Search Unity

MAC OS on PC and UNITY

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dexsoft-games, Nov 28, 2007.

1. dexsoft-games

dexsoft-games

Hey guys, anyone of you installed MAC OS on PC?
    I have idea to install it on PC and try to run UNITY. If runs good I will purchase licence thats sure.
    Any expirience with this?
    Ive heard that it is possible to install windows and mac OS X on PC in same time.
    So what I want to ask, is there any workaround to install unity tools on PC, without having to bought MAC.
    Thnx

2. nickavv

nickavv

I've heard that you should look up "Hackintosh".

By the way, Mac OS X and Unity shouldn't be all capped. :p It seems to be a common mistake by PC users for some reason.

3. AaronC

AaronC

Its a non-starter, you cant access the 3d hardware acceleration.
    AC

4. dexsoft-games

dexsoft-games

So that means I will need to wait one long year to get windows version of unity tools :(

5. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Probably, but that doesn't mean you have to wait.
    You could simply invest in a Mac, right now.

Also, I don't remember anyone at UT setting a date on a Windows version of Unity. Could be 2 years or more. Probably, not, though.

6. TylerM

TylerM

If the editor was written in .Net (Which I think it is), it shouldn't take more than 3 months to convert and another 3 months or so of testing.

7. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

That is not quite correct. The scripting engine is .NET; the Unity engine itself is C++ (portable already). The editor is mostly Cocoa/ObjectiveC (some bits are .NET though, like the terrain tools).

8. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Yes, I ran Unity 1.62 on a PC with OSX. From my experience it's too much of a hassle to get your hardware running correctly. I got everything working except for sound and the network. This was after weeks of posting on Forums. The 8000 series of Nvidia cards wont run, and you're also going to have driver issues with the earlier cards as well as ones from ATI. I couldn't deal will all the frustration so I went out and bought an iMac. They have great resell value if you decide it's not for you or Unity for Windows comes out.

If you have the PATIENCE then it is possible. Google OSx86 and you can learn more about it.

9. robc3d

robc3d

I ran the 2.0 demo just fine on My hackintosh and i suspect the liscenced version (which i bought today) will work just as well. Only thing is the driver for my Hakbook's graphics card wont let me do subshaders in unity, which for now is fine until I save up to get a decent mac. Only reason i set up the hakbook was for unity and oddly enough i actually like it just as much as my XP laptop. Have it running 100% by the way. Every driver was accounted for, very fast in my opinion. Ill just end up buying a Mac in the end and dual booting with boot-camp.

10. AaronC

AaronC

Well there you go, I was wrong. Now is it legal ?
    AC

11. robc3d

robc3d

Anything before the new Leopard hack is definitely illegal. However Im not sure about now seeing as you can buy a legitimate copy of Leopard and a small patch will let it install on beige box. Either way it isn't the best solution but if you want to test it out and are big on troubleshooting I'd say go for it. You'll like unity so much I think buying a Mac just to run it will be justifiable.

12. podperson

podperson

It's in violation of the EULA no matter if you buy a copy of Leopard or Tiger. Whether Apple really cares is another question. I'd suspect they don't or they'd have made it much harder.

13. dexsoft-games

dexsoft-games

Thanks guys, it helped me a lot in my descision ;)