Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug [macOS Sonoma 14.2 and 14.2.1] Clicks on window not working at all

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Vince_DD, Dec 21, 2023.

1. Vince_DD

Vince_DD

Couldn't find a post about this. I'm getting a lot of reports from my users that clicks on the game window are no longer registered at all after updating to macOS Sonoma 14.2. The recent 14.2.1 update does not fix it.

This issue seems to be related:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...nputs-are-delayed-when-in-the-player-on-macos

Apparently switching to fullscreen-mode fixes this, but switching back to window-mode makes the issue appear again.

Looking through Steam/Reddit, I see a lot of games affected by it (Cities: Skylines, Mini Motorways, Oxygen Not Included, etc.) but there doesn't currently seem to be a way to fix this on the app-side.

Beennn and tolosaoldfan like this.
  2. nesplora

nesplora

Same issue here! any solution?

3. btschumy

btschumy

Not sure if I am having the same issue. Since the 14.2/14.2.1 update, my app hangs after displaying the interface. If I filter the Console messages for my app, I see:

Sandbox: Our Galaxy(14627) deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.cmio.registerassistantservice.system-extensions
    Violation: deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.cmio.registerassistantservice.system-extensions
    Process: Our Galaxy [14627]
    Path: /Applications/Our Galaxy.app/Contents/MacOS/Our Galaxy
    Load Address: 0x101814000
    Identifier: maccatalyst.com.otherwise.OurGalaxy
    Version: 2.1.0 (2.1)
    Code Type: x86_64 (Native)
    Parent Process: Our Galaxy [1]
    Responsible: /Applications/Our Galaxy.app/Contents/MacOS/Our Galaxy
    User ID: 501

Looking at the stack trace, this is caused by something Unity is trying to do.

It seems like Apple has changed some sandbox permission. Is this this same thing you're seeing?

My app was last built in August of 2021 so it was using the Unity version available then. I don't know if this has been fixed in more recent Unity versions.

4. tolosaoldfan

tolosaoldfan

Same things with several applications that worked well on MacOS Ventura. The Windowed mode + resolution: if the resolution is very low (1024x768 or below), there is no problem (and not enough visible).

5. TheRaider

TheRaider

Having the same issue. Works in full screen but not windowed. Does anyone know a workaround? This is really bad for an app I made in unity :(

6. Akkadokk

Akkadokk

Hello, i had the same problem on my project, i was using unity 2020.3.7. Upgrading unity to the version 2022.2.13 solve the problem for me.

7. TheRaider

TheRaider

thanks I will try!

8. bakno

bakno

We have several games, impossible to update them in a reasonable time. We need a solution for the current version. They used to work for several years and OS updates.

9. TheRaider

TheRaider

well updating to latest LTS fixed it for me.

It says in progress for the older versions.

10. Vince_DD

Vince_DD

Which version specifically works for you? 2022.3.17f1?

Edit: I haven't tested it myself but it looks like 2022.3.17f1 and 2021.3.34f1 fix this issue (or at least part of it). Really hope they backport this to 2020 at least... Upgrading my project is gonna be a pain.

https://unity.com/releases/editor/whats-new/2022.3.17#release-notes

The release notes reference these issues as fixed:

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...se-button-when-the-scene-window-is-not-active

Also this is marked as known issue:

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...nputs-are-delayed-when-in-the-player-on-macos

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  11. TheRaider

TheRaider

yeah 2022.3.17f1 was the version I used.

Thankfully updating the project to that wasn't a big deal for me.

12. bakno

bakno

In our case, the problem happens in 5 out of 22 games. All created with the same Unity version (Unity 5.0).

13. Vince_DD

Vince_DD

I'm still confused by this. Are there games made with older versions of Unity that actually work on the newest macOS? Or is literally every single Unity game broken on macOS Sonoma right now?

14. bakno

bakno

Not all, in our case 5 games out of 22, all compiled with the same Unity version. All sharing the same libraries and settings. Pretty weird.

15. Vince_DD

Vince_DD

That is very weird indeed. Surely there has to be something they have in common.

If a Unity engineer could comment on what actually caused this bug, perhaps that could be insightful.

16. btschumy

btschumy

It seems strange that Unity hasn't responded with the recommended solution. My app was built a couple of years ago with 2021.1.9f1. I don't really have time right now to deal with a lot of app tweaks that may be needed if I switch to the very latest LTS. Do we know what the oldest version of Unity that fixes this is?

17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

18. Vince_DD

Vince_DD

I'm using the old input system, currently on Unity 2020.3.25f1. I could try updating to the most recent 2020 LTS version and see if that does anything.

Seeing how this issue was fixed (I think?) with the most recent 2022 LTS update, I'm not sure if the issue you linked could be related.

Edit: Probably unrelated, but I use this to poll the mouse position on macOS while the game is not in focus: https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...nt/mouse-position-control-windows-linux-61329

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  19. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Please let me know how that goes. We are currently unsure how widespread this is or what exactly causes it.

20. Vince_DD

Vince_DD

I've updated my project from 2020.3.25f1 to 2020.3.48f1 (newest 2020 LTS). This seems to fix the issue, at least for three of my testers. Waiting for a few more to test it.

Edit: I got 6 reports now so I'm gonna consider this fixed in my case. Thanks for the help Tautvydas-Zilys!! Still seems like it'd be a good idea to look into this further since there are probably a lot of games built with affected Unity versions that will never be updated again, so those would be permanently broken unless there is a fix coming from Apple.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
    Tautvydas-Zilys likes this.
  21. bakno

bakno

Today I found the weirdest thing. One of the games, the only one that was updated and compiled with Unity 2021.3.2f1, has the same problem. While the same game (previous version) compiled with Unity 5 does not have it. I guess we need to downgrade the published version.

Now we can finally try to trace the problem. A debug version was created, one with a Log window that is supposed to show any failing script on screen. What happens is that the error is still present but there are no logs reported.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
  22. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Did you try building the game with 2021.3.15f1? Does it still reproduce there?

Any more details about the game? Does it in in fullscreen? In windowed mode? How do you read the inputs?

23. bakno

bakno

No, the version used was the one in which the game was built and I guess I cannot go back now.

In this particular game (not any of the rest) going fullscreen fixes the problems.

For the inputs we use the regular Input class, by calling Input.GetAxis and Input.GetButton.

Andres

24. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Hi, I'm using the latest 2022 LTS Version (2022.3.19), and I just updated my Mac to Sonoma, and I'm seeing this in builds. It starts to work, but a few moments after starting, the issue happens.

Any updates for Unity 2022 LTS?

25. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

This makes it sound like it's the same issue: the problem was only reproducible in windowed builds due to how we calculated the window size (which started to fail on newer macOS versions).

If you're seeing issues on Unity 2022 LTS, it must be a different issue as that version has the fixes discussed in the thread. I'd recommend reporting a bug with a repro project attached so that we could dig in.

26. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Interesting, the behaviour is identical, where the app is running, and even reading mouse position input, but not responding to clicks. I also noticed that the taskbar isn't responding either. I can't click close, or quit it using the title menu. I need to force quit.

I will try to reproduce and file a but report, thank you for the suggestion.

27. Mag_Way

Mag_Way

We have games compiled with Unity 5.6.5. One of the games works fine on macOS Sonoma, but the other two have the same problem: the game window does not recognize mouse or keyboard actions. It does not respond to mouse clicks, nor does it highlight the UI element under the mouse cursor. If we switch to another window without minimizing the game, the window will track the mouse cursor and highlight the UI element under the cursor or display a tooltip for it. But this stops working if we return to the game window. The highlighting while the window is in the background sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.
    To close the game, I need to switch to another window, click the close button on the game window, then switch back to the other window and click the Quit button at the prompt that appears. If I press the close button when the game window is in focus, sometimes it works with a delay (5-10 seconds), sometimes it doesn't work at all. The same goes for the Quit button, but the delay is much longer, about several minutes.
    Running the game in full screen mode doesn't help at all. Moreover, I cannot return to the game if I switch from it to the desktop.
    If I run the game with the -popupwindow parameter, it starts working fine, recognizing all mouse and keyboard actions. But sometimes even this option does not help, you have to force quit the game and start it again.
    Is there anything we can do to solve this problem without porting our games to the latest versions of Unity?

28. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

So I did find a semi-solution for this:
    I was calling Cursor.SetCursor in an update loop. After removing that (and/or switching it to check if the cursor changed before actually making the SetCursor() call), I no longer had the unresponsive issue.
    I suggest looking to see if you're calling SetCursor() in update anywhere in your code.
    Hope that helps!

29. Mag_Way

Mag_Way

We don't use Cursor.SetCursor at all.

30. Fictiorama

Fictiorama

Hi everyone!

Any more progress about this issue?

It's also happening to one of our games published in 2018, and, even though we followed every piece of advice in this thread (thanks a lot!) we couldn't fix the issue.

FYI, we contacted Unity's support service and their kind answer was quite astonishing. Basically it was like:

1. "We understand your frustration"
    2. "Oh, that stuff is too technical! It's not our area of expertise"
    3. "You can ask other developers... on the Unity forums"
    4. "You can submit a bug report"
    5. "Good luck!"

We insisted to have the issue escalated to a technical department at Unity, so that we can receive the support we believe we deserve: we, as thousands of developers, have been paying for Unity licenses and services for ages... and Unity still rely on their community to find fixes for their bugs. Amazing.

Their answer was... "hey, remember you can submit a bug report!".

So we did it. Actually, we encourage everyone to do so, since that's probably the only chance to get some support from them: if several devs insist, it's more likely that they take this issue seriously.

Here is the procedure to do it https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting, and you can also check their knowledge base article How do I submit a bug report?

BTW: we tried to submit the bug via Unity 5.6.1f1's editor (the version we used to make the build back then)... and the bug submission report was bugged itself. :eek:

So we eventually had to do it using Unity Hub.

Thanks everyone!