Search Unity

MacOS Catalina - Blank error appears with no info.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by turdann, Oct 16, 2019.

1. turdann

turdann

Hello,

After updating from Unity 5.6 to 2017.4 and our OSX to Catalina, it seems we're receiving an empty error in the console. There's no info related to it, double click it doesn't do anything either.

unnamed.png

Any way we could check what's going on with this and how to fix it?

Most of our project is coded in Unityscript and I found this issue which won't be fixed... might it be the very same issue?

Should I just downgrade to Mojave?

WermHat likes this.
  2. archer1013

archer1013

We have encountered the same problem. Downgrade to Mojave will not be approved by Apple.

WermHat likes this.
  3. turdann

turdann

Do you mean to downgrade to Mojave so Apple accepts the update, or that Apple is no longer accepting builds coming from Mojave? (I find the latter unlikely, but you never know.. so better be safe and ask to avoid confusion)

4. ChefCrazy

ChefCrazy

Xcode updated to the latest would be allright

WermHat likes this.
  5. homenetgames-jacek

homenetgames-jacek

This blank error happens for us too on Catalina with Unity 2017.4.33f. It happens only for projects with UnityScript (js) files. It works for C#-only projects. I reported a bug to Unity, no response yet.

I pulled out of the closet my old Mac with macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra and I was I able to build my old project with Unity 2017.4.33f for both iOS and OSX. Then I built iOS project / OSX package on newer Mac with up to date macOS/XCode.
    But that way you need 2 Macs.

Greg_Littlefield and WermHat like this.
  6. turdann

turdann

I'm actually building the xcode project directly on PC and exporting it to our mac at the moment... :/

WermHat likes this.
  7. booferei

booferei

Apparently, this Unity bug will not be fixed.

RESOLUTION NOTE (FIX VERSION 2020.1):
    Won't be fixed until 2017.4 end of life​

WermHat likes this.
  8. strobegen

strobegen

got same error with 2017.4.34f1

WermHat likes this.
  9. WermHat

WermHat

This bug is in 2017.4 LTS. The entire point of the LTS system is to prevent critical, workflow-destroying bugs like this. How in the world is Unity refusing to fix this?

ina likes this.
  10. excalith

excalith

- Updating OS breaks my project
    - Updating Unity breaks my project
    - I will also break my project to fullfill its destiny

Well, I would love to hear the reason why they are refusing to fix this issue while LTS support continues

WermHat likes this.
  11. WermHat

WermHat

Does anyone have a workaround?

12. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

Does your project happen to have old .js code in it ? We have seen cases where having old unity script code in the project will result in this issue.

WermHat likes this.
  13. WermHat

WermHat

Thanks for chiming in. Yes, that's exactly the case. Our project makes heavy use of .js which is precisely why we are using 2017.4 LTS. We had been counting on this LTS to carry us through for many more months.

Our project is inoperable on Apple's current OS. We were under the impression that LTS exists to fix scenarios just like this.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  14. WermHat

WermHat

Is there an explanation for why this doesn't warrant a fix? We would be so grateful for some help with this!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  15. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

I will look into what it will take to resolve this issue for 2017.4 LTS

User340 and WermHat like this.
  16. WermHat

WermHat

Thank you so much. As it stands now, all the major 2019 hardware releases — the 16” MBP, the Mac Pro — which can’t be downgraded to Mojave are off the table for anyone who still has projects that rely on .js.

If you can give .js life on Catalina it will be a huge deal and will likely preserve compatibility until long after the 2017 LTS cycle has ended.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  17. WermHat

WermHat

May I ask if you have any updates on this? Thank you!

18. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

Just getting back from holiday break :D So I shall look into this this week.

WermHat likes this.
  19. WermHat

WermHat

Thank you and welcome back!

20. WermHat

WermHat

Any luck so far? :)

21. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

I will update the thread when I have an update :D

Richardbmth and WermHat like this.
  22. Richardbmth

Richardbmth

We have the same problem. Our project was fine last year on Unity 2017.4.32. Upgraded to Unity 2017.4.36 last week and the empty console error appeared. Downgraded thinking it was the update and it still has the same problem. Had no idea that it was actually the MacOS update which was the culprit. I think we might be more careful about updating the MacOS from now on :eek:

Frustratingly we can't just publish from Windows as iOS, as the published files won't build from XCode. Something to do with a plugin I think which causes a FrameworkSecurity error linker error.

I just hope this won't be low priority as it's makes publishing a maintenance update tricky for us.

WermHat likes this.
  23. DurmusAli

DurmusAli

Any update? Just upgraded to Catalina this weekend and now I am having the same error.

WermHat likes this.
  24. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

I am working through it :) have not forgotten this.

WermHat likes this.
  25. WermHat

WermHat

We appreciate your advocacy!

26. DurmusAli

DurmusAli

Thank you for your works. Is there any estimated time for this? A day, a week, a Month? So we can adjust ourselves according to that.

WermHat likes this.
  27. Greg_Littlefield

Greg_Littlefield

I just ran into the same problem yesterday, and indeed it was because of JS files.

I use Unity 2017.3.1 (long story short we're stuck with this version of Unity at work) and yesterday we had to updgrade our mac to Catalina (10.15.2), and Unity would no longer build the project; throwing out and empty error. And indeed it was because of a couple old Javascript files we had in there! We removed those and now it builds fine. (we'll have to rewrite these scripts in C# but that's ok) I'm glad I found this thread, I would never have found that by myself.
    Thanks for the help guys! :)

esg-odeoliveira and WermHat like this.
  28. WermHat

WermHat

29. kintz_09

kintz_09

I am having the same issue on my 2016 Macbook Pro 15". In late December 2019 I built our iOS project without any issues running Unity 2017.4.35f1. In January 2020 I updated my OS to Catalina. Today is the first time I've opened this project since updating the OS and I am now receiving this empty error unable to play or compile. I then upgraded to Unity 2017.4.36.f1 and I have the same issue. Our project is pure C#.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  30. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

Are you sure you don't have any js files in your project? including plugins?

31. WermHat

WermHat

The Issue Tracker now shows "Planned for 2017.4." Would it be right to assume that it's now a question of when, not if?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  32. gtrcrazynik

gtrcrazynik

Faced with a similar problem, how to solve it?

33. cosmos0

cosmos0

I had the same problem.
    My Unity Version is 2017.4.35
    Deleted all the files containing "*.js" from the project and it worked normally.

WermHat likes this.
  34. arslan-arshad-ali-68

arslan-arshad-ali-68

.JS files are the issue. Unity LTS seems to be joke! Go Back to Mojave or
    convert JS files to .cs or wait for unity to release an update for 2017.4.. Unity and Mac are not getting along so nicely i guess!

MoribitoMT likes this.
  35. arslan-arshad-ali-68

arslan-arshad-ali-68

Yes there should be some intimation

36. WermHat

WermHat

LTS 2017.4.37f1 came out a week ago with no fix. Hopefully the next one...

37. WermHat

WermHat

Very sorry to bug, but any chance there's a status update on this? 2017 LTS is nearing EOL so we're getting nervous that this might never come to fruition.

38. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

I do apologize I have not lost sight of this :D the main issue here is that boo scripts are not supported any longer, and the reason you get this issue on 10.15 is the boo compiler is 32bit which as you know macOS 10.15 no longer supports :( which is why you get the blank error and stuff doesn't work. We have to figure out how to make this work.

WermHat likes this.
  39. WermHat

WermHat

Sounds very complex! I really appreciate the update. The main thing we're nervous about is the possibility that you might just give up on it. Are you able to confirm that the fix will definitely be arriving to 2017 LTS at some point, even if that time is far down the road?

40. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

@WermHat I have a question what prevents you from migrating these .js scripts to c# ?

41. WermHat

WermHat

We have hundreds of projects built entirely in .js. Migrating would be insurmountable. Eventually these projects will die, but .js compatibility with 64 bit Mac OS would buy years of additional life.

42. WermHat

WermHat

Looks like we got another LTS 2017 update today, and we're technically past the 2 year mark now. I hope you aren't planning on pulling the plug on 2017 before this fix can ship? :)

43. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

It will be in the next 2017.4 update :)

WermHat likes this.
  44. WermHat

WermHat

You're a hero!!

45. WermHat

WermHat

Can anyone please confirm if this made it into the 2017.4 update yesterday? I’m back on Mojave because of the issue so I can’t check.

46. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

It missed that update do to some internal build issue so it will land in the next one! I can assure you it will be in an update before we end support for 2017.4.

WermHat likes this.
  47. SkobbejakGames

SkobbejakGames

Hi, when is the planned release date for the next 2017.4 LTS release?

I just got this error now as well after updating to Catalina, have a bunch of bought plugin scripts in .js and cant convert them all to C# in feasible time as I would need to contact each plugin developer about multiple scripts.

48. JuJuCoder

JuJuCoder

I am interested in this one as well. When the fix is released? or at minimun it should say how to fix it.

49. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

it will be fixed in the next 2017.4 release. With that said as I mentioned above removing js files from your game solves the issue.

ina likes this.
  50. JuJuCoder

JuJuCoder

We have lots of old assets from asset store. I do not know which files to remove. Do you have any help how to locate those files that are causing this? It could be any .js file?