Search Unity

Macbook air for Unity development?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by yoash, Sep 4, 2016.

1. yoash

yoash

Hi,

I have used Unity on a windows desktop PC and it runs great. I am wondering if a macbook air 2015 would work well also? The specs are 8gm ram, 1.6ghz processor.

I want to buy one (want to make ios apps so I want a mac for xcode), I am just afraid I'll buy one, open up unity and everything will lag. Does anyone have that same laptop and use it for unity development?

Thanks!

2. jhocking

jhocking

For iOS games that should work fine. I don't use a Macbook Air, but I do use a Mac mini (so similar hardware) with no problem. It does take annoyingly long when I hit Play the first time after launching Unity, but it must be caching stuff because there's no wait in subsequent plays.

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I have a much older (2012) MacBook Pro I use as my primary Unity development machine. It works fine, and the machine you're looking at will do even better.

Caution: if you put in any serious time with it, you will probably start avoiding your Windows box. :)

Incidentally, once you have a Mac, you may find my blog post on cross-platform building & app signing useful. It describes how I am able to build and code-sign my High Frontier game for Mac, Windows, and Linux (well, no code-signing on that one!) all on one machine.

Schneider21 likes this.