Search Unity

macOS Install or Documentation Bug

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by mcarriere, Dec 13, 2021.

1. mcarriere

mcarriere

Howdy -- just spent a little bit of time debugging this, so I figure I'd start a thread in case anyone else runs into a similar issue.

I decided to get Accelerator up and running in an attempt to speed up our CI builds; and installed it on one of our macOS servers. (Currently running Big Sur.) We're not using Collaborate, so we just needed to do the manual install.

I did the following:

* Downloaded the DMG linked from the docs.
    * Copied the app to my desktop, and ran the installer.

After running that, I couldn't access the dashboard. It's worth noting, I'm also running a webserver on this server, so I knew I was going to need to change the ports to some non-default setup.

Even editing the config to specify a nonstandard HTTPPort config value, reloading the service via launchctl did nothing. After more testing, I found out that it worked and read my config when I ran ./unity-accelerator run

This lead me down another path; here's the default LaunchAgent values:

<key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
    <string>/Applications/Unity/accelerator/unity-accelerator</string>
    <string>run</string>
    <string>--persist</string>
    <string>/Users/XXXXXXX/Library/Unity/accelerator</string>
    </array>

and doing a bit more digging, I ran ./unity-accelerator run --help and saw this:

--persist s Path where persisted data is stored; i.e. where the unity-accelerator.cfg file is. Default:

$UNITY_ACCELERATOR_PERSIST, .

However, by default, the config is being put alongside the unity-accelerator binary, not where the persistent data is.

Once I copied this cfg over to the persistent data directory, launching the accelerator on macOS via the launchctl started succeeding.

Seems like a bug to me -- either in where it's being saved by default, where it's being loaded, or something else entirely.

Regardless -- confusing as hell to figure out on my own. Please update the documentation to cover this or fix this issue.