Search Unity

MacOS m1 Big Sur - Can't Install ml-agents Python package

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by dginovker, Jul 5, 2021.

1. dginovker

dginovker

I've tried using `pyenv` to change my Python version to a bunch of different 3.6.x, 3.7.x and 3.8.x versions, but nothing can install the ml-agents package. Some Python versions can't install Pillow, some can't install h5py, some can't install numpy, etc etc etc. It's just a big nightmare.

Right now I'm trying to install it locally from the git repo per the Installation.md instructions, but it wants to run `pip3 install -e ./ml-agents-envs` (which unlike `ml-agents` isn't a public repo in github.com/Unity-Technologies), so I'm not sure if it'll work. I'll edit the post with my findings shortly.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Has anyone here successfully installed mlagents on Big Sur?

2. christophergoy

christophergoy

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    We have no control over which python packages have native M1 support. I am working on a playbook to get people up and running on M1 but it’s not ready just yet. You can try and install the python packages you need by prefixing your pip install commands with arch -arch x86_64

DrViJ likes this.
  3. andreialbu03

andreialbu03

Hello,
    I am facing the exact same issue of not being able to install ml-agents when I used the command pip3 install mlagents on m1.
    Were you able to find a way to download it?

4. parssa

parssa

Hi,

I've also been facing this issue as well, is there any current way to install mlagents on an M1 based mac?

5. christophergoy

christophergoy

Unity Technologies

DrViJ likes this.
  6. DrViJ

DrViJ

Thank you so much for these instructions