Search Unity

Mad Level Manager - Level chooser and manager

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by genail, Jul 13, 2013.

1. rickcollette

rickcollette

Sending a PM now with a link.

2. genail

genail

Got it, checked it, and I believe that I found how to fix it. It seems that level configuration don't track scenes renaming. Please let me know if this is the issue. (details in PM).

3. rickcollette

rickcollette

So - The issue I am having is that the first level runs great, and stars are applied to the level. The issue is that once level 2 is unlocked, stars are never applied to the second level..

4. genail

genail

Sorry I think I've missed it somehow. Please check your score boundaries. I believe that it's nearly impossible to reach at least one star at the second level.

5. rickcollette

rickcollette

i had a typo - 100k instead of 10k - ill fix and check when i get home today.. :)

6. genail

genail

Found it and changed to 10k. Seems like level 2 stars are working now. ;-)

7. genail

genail

8. rickcollette

rickcollette

ok - now I'm just doing something boneheaded. I started a new project, I used the original one for testing both level manager and some other stuff, and now, wham I click on the first (unlocked) box in the grid (1), nothing happens.

$Screen Shot 2013-11-02 at 5.46.12 PM.png
    I did the same thing as before - stepped through the docs so I wouldn't miss anything.. but clearly I have.. ideas?
    :D
    "don't take a Vicodin while editing your games.."

EDIT: So - if I build it, and run the executable, it works. But if I run it in the editor.. it does not.. weirdness. Then.. after I've built it once, it now works in the editor.. loopy :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  9. genail

genail

Have you changed your build platform in the meantime? Mad Level Manager 1.1.2 and below won't allow you to make clicks in the editor when you're on Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry or iOS platform, but if you changed it to PC or Web then it was working just fine. 1.1.3 fixes that issue. Please consider updating to 1.2.0 ;-)

10. rickcollette

rickcollette

I updated everything with the new project.. I am pretty sure it isn't your manager doing this; it has to be something I'm doing, just posting here in case someone else sees the same issue :)

Also - I just bought your Energy Bar Toolkit - :) I figure I have asked a lot of help.. need to contribute more $$ to the cause.

11. rickcollette

rickcollette

Updating to 1.2.0; Everything seems to be going ok; I think I just have one small issue to work out, and then I'll be able to start linking my levels together.

Now the second level never unlocks. level 001 in the Mad Level Root shows "unlock on complete" as level 002.. yet 002 never unlocks... really weird.

12. genail

genail

Do you see any errors or warnings?

13. isacan

isacan

Code (csharp):
    1. E/Unity   (29239): (Filename: ./Runtime/ExportGenerated/AndroidManaged/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)
    5. E/Unity   (29239):
    9. I/Unity   (29239): NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    13. I/Unity   (29239):   at MadLevelManager.MadLevelProfile.ReadLevels () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    17. I/Unity   (29239):   at MadLevelManager.MadLevelProfile.get_levels () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    21. I/Unity   (29239):   at MadLevelManager.MadLevelProfile.SetPropertyEnabled (System.String levelName, System.String property, Boolean enabled) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    25. I/Unity   (29239):   at GameManager+<GameOver>c__Iterator10.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    29. I/Unity   (29239): UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(String, Object)
    33. I/Unity   (29239): UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(String)
    37. I/Unity   (29239): GameManager:Update()
    i got this error version 1.2.0a in my Lg Nexus 4

14. rickcollette

rickcollette

none at all.

I'm going to build a small project to see if I can reproduce the issue. I'll follow up with whatever I find out.. and hopefully something less nebulous than "I get this issue, but no error and also no way for anyone to help pinpoint it" :)

EDIT: Ok - I rebuilt from all pristine stuff on the asset store, made the changes to incorporate the MLM, and sent you a PM with a link to the problem package.

Thanks!

15. genail

genail

16. isacan

isacan

Nope

problem contiunes..

17. genail

genail

Hey again,
    I've checked this ReadLevels() method from your stack strace and I found out it was renamed to LoadProfile() in 1.2.0a (so it shouldn't exists). It seems like your build is still using 1.1.3 or below.

18. genail

genail

Update: Bugfix release Mad Level Manager 1.2.1 is out!

This time a small release, but this issue sometimes caused Mad Level Manager to be unusable unless you know what to do.

Bug Fixes:
    • Under some circumstances MadLevelProfile.LoadProfileFromString might throw NullReferenceException

[ Release Notes ] [ Asset Store Link ] [ Support ]

Edit: If you're not experiencing the bug above please postpone the update. One more issue has been found. It's easy to fix, but if you do not experience the one that 1.2.1 intended to fix, then please wait for 1.2.1a version.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  19. genail

genail

20. rickcollette

rickcollette

Is this part of the 1.2.1a fix, did I run into something new, or did I miss the solution to this in this forum or website?

Assets/Mad Level Manager/Scripts/Mad2D/MadFontBuilder.cs(7,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

21. genail

genail

This is my fault, I'm sorry for inconvenience :-(

http://redmine.madpixelmachine.com/...ng-a-using-directive-or-an-assembly-reference

22. rickcollette

rickcollette

23. genail

genail

Wow, that's a new one. I believe that i forgot to move MadFontBuilder into Editor directory. Please move it to look like this:

I am now checking if there are some more "features" that I missed last time.

Edit1: There is also a problem with StringReader. I need some more time to fix this.

Edit2: I've sent you 1.2.1b version. Anyone who is experiencing similar behavior please write to support@madpixelmachine with your invoice number, and you will receive hotfix by mail.

More about that issue:
    Looks like I write new things faster than I test them. This issue appeared when tried to compile MLM for mobile platform.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  24. rickcollette

rickcollette

woohoo! I'll test this with my app when I get back to my desk this afternoon - thank you!

25. genail

genail

You're welcome! Let me know if everything is working as expected ;-)

26. rickcollette

rickcollette

Dope as heck. Worked perfectly. I gotta say.. I am so bloody happy with this kit..
    Now, I have only been working with the grid layout - can't wait to try the Free Layout for the web version :)

27. rickcollette

rickcollette

Question - on mobile, when you touch a level icon, they don't focus/expand/grow/whatever we're calling it - it that expected behavior? Or did I (again) miss a step somewhere?

28. genail

genail

Unfortunately mobile devices doesn't support "hover" action with touch input (for obvious reasons ;-) ). With Mad Level Manager 1.3 or 1.4 I will introduce two-step icon activation. First touch will activate the icon element (like mouse hovering), second touch will enter into the level.

29. rickcollette

rickcollette

gotcha - I was thinking there was like a 2-stage thing where when you touched the icon, it grew then loaded that level ... I must have been confusing it with the web or editor gameplay

30. genail

genail

Do you want this feature to be prioritized? I could implement it within a few days.

31. rickcollette

rickcollette

no way - you have a dev path you plan to follow, and I don't plan to derail you :)

keep on coin' what you are doing dude.. its awesome.

32. genail

genail

Thanks! ;-) Please follow this thread to be up to date when this feature will be released :cool:

33. genail

genail

Update: Bugfix release Mad Level Manager 1.2.2 is out!

This release continues 1.2 line with more fixed bugs.

Bug Fixes:
    • MadLevelProfile was not storing strings property
    • MadLevelProfile profile management was sometimes acting unexpected

[ Release Notes ] [ Asset Store Link ] [ Support ]

34. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Hi genail,

i bought this asset and want to combine it with my game and it worked to the free level selector point of your tutorial.
    So from there i can load my first level but what do i have to do at the end of the level so that i free the lock from the second level.

I tried to look at your example scene but that confused me even more because there are no real level so i can not see what happen there as a non coder.
    I would suggest that in one of your next updates you put real level/scenes into your demo so someone like me can at least try to learn from them.

Also it would be nice to have a non coder tutorial ;) on how to setup the star system and profile system.

Then i have a simple button in my game scenes that should gibe my players the possebility to easy jump to the level selector, do i have to make something so it works with your system or can i simple load the level selector scene?

Your system is real nice, only i am, as a non coder, have little problems to understand it completly.

Edit:
    Try to find the right script/scripts in the MadLevelTester scene to learn from how the Back to menu button is working and also on how the star and unlock system is working but the scripts are scattered everywhere :(

When i click on the manager i think i get to see the right scripts in the inspector but they only lead me to the hierarchy. I think i do not understand this.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  35. genail

genail

Hello RandAlThor,

Thank you for purchasing MLM!

Please look in here. Normally to unlock next level you need to set completed flag to the current one. To do this you should call:

Code (csharp):
    1. MadLevelProfile.SetCompleted(MadLevel.currentLevelName, true);
    If you want to unlock more levels you should specify their names in this call:

Code (csharp):
    1. MadLevelProfile.SetCompleted("Level name to unlock", true);
    I will, thanks ;-)

Please take a look here.

If you defined your level select scene in the configurator all you need to do is to call MadLevel.LoadLevelByName() with this level name. For instance:

Code (csharp):
    1. MadLevel.LoadLevelByName("Level Select Screen");
    You can read more about level workflow API here.

Do you own PlayMaker?

There's only one script that is managing actions and it's attached to manager GameObject. Please look for script called MadLevelTesterScript.cs.

Please let me know if you have further questions ;-)

36. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Yes i own playmaker and thank you helping me here.

37. genail

genail

I will develop PlayMaker support shortly. I'll announce it in this thread ;-)

38. rickcollette

rickcollette

is something wrong with the madpixelmachine.com site?

I was trying to get to the docs - maybe someone can tell me:

* how do I get a background image to repeat - or load multiple background images for the grid view?
    * How can I make it so that the grid page is focused on the next available level?
    - Example: a 3x2 grid - once I complete level 6, it should slide to the next screen of levels. When I finish level 7, it should still be on that page, not page 1.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  39. genail

genail

Damn Apache... After the upgrade its process hangs...

Can you wait for a day or two? I will provide you with 1.3.0 version with offers all this features ;-)

40. rickcollette

rickcollette

Now now.. I upgraded apache across 16000+ boxes a few months ago! none hung :)
    I just wanted to say that.. It was the first time I effected such a huge change and it was awesome...

Oh yeah... Totally. I'm in no hurry. My game is not going out til January anyway :)

41. Jerware

Jerware

Really glad you're adding PlayMaker support. I look forward to this. Also, I noticed another level manager in the Asset Store includes "transitions" between screens/levels (fades, wipes, etc.). I realize you're adding features as fast as possible, but is this on your roadmap?

42. genail

genail

I think that the culprit was WordPress plugin, which caused apache threads to long very, very long time for something. In result traffic over 80 was completely blocked. Don't know if this was the case, but I'm hoping so!

P.S. Nice number ;-)

43. genail

genail

Hello Jerware,
    Yes, it is! I was hoping to add transitions in 1.3.0, but I want to release it today or tomorrow, and if I would do it now it will be delayed for too long. I've learned that postponing version releases because of unfinished features is very bad thing to do. Transitions should be available in 1.4.0.

44. shakhruz

shakhruz

Hi genail,
    First of all thank you for this very useful package that saved days of work for me :)!

I have almost everything working, just have a problem with passing arguments to a scene. I found in your code that you even = ""; arguments before opening next level. I can make a workaround, but I would be great to actually have arguments from configuration to be available in the level scene. Could you please look it up?

45. genail

genail

Hello shakhruz,
    Thank you for purchasing Mad Level Manager!

Today I'm sending new version for the review. In the meantime please check your inbox ;-)

46. genail

genail

Big Release: Mad Level Manager 1.3.0 is out!
    One month after releasing Mad Level Manager 1.2.0 next big release is now available on the Asset Store! Again some bigger changes were introduced, and here I will try to highlight the most significant features.

Background Tool

Background script was previously available beginning with version 1.2.0, but in 1.3.0 it has been made to be usable for wider range of users. Backgrounds can be created from the main menu, and with very user-friendly inspector GUI is very easy to add, arrange and configure as many background layers as you want. Try it yourself!

Read Documentation

Introducing Second Theme

New general-purpose, high-quality theme is ready and released to use freely in any of your games! Just locate Theme2Scene.unity in Themes/Theme2 directory, play with it, customize it, benefit from it! It's a great boost to create your own game!

Launch Demo

"Look At Last Level"
    Level select screen usually have so many levels, that they need to be split to multiple screens. When using Grid Layout now you can select option called Look At Last Level, so when going back from any level to level select screen, it will automatically show page on which is last level that has been played.

Read More, Launch Demo

And More...

Improvements
    • Level names in the Hierarchy are now real level names
    • Level configuration displays error when two levels has the same name
    • When level configuration has errors, user will be notified about it just before entering the play mode
    • Reduced number of allocations per draw
    • Improved undo system
    Bug Fixes
    • When scene object was renamed, the configuration could lost reference to it
    • Argument passing was broken for first scene
    • Editing level configuration breaks layouts until hitting the Play button
    • Fixed Level Configuration rendering with pro skin
    • Changing configuration when not in level select scene caused it to throw errors when loaded
    • Fixed editor errors when creating new level configuration
    Before Upgrading
    Please read this information about upgrading from 1.2.x to 1.3.0.

[ Blog Post ] [ Release Notes ] [ Asset Store Link ] [ Support ]

47. genail

genail

PlayMaker integration is ready!

Rejoice all PlayMaker and Mad Level Manager users! Here is the day, when you are able to take full potential of Mad Level Manager and PlayMaker together! Let me now introduce the integration package!

You don’t need to update anything (assuming that you own the latest version of Mad Level Manager). Please go to PlayMaker Integration documentation page for instructions how to install and use it.

48. Jerware

Jerware

Thanks for PlayMaker support. I just purchased MLM because of this news.

49. genail

genail

50. isacan

isacan

Hello genail,

Any chance like Cut the Ropes levels and sublevel selection?