Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac fullscreen unstable behaviour

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ara27, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Ara27

Ara27

Greetings,

I've spent a few days trying to make fullscreen work on Mac and messed with all the properties from player settings (fullscreen Mode, mac retina support, allow fullscreen switch etc etc) but haven't found any configuration that actually works.

After a wild search for a solution to this issue and due to the lack of answers to the opened elements in the issue tracker I've decided to try the popular wisdom of the forums.

Have anyone found themselves in a similar situation (and found a solution??)

The details of the machine:

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65)
    iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
    3,6 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB

The unity versions I've tried:
    2017.2, 2017.3, 2017.4 ... 2018.1, 2018.2

The behaviour for the fullscreen is slightly different for each version so I can't really put up a settings example for all versions but the approximate description would be that for most cases the green button to expand the window to fullscreen works, but the top menu option to exit fullscreen mode does not work properly.
    It also happens sometimes that after expanding to fullscreen the top bar doesn't show at all.

Thanks and cheers!!

TechOmegaZeta likes this.
  2. User340

User340

I'm in the same boat. Fullscreen is pretty broken in my app.

3. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

I’ve currently given up trying to build
    For OS X. Ironically the game is built on a Mac for windows...

4. User340

User340

That's the beauty of Unity.

NicBischoff likes this.
  5. TechOmegaZeta

TechOmegaZeta

In our company we are currently developing an app for the Mac Apple Store.

Due to the same problem, we chose to launch the app in a window maximized to the screen, disabling the option to make fullscreen, it works correctly because the user does not have the possibility to do fullscreen, neither from the green icon of the window or from the menu higher.

The problem is that Apple has rejected the app because it just can not be made fullscreen, so we have a problem in continuous loop.

And we still can not publish the app on the Mac Apple Store...

Apple + Unity = Brain exploded!

SweatyChair likes this.
  6. jasonmedeiros

jasonmedeiros

I am experiencing the same odd fullscreen behaviour on macOS as @Ara27 using Unity 2017.4.6f1 LTS. I'm trying to resolve it by writing a native plugin and will report back if I make any progress.

7. Gordan_G

Gordan_G

We are facing same issue. But only in 10.13.1 to 10.13.6. Did you find any solutions?

8. ChristmasEve

ChristmasEve

I'm also running into this problem (I think). No one really described what the full screen issues are that they're having. Does it start blinking rapidly or even go completely white? I also use High Sierra on my development computer and this is happening to me. I have another machine that has Mojave on it and it's not happening on that computer. I'll see one quick flicker when I first start the game or do something like change brightness but I never got the crazy flashing or white screen on Mojave. My solution is to upgrade my development Mac to Mojave. My game is not in production right now so it's not really an issue but I WANT IT TO WORK on everyone's computer. I hope Unity fixes this soon!! Please let me know if anyone has come up with a solution.

By the way, did anyone notice that the problem stops if an OSX window is being displayed on top of your full screen Unity player? That's not a solution, of course, but it makes me wonder what the problem can be.... why doesn't it happen if the OS is displaying anything over the screen? Could also be a text message preview from the Messages app, or the right notification pane you get by two-finger swiping from the far right.

EDIT: I just had it happen on Mojave 10.14.1. I just had to wait a little longer. This is ridiculous. Unity-built games/apps are unusable on a Mac now.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    SweatyChair likes this.
  9. percept2020

percept2020

Does anyone know if this has been resolved, maybe with the recent update?

10. PixelJ

PixelJ

Unity Technologies

11. HdG_S

HdG_S

PixelJ likes this.
  12. huulong

huulong

Done. Internal ID is IN-38333. I sent a project with a bunch of buttons to toggle fullscreen in different ways and change resolution. I didn't have time to take a Macbook and test it myself (I got the bug in a real project yesterday though, and my sandbox does about the same thing), but the project is in fact pretty generic so you could just use it to test fullscreen on all platforms. Although I suppose your team must already have sandbox projects like these, so you can use your own too.

Note that the bug I observed in 2022.1 is slightly different from the OP: the app window infinitely cycles between fullscreen and windowed, preventing the player to do anything else. The app must be shut down.