Search Unity

Macbook Pro and Oculus Link

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by stychu, Mar 8, 2020.

?

Would this work?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2020.
  1. YES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO

100.0%
  1. stychu

stychu

Hello there.
    I would like to start developing some games/experiences for VR on the MacBook pro using Oculus Quest with the ability to enter the play mode during the development. I found that on OSX it's not possible and I would need a windows system. So I wonder if below would work.

I don't want to install Bootcamp on the Mac internal drive instead I was thinking about buying some external hard drive installing on it windows and all necessary drivers (Bootcamp, Oculus, Steam) and use it for development with Macbook. Would be this a viable option?? Would link work with this?
    This also would grant me the ability to install games that I would like to play whenever I have access to the powerful PC with good GPU so there won't be any need to install all necessary software needed to run VR games on every machine. Just plug hard drive and play. But I don't know if there won't be any issue related to the graphics card drivers. As using it with a MacBook it would have AMD drivers and with any other VR ready PC probably Nvidia would be needed. Can I have both installed at the same time?

I would like to hear your voice before I would go and buy an external drive and try these scenarios.

2. aka_anoop

aka_anoop

I doubt the play mode will work until Oculus adds native support for macOS. I could be wrong. But I have read comments about abysmally low frame rates while using Quest on Bootcamp. If you come across a working setup, please do share.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  3. stychu

stychu

Yeah so I was able to install Windows on an external drive on run Play mode through oculus link but the framerate is indeed low and all is laggy. Setting the priority on the oculus server gives a little bit more performance but definitely not able to play anything with this setup. But for development, I think it's a viable option at least for me for quick ability to do tests to minor code/feature changes.

4. BBright

BBright

Hello @stychu .
    I'm in the exact problem with you. This is unbelievable that we can't use Oculus Link on mac to develop Unity3D. Using a real device is not an acceptable option.

My MBP only has 256GB SSD, so I can't install it there but I need to use external SSD. Could you share a bit more about your experience so far? Because I'm thinking buying a Window laptop could be better.

5. BBright

BBright

Forget about it. I ordered Windows laptop.

aka_anoop, stychu and ROBYER1 like this.