Search Unity

[Mac] Make Hub not show up in the dock

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by User340, Feb 16, 2019.

1. User340

User340

I think it would be cool if the Unity Hub did not show up in the dock, and only showed in the menu bar up top. I've seen other applications do that, so I know it's possible. Being in 2 places at once is a bit overkill in my opinion.

2. User340

User340

I've figured it out! Just follow these steps:
    1) Add the LSUIElement boolean key to the Info.plist of Unity Hub, and set it to true.
    2) To make Unity Hub launch automatically on startup:
    Go to System Preferences->Users & Groups->Login Items, then hit the plus. And select Unity Hub.

Now you're all set with Unity Hub running in the background and automatically launching on startup.

3. Deepwell_GameDev

Deepwell_GameDev

I did that and it worked fine - at first. But: macOS occasionally re-checks the signatures of applications. Changing the Info.plist of course breaks the signature of "Unity Hub.app". Once macOS notices that you cannot launch the app anymore.

One possibility is to re-sign the app - you can do that on your own, if you have an Apple Developer ID. But you will need to do this (including the change to the Info.plist) for every update of Unity Hub.app!

Here's how to re-sign the app:
    You need an Apple Developer ID (and I guess also Xcode installed - which I always have, so not sure)
    All in Terminal.app:
    1. Find out your code signing identity:
    security find-identity -v -p codesigning
    This will list all installed code signing identities - I usually pick the one for development (as opposed to deploying). Copy the part in quotes.
    2. Sign the Unity Hub.app:
    codesign -f -s "your identity here" /Applications/Unity Hub.app