Search Unity

mac book pro! :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OzDave, Nov 24, 2008.

1. OzDave

OzDave

I finally bought a dual 2.8ghz | 4gigs ram | 250gig 7200

I had upgraded my final cut pro/studio 2 times from 4 to fcs2
    The crossgrade discs and installation literally took 3 days!
    I was seeing spots on the roof.

I managed to get unity3d into my new machine but my maya purchase might take $4000 to get it over arg!.
    I bought maya 8 a few years ago and they suggested I am out of the upgrade time loop. I am looking at having a dongle change if i can do it that way for a cheaper price with the same version.
    so close to being totally mobile but far out maya you hurt my wallet.

check out the attachment picture, this was on the first series of discs ;)
    I had two 4 hour power naps over the 3 days and finally got it all working.

Attached Files:

2. OzDave

OzDave

oh crap somehow i have posted too many hitting the post button

I found the delete feature, oh my that was newby sorry

3. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

What we want to know is how well a Unity player performs on the new supposedly screaming GPU compared to the old Santa Rosa MPBs

4. OzDave

OzDave

I have some time today to test stuff if you want to send me some links in this post.
    I can post the fps if that helps.

5. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

Just curious how much beefier the new GPU is on render-intensive stuff like the Avert Fate demo.

6. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

major congrats! I'd love to hear how the graphics work out for you, assuming they're not so incredibly awesome that you can't spare the time away from them.

I'm still running on the first gen 17 inch MBP. It's got an X1600, but it still serves me well.

7. OzDave

OzDave

I will download the avert fate demo then and test it on both video cards in the OSX partition.

8. OzDave

OzDave

1440 x 900 at best settings with the first video card reaps 18 fps when the green glow is around however it hung at 27 to 30 fps

1440 x 900 at best settings with the larger card reaps 50 fps to 80 fps

9. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

That is pretty good! My Santa Rosa MPB maxes at 50 fps on Beautiful, and averages less than 10 when the robots come out.

10. taumel

taumel

For a notebook i think the performance is quite okay and it's performance depends on what you're doing, also due to the 128bit memory interface. Apple also could also have used the shrinked and a little bit faster running 9650 but well it's Apple.

With the tests i did it felt quite close to the 2600PRO in the iMacs. Won't give you good results in current gen games if you're after high settings/resolutions but as long as you lower those in quite some cases it should be possible fiding a pleasing compromise somewhere.

What it practically gives you as an example are shadows which were a huge performance hit in quite some scenes i tested on the 9400er.