Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MacOS drag and drop in editor not working

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by Liviuss, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Liviuss

Liviuss

Anyone experiencing drag-and-drop issues in editor in this beta(2018.2.0b2)? I just don't understand what it's causing this. I have a success ratio 1:100 to make drag-and-drop working just by spamming click-to-drag.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    MadeFromPolygons and luislodosm like this.
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please submit a bug report for this issue and reply in here with the case #?

3. luislodosm

luislodosm

I confirm this issue on Mac: Trying to drag an asset in the project window or a GameObject in hierarchy window works 50% of the time. Unity 2018.2.0.b2. I am reporting the problem.

4. Foriero

Foriero

Yes can confirm that bug. You have to try it two or three times for the same item until it finally gets dragged.

5. recursive

recursive

Can confirm as well

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

7. z000z

z000z

@LeonhardP I created a case for it case 1033847. It doesn't happen every time, I find that if I switch the selection in the hierarchy window and then try to drag it tends to happen more often, but still not every time.

LeonhardP likes this.
  8. recursive

recursive

I'll test against 2018.1b1 this evening.

9. recursive

recursive

Was able to get to my laptop sooner, bug report submitted, case #1033916

LeonhardP likes this.
  10. Pikarati

Pikarati

Getting the same problem in 2018.2.0b3 on OSX. Case #1034090

Glowing_Slab and LeonhardP like this.
  11. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

Same here in 2018.2.0b3.

12. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  13. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

Still occurring in 2018.2.0b4.

14. tealm

tealm

Confirming that this happens in both b3 and b4, making it impossible to work with Unity on MacOS. Hoping for a hotfix released soon!

15. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Can confirm this. It seems that clicking and dragging slower will make it more likely to succeed. This has slowed workflow to a crawl.

16. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

We have a fix. Hopefully not long until it gets backported. Probably not going to be in b5 though :(

17. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Is there no way this could be added as a seperate package / hotfix? It is genuinely stopping me from any development this entire sprint, and if its not in b5, will mean the next sprint is forfeit too.

I know this is beta, but the editor is completely unusable and that is not okay?

tealm likes this.
  18. zinnercircus

zinnercircus

indeed at hotfix would be great... it's quite unusable for many of the tasks we're working on.

19. recursive

recursive

At this point I'm just moving things in finder, it's that much less of a pain. :confused:

20. tealm

tealm

Agreed! Normally companies that develop software would release a hot-fix asap for critical bugs like this. We're currently required to work with the beta, and telling us that we have to wait for another 2 beta releases is not good enough. As paying customers we expect that the newest/beta versions will at least be usable.

21. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

@LeonhardP just so you know, if you use a trackpad it also affects that. This means 1/10 drags in editor work. I have just been using finder to move stuff and then waiting for reimports each time. Very very very frustrating, please push this as a hotfix if its not in this weeks beta, otherwise you are making unity completely unusable for the next week. Thats not beta, thats alpha behaviour.

EDIT: I would also like to point out this has been in for nearly a month, thats a very long time to be locked out of development. This is making simple things take so long its forcing us to save all dragging operations to do in one go, and we are having to write a special custom editor script to link up references for us because drag and drop does not work and slows things to a crawl. this is more important than any other fix or feature you could stick in b5.

eddyspaghetti likes this.