Search Unity

Mac/Windows path

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Futurebear, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Futurebear

Futurebear

Currently to read or write files I am having to use
    Code (csharp):
    2.             if (Application.platform == RuntimePlatform.WindowsPlayer || Application.platform == RuntimePlatform.WindowsEditor)
    3.             {
    4.                 saveGameFile.Load(Application.dataPath + "\\USERDATA\\" + curPlayer + ".xml");
    5.             }
    6.             if (Application.platform == RuntimePlatform.OSXPlayer)
    7.             {
    8.                 saveGameFile.Load(Application.dataPath + "/USERDATA/" + curPlayer + ".xml");
    9.             }
    Which is getting annoying and long because I have to include this anytime I want to transverse a different directory. Is there a universal way to type application paths so I don't have to do the \\ and / ?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Path characters in .NET are just / for everything, regardless of Mac or Windows. If you wanted to use \ for Windows anyway, you could define a path char depending on the platform, and use pathChar instead of hard-coding / and \ everywhere.

--Eric

3. Futurebear

Futurebear

oh, well that saves me alot of time. I don't know where I got using \\ for windows and / for mac. Thanks!

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

Actually the / part has nothing to do with .NET I think, since Windows NT4 or at latest 2000, windows has always supported / instead of \ in the paths. the \ enforcement only existed on the "insecure perma-BSOD" media OS aka Win95, 98 and ME and naturally the 3.1 and earlier versions

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I'd like to know whose bright idea it was to use a common escape character as a path character in the first place....

--Eric

6. t_w

t_w

"file:///"+"C:/Users/m/AppData/LocalLow/DefaultCompany/test_heart\myfile1.wav"

when I use this path for www, I usually got nothing, why?

7. syscrusher

syscrusher

As an aside, take a look at System.IO.Path.PathSeparator.

8. t_w

t_w

thanks,