Search Unity

Mac on top of Windows?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by elias723, Apr 30, 2006.

1. elias723

elias723

Hey everyone. I am being forced to get a windows machine and I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight about whether I can run OS X on a new windows machine. I have searched for an answer on the web, but everyone is either talking about windows on mac or about emulators (which are uselessly slow and improbable to work for something intensive like Unity). Any ideas?

2. Lallander

Lallander

Nope. Mac OS X will only run on Apple hardware.

3. elias723

elias723

Shoot! I thought I would be able to reverse the operation just as easily!
    Thanks anyway...

4. Lallander

Lallander

Emulation is about your only bet. But as you say clunky.

5. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi all,

You can try the patched versiopn of Mac OS X for intel that is circulating on the net (Bittorent, emule and so on). They don't have good support and unity doesn't run on it. Only as a learn option. But, you lose the best of Apple, the machine!

6. klindeman

klindeman

It also isn't legal.

7. Lallander

Lallander

So it all boils down to this "Just go get a Mac."

This ad brought to you by the fanboy association of the Unity Forums.

8. elias723

elias723

Yeah, I wish I could. I guess I'll just have to use my desktop mac instead. The problem is I'm going to college soon, and they "highly recommend" using a windows computer (read: "IT dept will have nothing to do with you otherwise"). Hence, if my mac screws up (which I doubt it would) I couldn't get it fixed easily. Also, I get a deal through the school including some software that I would need that otherwise would be about a thousand more - I couldn't afford to buy without this.

Well, I guess I won't be having nearly as much fun at school as I will at home... or something like that... :D

9. Lallander

Lallander

You could have always just run windows on your mac.

10. dan

dan

If your college is anything like mine, your IT department still won't be able to help you even if you follow all of their recommendations. I'd go for the Mac, and dual boot Windows when you have to. Then just head over to the Comp. Sci. department if you ever do have a problem with your Mac, because all of the really smart professors and students there are using Powerbooks/Macbooks and can probably help you.

11. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi klindeman,

You are right, sorry

12. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

If you didn't buy this Windows PC thingey yet, consider this: All Intel Macs boot into Windows, it's not hard to spin your Mac as a Windows PC. In fact, a Windows PC can hardly be defined other than an Intel-compatible processor running that Microsoft OS. That's is all there can be said of that.

Edit: Now that I've written that, of course this is exactly what Dan already said. Oh well, can't be said too often :)

d.