Search Unity

Macbook pro heat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ivanbolcina, Sep 1, 2018.

1. ivanbolcina

ivanbolcina

Hi.

I noticed Unity3D editor heats my mac quite a bit, even when it is left open and unused. Is Unity3d editor refreshing frames even when user is not doing anything? Seems just a waste....

BR,ivan

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Yes it is. Inspectors and editor windows are pretty big resource hogs, even just sitting there. Hopefully the new editor ui will be an improvement on this. Unity is pretty much the only application that I make sure to quit when I’m not directly using it.

3. ivanbolcina

ivanbolcina

New editor UI?

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Essentially a redesign and reimplementation (with a backwards compatibility wrapper for IMGUI).

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

This is how real-time game engines typically work, and Unity's Editor sits on top of its engine. It does seem a bit of a waste when considered in the context of other editor-type applications, but when considered in the context of game engine runtime environments it makes sense for them to be designed around and optimised for cases where stuff is happening all the time.

6. ivanbolcina

ivanbolcina

I know. However, it would be at least eco-friendly to stop refreshing in no user input was received in last 5 minutes or so.

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Doesnt seem to take much resources at all actually. Plus the MSI afterburner OSD only updates when I click or move the mouse over the unity window which indicates it does not refresh on idle

upload_2018-9-3_16-48-50.png