Search Unity

Mac Clean install of Unity 2018 - Missing Assets

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by phlebotiss_unity, Aug 7, 2018.

1. phlebotiss_unity

phlebotiss_unity

I've installed Unity 2018 on my desktop PC at home and my Mac laptop. The PC loaded in with a standard set of assets, which most tutorials refer to. The Mac (which is running OSX 10.11.6) does not load with the assets.

I came across a thread about this same prob. on a linux system: https://forum.unity.com/threads/no-asset-packages.380214/

The standard asset link there no longer works (it just redirects to the main asset store page.) Does anyone have a link to the standard assets for Unity 2018 that I can download? I'd like to follow along with the tutorials.

2. diegomendes

diegomendes

Can you download the package from the Asset Store? (On Unity, go to Window > Asset Store).

3. phlebotiss_unity

phlebotiss_unity

The problem was I didn't know what assets came with Unity 2018... just searching for standard assets, brought up a lot of different packages and I was trying to follow along with some instructors/classes that I purchased.

I got it resolved but it's a pain for mac users. I spoke with the QA / Dev team who informed me that they removed the ability for Mac Installs to pull down standard assets during install (like you can do on Windows.) It was a deliberate removal, and no ETA on a fix.

On my windows desktop, it's a lot nicer of an experience, because you can go to Assets, and simply pull in the assets you want. In this flow you have to import everything, or go through a huge list of objects and select those you want. It's a shame the installs aren't the same, as I use both mac and pc regularly (win desktop, mac laptop.)

But it's resolved now. Hopefully this thread will help out any other mac user who gets confused thinking they should have an option to add in standard assets on installation.

For those in this situation, the Unity 2018 assets are found at this specific link:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/asset-packs/standard-assets-32351

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. carxs8710

carxs8710

You have just helped me.

5. FranklinVR

FranklinVR

No luck here. Unity keeps telling me standard assets are already imported. However cannot find them and they don't show up in my project. I work on a iMac Pro Mojave

6. FranklinVR

FranklinVR

Well, that's funny. I've just made my fifth attempt to download, this time from the old store. And all of a sudden, the magic happened. I had the same experiences while downloading unity where the download got interrupted at least 8 times.