Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac Standalone Xcode Project generation

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by User340, May 17, 2019.

1. User340

User340

Has this feature landed yet in this alpha? I didn't see mention of it in the release notes.

Q-Ted likes this.
  2. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

Yes, please... I'm only waiting for it to test the Alpha! Is there any estimative?

3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Current estimate is 2019.3.0a5 - a6, so around 2 - 3 weeks from now.

FROS7 and User340 like this.
  4. User340

User340

Yippee! I absolutely can't wait! This is gonna open up a whole new world of possibilities!

5. bdovaz

bdovaz

@LeonhardP would he possible to create plugins without precompiling them? I mean be able to behave like iOS or Android where we can put in Unity .h .mm and .java files and make Unity compile them for us.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    User340 likes this.
  6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

7. bdovaz

bdovaz

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

We should be able to support .m and .mm files if you put them in Unity project. If that doesn't work, mind submitting a bug report?

User340 likes this.
  9. User340

User340

Bump. a6 is out now, any word if this feature has shipped?

10. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It landed to alpha 7 last week. So you should be able to get your hands on it next week.

User340 likes this.
  11. User340

User340

Thanks for the update.

12. User340

User340

It's here in a7!
    • OSX: Unity can now generate Xcode project for macOS standalone build

First impressions:
    1) When I build it doesn't create a folder. It would be nice if it put all of the contents into a folder automatically.
    2) I don't seem to have access to the source code like it is on iOS. I was hoping that we would have access to more source code this way, just like how on iOS I can modify AppDelegate and stuff like that. @Tautvydas-Zilys Any chance this will be exposed?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    wagenheimer likes this.
  13. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Unity's macOS support doesn't really have the same source code structure as iOS does. What specifically would you like exposed?

14. User340

User340

Does it have a layer written in Objective C? If so that would be what to expose. I'd like to see the NSWindow class. Also I'd like control over the dark mode and NSMenu visibility.

15. andrar

andrar

There is an Objective C layer but historically it was not designed to be exposed and customizable. It's a good feedback and we'll think about what can be done. We also considering adding more control over NSMenu but nothing specific yet.

User340 likes this.
  16. richardzzzarnold

richardzzzarnold

I was happy to find that Unity 2019.3 was able to generate codesigned XCode projects ready for upload to the Mac App Store, which I thought would have fixed the nightmarish and currently impossible process of uploading correctly packaged apps to the Mac AppStore.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't seem to work properly.

When I make a build with the Scripting Backend IL2CPP I get the following error:
    .app/Contents/Frameworks/GameAssembly.map: No such file or directory

and when I build with the Scripting Backend Mono I get the following error:

.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoBleedingEdge: bundle format unrecognized, invalid, or unsuitable

Either way, it seems like an insurmountable problem, yet again, to clear this hurdle.

I have tried innumerable permutations in order to get it codesigned correctly but it always stops at one of these two points.

Any idea if there will be a way around this block in future updates?

17. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Does this feature mean it would be possible to upload and sign an app using just a windows pc?

18. andrar

andrar

A mac is still required in order to build the project and codesign executables.

19. andrar

andrar

Would you mind sharing your build logs? In Xcode go to Report navigator and press Save button in order to export the log. Also some repro steps would be helpful.

20. richardzzzarnold

richardzzzarnold

When I build with the IL2CPP, it won't complete the build and I have attached the Report log Below.
    When i build with the Mono Scripting Backend it will successfully build and play it, but it fails on the last codesign upon validation here: (reports also attached)
    }
    2019-07-16 14:14:37 +0000 Writing entitlements for <IDEDistributionItem: 0x7f8ad601b030 'XXXXXX.XXXXX' '<DVTFilePath:0x7f8ad4ef8840:'/Users/XXXXXXXXXLibrary/Developer/Xcode/Archives/2019-07-16/XXXXXXXX16-07-2019, 16.13.xcarchive/Products/Applications/XXXXXXXX.app'>'> to: /var/folders/22/dn5q5z554p91s14y49gqklxw0000gn/T/XcodeDistPipeline.suv/entitlements7F1N81
    2019-07-16 14:14:37 +0000 Running /usr/bin/codesign '-vvv' '--force' '--sign' 'FAB1C0720E4AD302A0B84460E1E5329355BAF35E' '--preserve-metadata=identifier,flags' '--entitlements' '/var/folders/22/dn5q5z554p91s14y49gqklxw0000gn/T/XcodeDistPipeline.suv/entitlements7F1N81' '/var/folders/22/dn5q5z554p91s14y49gqklxw0000gn/T/XcodeDistPipeline.suv/Root/Applications/XXXXXXX.app'
    2019-07-16 14:14:38 +0000 /var/folders/22/dn5q5z554p91s14y49gqklxw0000gn/T/XcodeDistPipeline.suv/Root/Applications/XXXXXXX.app: code object is not signed at all
    In subcomponent: /private/var/folders/22/dn5q5z554p91s14y49gqklxw0000gn/T/XcodeDistPipeline.suv/Root/Applications/XXXXXXXXX.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoBleedingEdge/etc/mono/config

2019-07-16 14:14:38 +0000 2019-07-16 14:14:38 +0000

2019-07-16 14:14:38 +0000 /usr/bin/codesign exited with 1
    2019-07-16 14:14:38 +0000 2019-07-16 14:14:38 +0000

I tried removing the Unity IAP ( made no difference ). It was originally an IOS project that was converted to Mac build. It used to have GoogleMobileAds which I subsequently removed. Its Linear color space and Auto Api for Mac.

21. andrar

andrar

Thanks a lot for the report! From the IL2CPP log it seems that some of the files did not make it into the generated xcode project. When building in Unity did you notice any errors in the console? Are you able to build an empty Unity project this way? If it's specific to your game it would be great if you shared your Unity project with us using "Help/Report a bug" tool so we could reproduce the problem on our end.

22. richardzzzarnold

richardzzzarnold

Now that you mention it, I did find this error warning on IL2CPP build:

Error: Could not load signature of UnityEngine.Purchasing.UIFakeStore:GetOkayButton due to: Could not load file or assembly 'UnityEngine.UI, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. assembly:UnityEngine.UI, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null type:<unknown type> member:(null) signature:<none>

Unity.UI is checked in the package manager...
    When building with Mono this warning does not appear

I will share the Unity project with you using "Help/Report a bug" tool ASAP

Also:
    I made an empty project build and was confronted with these errors in xcode ( see attached ) when attempting to archive.
    As with the full project, it fails when attempting to codesign the config file in the MonoBleedingEdge Folder in the Frameworks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  23. andrar

andrar

Seems like there are two separate issues with generated IL2CPP project and codesign in general. We will take a look, thanks for letting us know!

24. User340

User340

My app is having problems in fullscreen mode, can't access the doc or menu bar. Please open this stuff up so that I can make my app feel more like a native app.

25. mmortall

mmortall

Could you provide any documentation on this feature? I see just main.cpp and PlayerMain call. Probably an extern function from UnityPlayer.dylib.
    How can I get windows mode? May be there are more options to control the target render surface of some UIView etc.
    How can I access window Menu?
    It looks like a very low level. Could you assist on this?
    Thanks

26. mmortall

mmortall

Unity, could you give an update on this topic? Thanks.

27. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

We currently have a fix waiting to be merged into the main branch. It will probably take a few days. Once that happens, it should be in the next alpha. So hopefully in 2020.2.0a8, but possibly in 2020.2.0a9.

andrar likes this.
  28. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

My comment is solely in regards to using loose .mm and .m files. Sorry for any caused confusion.

29. Numa

Numa

Are we able to edit the xcode project (eg. adding an entitlement file) in a post build script like we can do with iOS with the XCode API?

At the moment this doesn't seem to work:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [PostProcessBuild(1)]
    2. public static void PostProcess(BuildTarget buildTarget, string buildPath)
    3. {
    4.     var project = new PBXProject();
    5.     project.ReadFromFile(buildPath);
    6. }
    -> UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/Users/me/Builds/MyApp/MyApp.xcodeproj' is denied.

30. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You should be able to. Is that the right path?

31. Numa

Numa

Yeah the path is correct, I also tried reading a dummy .txt file in the same folder and it worked fine.
    Could it be a race condition? My script running while Unity hasn't released the project file yet?

32. Numa

Numa

@Tautvydas-Zilys It looks like the project doesn't pick up any of the external libraries/bundles. A standard build grabs everything it needs, but an xcode project has none of them.
    Are supposed to do this manually or is there something special to do? All my libraries have the mac os x64 platform enabled in the inspector.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  33. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Sorry I missed your last reply.

Regarding the script not working: did you try placing a breakpoint in that function and seeing whether the xcode project is on disk at that time?

As for the external libraries bundles, looks like you're running into this issue: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/macos-bundle-plugins-are-not-linked-on-xcode-project-export

The fix is planned for 2019.4. I don't have an ETA for it unfortunately. Until it is fixed, you may be able to work around it by editing the Xcode project yourself.

34. Numa

Numa

Thanks I'll give it a go.
    New 2019.4.2 came out today but reading the changelog it doesn't look like it includes a fix for this :)

35. Numa

Numa

@Tautvydas-Zilys So I did a few tests:
    - Added a breakpoint, the file is there. I'm able to double click on it and open it in xcode.
    - I checked the file permissions and all users have read/write access
    - I used the Finder's Go tool to go directly to the file location I get from the code, and it is the right file.

scratching me head :confused:

36. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Ah I see the mistake. MyApp.xcodeproj is a folder, not a file. Try this:

Code (csharp):
    1. var project = new PBXProject();
    2. project.ReadFromFile(Path.Combine(buildPath, "project.pbxproj"));

Numa likes this.
  37. Numa

Numa

Ha good catch! Awesome that was it, thanks so much for your help!

(Btw the helper method PBXProject.GetPBXProjectPath() ,which I think usually takes care of this, only seems to work with iOS project structures. It returns a wrong path with mac os projects).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Alex_StudioDrydock likes this.
  38. erlemaitre

erlemaitre

Hello,
    Is there a way to add the apple developer team ID inside Unity for a macOS app ?

39. flip_the_unflappable

flip_the_unflappable

It seems strange that the setting "Create Xcode Project" in the Build Settings window saves this change to Library/SourceAssetsDB and not in ProjectSettings/ProjectSettings.asset

The documentation for Unity explicitly says that you should mark the Library/ directory as ignored for source control systems...

Is this is the intended behavior?

40. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The settings in Build Settings window are generally expected to change multiple times as you test and develop your game and it really depends on how you want to configure your build for that specific time you build it. It might also depend on the person who's doing the building: perhaps a developer wants to build it with debugger enabled, while QA wants to build a non-development build. These settings are considered per-user rather than per-project for this reason.

If you want your project to always revert to "Create Xcode project", you could do something like this: https://forum.unity.com/threads/clo...-silicon-dlls-failing-in-macos-build.1066970/