Search Unity

Mad Level Manager - Level chooser and manager

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by genail, Jul 13, 2013.

1. genail

genail

Thanks! Please check your inbox :)

2. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

Hello @genail,

I'm trying to figure out how to configure the groups properly and how to make them work. I've read documentation in the web site but so far it doesn't work as I want.

So, this is what i have.

1. Active configuration
    2. This active configuration has 6 groups.. more to come
    3. Each of this group does have a first scene which is unlocked.
    4. All level names are unique, lets say I have a level named 100 but in the second group it shows it as 1... so it doesn't take the lvl name but takes it by the order.

And before the lvlselect screen comes out, do I have to create a seperate scene with the buttons to each group?? how does it work?

3. genail

genail

Hi!
    From what I see you have more questions than one. If you'd like your level to display your level name instead of ordered number, you have to do a simple trick. On your level number object make sure that there's no Mad Level Property set to that object, and this object is NOT set as "Level Number" in Mad Level Icon. By default it looks like this, and you have to unset it:

Screenshot_1.png

Then create a new script and make it like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. void Start() {
    2.     GetComponent<MadText>().text = GetComponentInParent<MadLevelIcon>().level.name;
    3. }
    Attach it to level number object, save the prefab and make sure that your grid layout is using your new icon :) You won't see level names in editor but only in runtime, so you can try to add [ExecuteInEditMode] annotation to your new script.

About groups, here's more detailed doc. Have you seen it?
    http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmachine.com/demos/groups.html

4. Meena_Fari

Meena_Fari

Hello @genail
    I recently purchased MLM. It is a great tool and helped me a lot in my current project. I just have a question is there anyway to create multiple profile system in my game as like in Call of duty , we first have to create our profile (in single player) then we continue our game. Can you help me out in it? Create, Delete, Load profile screen. Through MLM, Thanks

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  5. genail

genail

Hi!
    Yes, there is :)
    Please see the following section: http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmachine.com/doc/latest/basics/save_load_api.html#profiles

Please let me know if you have more questions!

Cheers!
    Piotr

6. Meena_Fari

Meena_Fari

Ohhhh Thank You so much...
    One more thing when I am Loading profiles by this line of code Debug.Log("Existing profiles: " + MadLevelProfile.profileList);

then at unity console window, I am getting that answer. not exact profiles names. gen.PNG

7. genail

genail

Hello,
    I'm sorry, for some reason I didn't get a notification about your response.

That's because by default there's no profiles, only the default one which isn't on the list :)
    To create a new profile please do:
    MadLevelProfile.RegisterProfile("MyProfileName");

There are some more examples on the documentation page linked in my previous post.

Cheers!
    Piotr

8. Meena_Fari

Meena_Fari

Thank You, but I had created many profiles, not only default profile, about 5-6 profiles, but still not displaying. Proof is attached. :) profile.PNG

9. genail

genail

Oh I see now. I'm sorry, my mistake :)

Simply converting array list to string won't display its contents. Please see for yourself:
    foreach (string profile in MadLevelProfile.profileList) {
    Debug.Log("profile: " + profile);
    }

10. Meena_Fari

Meena_Fari

Thank You so much.. it worked for me... You did a great job :)

11. kaplica

kaplica

Hi,

A quick question before I buy, my app is based on a single scene approach, so there is only one scene and my level is stored in xml, so how would I make this work with your plugin?? Thanks.

12. genail

genail

Hi!
    MLM has been designed to work with scenarios like this one :)
    First of all you create "Levels" using only this single scene. Then each level can have arguments. As an argument I recommend to use xml file name. Finally when your level (scene) is loaded, use MadLevel.arguments to access argument line for your level. While it contains xml file name, use it to load your level data. And that's all! Please see the following documentation page:
    http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmachine.com/doc/latest/basics/level_configuration.html

Please write to me here or to support@madpixelmachine.com if you have more questions.

Cheers!
    Piotr

13. kaplica

kaplica

Okay, so I use arguments to bring up the levels I want? Because everything is one scene, I have many mini-games and I disable/enable them. And how easy is to adapt your own designs like from photoshop? My app won't suit "fancy" designs, it will be something very simple and professional so I can't use any of your themes...

14. genail

genail

Basically yes :)
    Here you can find some resources about customization:

http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmachine.com/doc/latest/advanced/creating_icons.html
    http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmachine.com/doc/latest/advanced/icon_animations.html
    http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmachine.com/doc/latest/advanced/creating_background.html
    http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmachine.com/doc/latest/advanced/setting_up_bullets.html
    http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmachine.com/doc/latest/advanced/creating_font.html

15. ponasoft

ponasoft

Any plans for new gui? after a while i decided to use mad level manager. i am making turn based game i will focus on more combat and later add levels with mad level manager.

johanneskopf likes this.
  16. genail

genail

Hello @ponasoft,
    Unfortunately not anytime soon. If you have any issues with the current UI solution, please let me know. I will assist you as good as possible.

17. Meena_Fari

Meena_Fari

I have quick question that, I am using MadLevelManager and using its profiling() create, load, and load) can you guide me where it is storing records of profile, by default.
    Thanks in Advanced :)

18. genail

genail

Hi!
    By default it's using PlayerPrefs as a backend. Here you can find where the data is stored:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/PlayerPrefs.html

Cheers!
    Piotr

19. Baraff

Baraff

I was looking at this for use in a game but I noticed that others had said that is only supports the old unity gui system not the current one. Is this correct?
    My game will need to allow the user to fully navigate the menus using only a controller (eg. xbox controller). I am currently using rewired to handle this and it does so by default using uGUI. Am I correct in assuming that Mad Level Manager will not work for controller based navigation?

Actually, the same question applies to only keyboard navigation.. i.e no mouse.

20. Milo_del_mal

Milo_del_mal

Does MadLevelManager support Additive scene loading? I was using your asset, but I decided to take it out of my project because I could not find a way of doing this (video attached) without changing the code drastically (Which would make it hard to update whenever a new version comes out).

21. genail

genail

22. shamsfk

shamsfk

Hello! Great plugin, except for not using uGUI part which is troublesome.

Can you please give some hints on how to implement custom gui (using uGUI) while still continuing to use the rest of the logic? What should be replaces, where to hook events and stuff, and maybe some pitfalls?

It's totally ok with me to redo gui part (and probably will satisfy some colleagues from the posts above).

23. genail

genail

Hello @shamsfk . I'm sorry, didn't receive this notification for some reason.
    Basically you'd like to use configurator and save/load part. Most probably you'd like to write your own icon generator.

It's really easy to access your current level configuration. Just get it using MadLevelConfiguration.GetActive(). In there you will find many useful methods to get to your configuration data:

http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmach...evel_manager_1_1_mad_level_configuration.html

I cannot think of any pitfals. Just be aware that if you'd like to generate your icon set while beign in the editor (not playing), MadLevelConfiguration can change. To get change callback, connect to MadLevelConfigurator.callbackChanged. :)

If you'd like to know any details or have issues, please write freely to support@madpixelmachine.com :)

Piotr

24. iEpic

iEpic

How can I get the font quality on the level numbers better??
    It's blurry and I'm not sure how to increase the quality.

25. genail

genail

Hello iEpic,
    What is the resolution of your font texture? Could you please send it to me to support@madpixelmachine.com? Is your font looking ok on that texture, but not on the game screen?

26. jGate99

jGate99

@genail
    Its been several months with no update on MadLevel especially no support of Canvas.
    Can you please give us ETA?

27. genail

genail

Hi @JohnGate,
    Unfortunately Unity UI support is something that would break too many things prior to implementing it. The beast choice would be creating a completely new asset, because it would be just too difficult to keep backwards compatibility and introduce new rendering method.

I don't want to break this asset for anyone that it is using it. Yet I am providing support for Mad Level Manager on regular basis for anyone that would need it.

28. Jasinka

Jasinka

Hello,

Your asset looks really good. Thinking about buying it. Have stupid question. It's possible make unlock levels with time?
    Example finish in 60s = 1star, 45s = 2 star and etc? Not finish in 60s - game over? Can't find documentation about time.
    Or touch some UI elements. Or player get to goal - coordinate? Thanks.
    Thanks for your time,
    Regards.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  29. genail

genail

Hello Jasinka,
    Yes it is possible. It's not stated in the docs, because the condition is something that you should write on your own. Examples are based on score, but it can be easily transformed to time-based algorithm, you just have to use the right conditions like:

if (remainingTime <= 45) { /* assign 2 stars here */ }

Hope that helps! :)

Jasinka likes this.
  30. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

Hello,

Is there any progress on Mad Level manger based on the latest Unity's UI? I've been waiting for it for a year almost. Because the texture that it takes currently for the mad level Manager is more then what I use for the game itself lol.. I would be much appreciated to have it based on Unity's UI.

31. angelsm85

angelsm85

Hi,
    I'm working in a mobile game with multiple level groups. Each group has 3 levels and I want to lock the currentlevel when you complete it so you can't load it anymore. When I enter on the trigger, level 1 is completed, locked and loaded next level but when I enter on the trigger level 2, the level is completed, loaded next level but don't lock this level. Can you help me ? This is the code I'm using:

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    using MadLevelManager;

public class ChangeLevel2to3 : MonoBehaviour {

GameObject Player;

void Start ()
    {
    Player = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("Player");
    }

void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
    {
    if (other.gameObject.tag == "Player")
    {
    MadLevelProfile.SetCompleted(MadLevel.currentLevelName, true);
    MadLevelProfile.SetLocked(MadLevel.currentLevelName, true);
    MadLevel.LoadLevelByName("Level_03");
    }
    }
    }

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  32. genail

genail

Hello Daler,

Yeah, it is taking some time, right? I have to admit that I'm no longer sure if I will manage to release a new uGUI version. If even, most probably it won't be Mad Level Manager but something new created from scratch.

I made some mistakes - design mistakes that I was trying to get around with it with new MLM uGUI thing. It is just to difficult to create new MLM version that will be compatible with previous one and working with uGUI instead of built-in rendering system. The best option would be starting over with a completely new asset.

I'm sorry if you've waited all this time for uGUI version. I will be still supporting MLM in the current state as it is. I have some new features and bug fixes that I'm planing to release as soon as I will find some time. I'm really proud of what I accomplished and I'm really proud too of you guys what you've managed to do with my tools.

@angelsm85
    I think that automatic unlock mechanism may be responsible for that. I did not introduce any decent option to disable it, but still it should be easy. In MadLevelGridLayout.cs look for something like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1.                     if (previousIcon != null) {
    2.                         if (createNewInstance) {
    3.                             previousIcon.unlockOnComplete.Add(levelIcon);
    4.                         }
    5.                     }
    And remove it!

From now on, you will have a full control over which levels are locked and which unlocked. This little piece of code was unlocking next level if previous was set as complete, so most probably it was causing your issue.

Please let me know if you will need my further assistance!

Cheers!
    Piotr

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  33. angelsm85

angelsm85

Yes!! It works. Thank you so much.

genail likes this.
  34. angelsm85

angelsm85

The bar of the loading scene example doesn't appear when I use it in my level scene game. It doesn't appear in the asset examples either. How can I solve it?

35. genail

genail

@angelsm85 What Unity version are you using? Also is it Personal or Pro edition?

36. angelsm85

angelsm85

5.4.1f1 Personal

37. genail

genail

Thanks!
    I've tried but I'm unable to reproduce your issue. I imported mlm and loading screen scripts into new Unity project and examples are working fine. Could you please send me a minimal Unity project that reproduces this issue to support@madpixelmachine.com?

Cheers!
    Piotr

38. ponasoft

ponasoft

i started making turn based game with turn based toolkit and i also will use simple military cartoon war kit: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/34497

i want to make a simple cartoon style world map where each region is a level and i also want if you unluck x5 or x10 levels you can play any of next 4 or 9 level. is it possible to make this?
    i need a guide. i thought making them with screenshots of simple 3d maps but its going to look ugly also i am not sure map scene which is based on mad level manager will look ok bacause i use unity ui and last time i used 2 diffetent ui i saw many screen related problems and scenes felt they are not in same game. (i used old unity ui for menus and ngui for battle screens)

39. genail

genail

Hi,
    Yeah, the first thing is that you may have some troubles with making MLM level select screens and Unity UI work together. Just as a warning :)

With MLM you can unlock as many levels as you want. The logic is very flexible. Still you can use and do your custom Unity UI level select screens - MLM can be used for level managament and persistence. I'm using it some games in that way. Please let me know if you'd like to hear more, because it can be a quite big topic.

Cheers!
    Piotr

ponasoft likes this.
  40. Dagra

Dagra

First I want to say great job on this tool, I really like it and it is a huge time saver.

Now my situation... I have built a Free Layout and in debug mode on my PC everything seems to be working fine, when I push the .apk to my Android tablet level 1-4 show unlocked with levels 1-3 displaying 3 stars. I have reset the profile in the profile tool several times. I have even reviewed these levels in the profile viewer and the properties appear accurate.

Is there some setting I may have accidentally adjust on these that would be causing this?

41. genail

genail

Hi!
    I'm glad that you find my asset useful! :)

Are you resetting your profile on your Android device? If not, please make sure that this code is executed on your Android device at least once:

MadLevelProfile.Reset();

The most probable reason why are you seeing this is that while you were developing your game, your game save profile has hot corrupted. Just reset it using the above line (maybe put it somewhere in Start() and then remove it after running it once) and everything should get back to normal :)

If not, please let me know!

42. Dagra

Dagra

Thank you for the speedy response.

43. ctc5301

ctc5301

The buttons in the load level scene doesn't response to any touch events under webgl build on Android device while it is ok under pc with mouse click. Do you have suggestion for this? Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  44. genail

genail

WebGL build on Android device? Do you mean that you're launching it from Chrome on Android?

45. Joccc

Joccc

Hello!

How do i create custom font?
    I used the documentation but the end result was very poor quality. I used BMfont.

46. genail

genail

Hello Joccc,
    Could you please describe what do you mean by poor quality? Or you can send it to me to support@madpixelmachine.com, I will tell you then what you need to change to make it better :)

47. Joccc

Joccc

I sent email to.

48. AWP_22

AWP_22

@genail i have question
    i make 2 groups let say world 1 and world 2, each world have their own level, and i make world 2 lock and i want world 2 to be unlock after player finish all level in world 1, i have tried to figured out by my own but i didn't done that, can you explain how to do that?

49. jGate99

jGate99

@genail
    Unity 2017 is coming and its been a year since i asked for new UI suport, so when is it coming?

50. genail

genail

Hi!
    Please look in here:
    http://madlevelmanager.madpixelmachine.com/demos/groups.html

Please let me know if this will help. If not, I will prepare a better example for you :)

@JohnGate
    Yes, it's been a while. I'm sorry, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to introduce Unity UI to MLM anytime soon.