Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac build not run on other users mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by siddharth3322, Oct 3, 2016.

1. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

Basically I have exported mac build from my mac and deliver this exported build to other mac user. But they can't able to execute and play game. At present nothing happening when they double click on game build. But my mac can able to play same build, please give some help into this.

I want to generate mac build that can be playable by all other mac users.

2. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

It is definitely something weird, but you should tell those players to send you the output log and see if there is some error message in there that could point you to the source of the issue.

In OSX it can be found at /Users/*YourUserName*/Library/Logs/Unity/Editor.log

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  3. User340

User340

As long as you have logging enabled in the PlayerSettings.

Teku-Studios likes this.
  4. mark_ffrench

mark_ffrench

If you're not planning on distributing the app on the app store, make sure that "Mac App Store Validation" is disabled in your PlayerSettings. If it was ticked, but the game hadn't been properly signed and distributed, it will silently just refuse to open (an error message would be displayed in the system log).

5. 686InSomNia686

686InSomNia686

Hi everyone, I am upping this topic because I have a problem similar to that.
    My Unity project is associate to a library C++.
    I build the library separately and add it to my project.
    It works fine on Windows and Linux.
    I had some trouble with Mac (I needed to create BUNDLE library).
    When I build my Unity Project for Mac OS, the game will succeed to be launched in any case.
    But the link with the library will be done "only" when I open it from the Finder window with a double click.
    The rest of the time the project will be not abble to connect with the library.
    It doesn't work when :
    1. I try to open it from the terminal "open appli.app"
    2. When I try it on another Mac (Capitant and Sierra tested) Finder or Terminal
    If anyone could have a guess it will be a great help.
    Best Regards,
    Clément

6. SuperUnheardOf

SuperUnheardOf

What versions of OSX are you both using?

I found that with a fresh install of macOS Sierra, the logs directory (~/Library/Logs) was only writeable by root, not the logged in user. Most of my unity games couldn't start because of this. I fixed it by changing ownership of the directory:

sudo chown $USER ~/Library/Logs

This isn't ideal though. I think unity games should show an error message if they can't write their logs on startup.

7. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

I notice that its permission changing issue. You have to change permission of generated mac build.
    Then it can able to run on any other mac. One more point I noticed, if any other platform specific code exist then it can't able to run within mac build so app just get started and on the spot get closed.

Here is statement to change mac build permission using Terminal:

krisian4 likes this.
  8. jkinsley1

jkinsley1

Why can't you run games when Mac app store validation is ticked? Is it just an apple thing lol?

9. Ni-Donoso

Ni-Donoso

Move the .app file to "/user/userName/" folder.
    Run this on Terminal.
    open Test.app/Contents/MacOS/*

Garen_ and frankdfitzgerald like this.
  10. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

Can you guys provide more details on this or file a bug ? Also what version of Unity is this happening on ?