Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac Unity Hub Feedback

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Kartack, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Kartack

Kartack

So first I'd like to say Unity Hub seems like a great addition to the Unity system. I've always got like 3-6 versions of Unity installed on my computer so having a tool to manage these installs and help to remember which version of unity a given project was being worked on in is really helpful. Also being able to install new build targets after you have installed unity will be useful now and again when I forget to download one, again.

The one little piece of feedback I have is the way that the tool acts on a mac when you open a project. Right now Unity Hub uses the Genie effect to dock itself, which makes some sense as I don't need HUB after I've opened the Editor. But it seems to me kind of weird especially since the editor doesn't open a window or do anything immediately, almost like HUB has stopped working. Also if a window is minimized to the doc if you use command/apple key + tab to try to switch back to hub the window won't come to the foreground.

I think what would be better would be for the hub window went into a mode where it went inactive and showed either a spinner or status bar and the text "Unity Editor Launching" and then when the editor finally opens it will just naturally be on top of the HUB window.

This is being pretty pick for a tool that is 99% awesome, I'm just trying to get it to 100% awesome.

BorisMongeau likes this.
  2. User340

User340

Yup, I feel the same way. I do not like the minimizing that it's doing right now.

My preference would be for the Hub to hide itself (cmd+H) on project opening. That way the window would be visibly hidden and cmd+tab would just work.

3. BorisMongeau

BorisMongeau

Unity Technologies

Thanks for your feedback, this behavior has been noted and will be fixed on Mac OS.

User340 likes this.
  4. thylaxene

thylaxene

Agreed. However I'd like this a an option set in preferences or somewhere. As I use Spaces and I don't need the Hub to hide itself or minimise at all as I run Unity in a different Space to things like the Hub. Making it a better macOS citizen would suit me.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  5. User340

User340

+1 to the preference idea. Because I think that quitting itself would be useful for me. It feels weird how the Hub is still running even though I have already opened a project.

TaleOf4Gamers and thylaxene like this.
  6. BorisMongeau

BorisMongeau

Unity Technologies

The Hub needs to stay open because it's managing your user session for your editors. The main reason for this is to be able to have more than one editor opened at the same time for the same user. (you still can't open the same project with two editor at the same time)
    *Note: This is true only for Unity versions 2017.2+