Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.2 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Mac App Store rejection for attempting to access /dev/shm

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ZowPac, Jul 26, 2012.

1. ZowPac

ZowPac

We've had a few versions of this app on the store, and this is the first time Apple made this complaint... the file /dev/shm doesn't exist on OSX (at least the ones I've checked), but I can see through dtrace that it is indeed trying to open the file (looks like library initialization from the calls around it). This is the first build on this latest version of Unity, so maybe something changed there, or maybe we just pulled a more strict reviewer this time.

The string /dev/shm does appear in <app>/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/libmono.0.dylib, and nowhere else I can see, so it seems like a Mono thing.

Has anybody else seen this? Any known solutions?

2. BBRome

BBRome

+1 ...

3. smoothsailing

smoothsailing

+2 ....

"
    The application accesses the following location(s):

'/dev/shm'

The application may be

* creating files
    * writing files
    * opening files for Read/Write access (instead of Read-Only access)

in the above location(s).

Please review the "File-System Usage Requirements for the App Store" of Submitting to the Mac App Store for the locations apps are allowed to write and for further guidance.
    "

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  4. Redswarm

Redswarm

+ 3

We had the same issue also sending with 3.53f.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  5. Be-Rad

Be-Rad

+4

I just got this rejection for a new Mac App too. Submitted using 3.5.3f3

6. ZowPac

ZowPac

Does anyone have an older version of Unity? It might be worth pulling libmono.0.dylib out of there and seeing if it makes a difference - assuming I'm right that Mono is the source, the library differences may just be minor additions and fixes that wouldn't affect most of us.

7. smoothsailing

smoothsailing

8. ZowPac

ZowPac

Ah, great - I was able to get 3.5.2 by changing the numbers in the file.

It's the same libmono.0.dylib in there though, so I expect we're really looking at one of the following:

1) the /dev/shm code has been sitting idle in Mono a while, but Unity did something in 3.5.3 that now executes it.

2) more likely, Apple is just being more paranoid.

Ideally, Unity will see this and provide a new build of the library, or a full Unity release, that fixes the problem.

Or we could build the library ourselves. I haven't built mono before, so I don't know what that entails, but I'd be concerned if there were any special build options Unity uses for their particular environment...

9. smoothsailing

smoothsailing

The current/few days ago Unity version is 3.5.4f1.

I was not prompted to update from within Unity for this latest version, I just checked and updated. I suppose it is possible that it is not an issue in this version?

10. ZowPac

ZowPac

It's not there when I check for a new version now (and I think I checked yesterday before posting too). Maybe they pulled it for some reason?

But if I increment the number on that download link, it is there... I see this version is using the same mono library, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything since it's actually about what code in the library is being called or not.

I'd go ahead and upgrade and dtrace again to see if the call still happens, but since I'm building for release, I'd rather know 3.5.4 is officially blessed by Unity first...

11. arkon

arkon

I'm using 3.5.3 and just got this exact same reject notice. Is 3.5.4 available? Does it fix this? Oh well nothing to lose as Im currently rejected so if it's available I'll try it.

Guys on issues like this how do the Unity team actually get to know of this problem? I sent a bug report to them but heard nothing back so I don't even know if they are working on a solution. Do they read these forum pages?

12. arkon

arkon

3.5.4 does not fix this problem. I just installed it and tried it.

13. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Our Mac application passed Mac App Store submission last week. I used Unity 3.5.3... I don't think I'm doing anything special to get it through...

14. NomadKing

NomadKing

Are the guys having issues codesigning the libmono.0.dylib? Just wondering if it's the same bug that's been around a while, but Apple now report the error differently

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

even disabling logging in the player settings you get the rejection?

16. ZowPac

ZowPac

My submission procedure includes double-checking the logging setting and codesigning the libmono.0.dylib file (I've seen rejections from both of those before). Given that I couldn't find any complaints from before, and there's several of us already on this thread, my suspicions are that Apple made a change in their checks (opening files in /dev that don't exist seems like something that could be easily missed, but would be added later on in the interest of completeness).

17. arkon

arkon

Yes, I had the player settings logging disabled. That pretty much leaves nothing else configurable to change. Anyone had any word from unity on the subject?

18. NomadKing

NomadKing

It does sound as though Apple have changed something, although it leaves me wondering why Antony was able to get an App through while others where rejected.

Probably another silly question, but are you sandboxing your App? Again, I know the rejection message doesn't say that's the problem, but just wanting to be thorough :)

19. ZowPac

ZowPac

Oh, interesting - this was the first time I had submitted with sandboxing, which definitely sounds like it could be related... but is a problem with sandboxing Unity in general, or somehow the five (?) of us have managed to botch it the same way at the same time?

20. arkon

arkon

No I don't think its a sandboxing issue. My app is sandboxed and its an update to a previously released app just 2 weeks ago. The original app failed due to sandboxing, I fixed that and resubmitted and it passed. 2 weeks later (a week ago) the update was rejected due to the /dev/shm error.

21. NomadKing

NomadKing

The mystery deepens! Are the 5 people having the issue submitting updates or new games? (Trying to figure out what could be different between you guys and Antony)

Also, what version of Xcode are you packaging with?

22. BBRome

BBRome

- xcode 4.3.2

- new game

23. arkon

arkon

Xcode 4.3.3

App update

24. NomadKing

NomadKing

It's looking more and more like nobody apart besides Apple or Unity will be able to figure out what's going on here :(

25. smoothsailing

smoothsailing

I had one app go through and another rejected. Both are sandboxed. (Both updates.) I think it could be up to the reviewer's discretion.

It would be nice (and quick) if Unity could communicate with Apple and ask for a ..."free pass" on this one since it appears harmless. Not sure if that's feasible, but who knows.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  26. Be-Rad

Be-Rad

New App
    I sandboxed it and believe I signed everything correctly.
    Have the Unity guys heard about this yet?

27. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

We passed with a new app and an update 2 weeks apart from each other, both were sandboxed. It is possible a change at Apple occurred just after we got approved though... Sorry I can't help more. Good luck you guys. Hope you resolve this soon as I'm submitting another patch soon!

28. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

/dev/shm is the SHared Memory device, at least on Linux systems, so a sandboxing-type issue sounds credible. Chances are it's something Apple didn't notice they needed to enforce until recently or something.

29. arkon

arkon

Here is an extract from sudo fs_usage, as you can see the system seems to open /dev/shm do almost nothing then close it again. Or am I reading this log wrong?

Code (csharp):
    1. 13:28:38.345887  access                 [  2] (___F)    /proc>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                                                                                                                              0.000006   ULearn ABC.13369
    2. 13:28:38.346027  stat64                                 A/CoreFoundation                                                                                                                                                      0.000025   ULearn ABC.13369
    3. 13:28:38.346181  open                   [  2] (R_____)  /dev/shm                                                                                                                                                              0.000036   ULearn ABC.13369
    4. 13:28:38.346670  ftruncate         F=5    O=0x00001000                                                                                                                                                                        0.000005   ULearn ABC.13369
    5. 13:28:38.346677  mmap              F=5    A=0x0169c000        O=0x00000000        B=0x1000             <READ|WRITE>                                              0.000008   ULearn ABC.13369
    6. 13:28:38.346680  close             F=5                                                                                                                                                                                        0.000003   ULearn ABC.13369

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

lets hope this gets fixed soon

31. BBRome

BBRome

any news from Unity guys?

32. arkon

arkon

No nothing from Unity or Apple and I've contacted both now. most frustrating.

33. BBRome

BBRome

sure it does nothing, with an hex editor I put /*** / ***, and the game works fine...

34. nonplanar

nonplanar

Same issue here... so, plus one.

35. peter_on

peter_on

Same issues here. Today receive emails from iTunes,

==============================================

The application accesses the following location(s):

/dev/shm'

The application may be

* creating files
    * writing files
    * opening files for Read/Write access (instead of Read-Only access)

in the above location(s).
    =========================================================

All my Apps rejected because of /dev/shm , (All Pro/3.5.3 build)
    It's a bulk reject email one after another, nothing getting through... all REJECTED

Left 1 apps under review for pass 3 weeks, sooner or later will get the reject email ;-(
    Apple review policy is so unpredictable....BTW, who do i contact in unity?

36. arkon

arkon

Unity sent me an email today saying they are on the case. Feel free to email them at suport to let them know you have the issue too. Might speed them up a bit.

37. Supratim

Supratim

Same issue for me also. I have 4 apps in the store. I sandbox our apps and those are updates to previously released app. The first upload failed due to sandboxing. I fixed that and resubmitted and it passed. I sandbox other 3 apps same way and submitted. Those updates were rejected due to the /dev/shm error.

Any idea anybody, when can we have a resolution for this.

Thanks.

38. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Unity Technologies

We are working on fix. We hope it to be included with next minor Unity 3.5.x update.

39. nonplanar

nonplanar

Excellent!

40. arkon

arkon

They dont mean 3.5.4 do they? I just downloaded that and it didnt fix the problem.

41. nonplanar

nonplanar

No. That update got published before Mantas posted this.

42. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I just got the same problem after it was in review for 16 days.

43. Massachusettsguy

Massachusettsguy

My app was rejected, however the reason is i did not enable the debug building...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  44. nwmohan

nwmohan

We also got the same problem, rejection for attempting to access /dev/shm, we hope Unity Technology will fix it at the earliest.

45. BBRome

BBRome

waiting for Unity fix.. has anyone tried ?

<key>com.apple.security.temporary-exception.files.absolute-path.read-only</key>
    <array>
    <string>/dev/shm/</string>
    </array>

46. arkon

arkon

Where do you put that?

47. BBRome

BBRome

.entitlements file used for sandboxing

48. arkon

arkon

Has anyone moved forward with this yet? Any cure? I've added BBRomes code into my entitlements and re submitted. I'll let you all know if it works or not.

49. Corscaria

Corscaria

<strike>Tried it. Apple then rejected on the basis that that is an unsupported entitlement...</strike>

Scratch that, I typo'd the entitlement... resubmitting

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  50. Deleted User

Deleted User

please keep us all posted, im very worried about this

unityunity