Search Unity

Mac client runs better than windows?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by InfinityBeard, Apr 18, 2021.

1. InfinityBeard

InfinityBeard

Hi all,

I've noticed that the Mac client of my game runs buttery smooth, while the windows client has some framerate drops. I will need to spend some quality time with the profiler to optimize my game, but I'm curious why that is? The quality settings on both are the same (same graphics settings, resolution, vsync, monitor refresh rate, etc.), and while my Mac is newer, it has much less power than my windows desktop (CPU speed, GPU, and RAM). For most other games, my Mac chugs along, while my PC does exceptionally well (even for games that I know were developed in Unity). But for my game, it is the opposite.

Is it likely a difference between DirectX and OpenGL? I've heard the latter, which Mac uses, is better.

Edit: Sorry I put this in the wrong section. I just realized I put this in "scripting" after posting, and I'm not sure if I can move / delete it.

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Mac doesn't use OpenGL these days. Mac uses Metal.

Your best bet is to profile your game with Unity's profiler and see what is causing your framerate dips.

3. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

Probably just one of those things. Most games are probably optimized for PC, maybe even for your graphics card,since no one games on a mac. That's why PC's seem better. Whereas Unity probably runs the same, mostly, on any platform. In fact, I think it started out on the Mac which was an easier market to break into. And the Mac's stats are deceiving -- the OS plus all the hardware is put together better than Windows machines.