks :)

48. genail

genail

Please try to delete Mad Level Manager directory and import it again.

Cheers!
    Piotr

49. genail

genail

Then please do not delete it, import it again instead.
    Also please try to import iTween from the Asset Store. I am confused because it shouldn't be needed.

You shouldn't delete the page objects because they are generated. If you want less levels, please adjust your level configuration.
    http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmachine.com/doc/latest/tutorial/your_first_level_select_screen.html

50. genail

genail

Hello Nabeel,

No, you only have to add new levels in your current configuration.
    There's no difference between 1.4.x and 1.5.x when talking about levels setup. 1.5.x only added some new features and fixed errors found in previous version ;-)

Cheers!
    Piotr

unityunity