Search Unity

MAC with Unity Hub - How do I prevent Unity icon from persisting in dock?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by msantamaria, Jun 1, 2019.

1. msantamaria

msantamaria

Alright.....this may seem trivial to some, but oh boy I am going insane.

I use Unity Hub to launch/manage my unity projects.
    Whenever I launch a project, an instance of Unity is launched and a Unity icon appears next to my Unity Hub icon in my dock (as expected).

However, when I close Unity, the Unity icon STAYS IN THE DOCK instead of disappearing (like every other non-docked program). I am constantly switching between projects, so my dock can get clogged super quick, and I feel it is so maddeningly stupid annoying to have to remove EACH icon instance from my dock, when they should kindly just remove themselves like every other program :mad:;)

I've only encountered this behavior launching through Unity Hub. When I open Unity through Unity (not UNITY HUB), and close the program, the icon is removed from the dock as expected.

SPECS:
    Macbook Pro Retina
    OS Mojave 10.14.4
    Unity Hub (latest version)
    Unity (various versions)

PLEASE NOTE:
    • "recent programs" in dock is DISABLED
    • When I right-click on the Unity icon in the dock "keep in dock" is UNCHECKED (ALL options are unchecked)

MY GOAL: Make Unity icons (when UNITY is launched from the UNITY HUB) to remove themselves from the dock

2. Deozaan

Deozaan

On Windows, Unity Hub doesn't close when you launch a project. Instead, it minimizes to the tray but otherwise remains running. I have to right-click the icon and select Quit Unity Hub in order for it to go away.

It sounds to me like this is what you are experiencing, especially since it doesn't happen when you don't use the Hub. I think the icon in the dock that you are seeing is the minimized Unity Hub icon.

But I don't have experience with Unity on MacOS, so please excuse the unhelpfulness of this post if I am wrong.

3. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

This feature and similar ones were asked many times, and sometimes what users are asking are contradictory.
    That's why we are going to introduce a set of preferences for the hub behavior after the editor launch.

Best,
    Afshin

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  4. msantamaria

msantamaria

Thank you for your response. I am on a Mac, and the Unity Hub Icon looks different from the Unity application icon. (hub being a white square with the unity icon, and the unity app being the unity icon freestanding). I do not expect my HUB icon to go away, in fact that is the ONLY one that should stay persistent, as I have it set to "stay in dock". The issue is that each instance of the UNITY APP opened THROUGH the Hub creates a new unity app icon on the dock that PERSISTS after the application and hub are closed. If i open a project through unity, and then close that project, the icon goes away. it is only instances opened through the hub that behave this way.

NONE of these Unity App instances are set to stay in the dock. The standard behavior on my machine is for non-docked apps to remove themselves when the application is closed.

I work at a studio where I switch between 12 or so different projects on any given day. EACH unique instance creates an a unity app icon that persists after both the app and hub are closed. It is NOT useful to me to keep these instances in my dock as they create tons of clutter. I know I can remove it by right-clicking, but that gets real tedious real fast with my workload.

It feels like something in the Hub is overriding my dock settings, and it feels like a super annoying bug rather than a feature. I was really hoping there was a setting or a script I could toggle to just make it behave the way it is supposed to.

5. msantamaria

msantamaria

Thank you for your reply, that's good news! Could you specify what/when you mean by "the editor launch"? And also where might I find info/release notes when available? I'm sure I'm missing something major, but I can never find info on the Hub outside search results that pull up blog posts. :confused:

Thanks again!

6. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Afshin means that part of the preferences you set are about how the hub behavior would be after opening a project and will apply once you open a project and an editor is launched.
    @Charles_Beauchemin : Where can the users find the release notes about new versions/features ?

7. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

8. msantamaria

msantamaria

Hi Charles, I'm sorry I still don't understand. I looked at the release notes, I did not see anything I recognized as addressing my question. Could you be more specific on where I can find the information I'm looking for?

9. circonio77

circonio77

Unity hub 2.2.2 icon is huge in MacOS.

Captura de pantalla 2019-12-22 a las 17.45.42.png

10. cezarytabota

cezarytabota

I have the same issue

11. unity_0reQzcJokladhw

unity_0reQzcJokladhw

Bump. This is annoying.

12. DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

Bump. Still occurring in 2021.

matt02g likes this.
  13. Zamaroht

Zamaroht

Bump... this is still happening in 2022, and it's annoying.
    Just to quote the OP:

Make Unity icons (when UNITY is launched from the UNITY HUB) to remove themselves from the dock

ShadowAngel likes this.
  14. scciobotaru

scciobotaru

tgporter07 likes this.
  15. donatdeva

donatdeva

Bump. STILL occurring in 2023 and I am so tired of removing the Unity icon every single time from my dock after closing my project. Please, do something about this °_°

Note: I do have "keep recent programs in dock" disabled, just as msantamaria, so scciobotaru's answer does not work for me

EDIT: This seems to be a macOS issue, as some other programs also stay in the dock after closing. Even people on the latest hardware and software report this problem ...

Last edited: May 19, 2023
  16. JAMvlc

JAMvlc

hub not loading and persisting in dock!?