Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug [M1] 2021.2.0b5 Downloading from RemoteAssetCache each time the project loads

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by anatolyV, Aug 1, 2021.

1. anatolyV

anatolyV

Hi, I have an Accelerator server set up at home and whenever I open up a project, it seems to redownload the cache each time the project is opened, with lines like this:

RemoteAssetCache - Download - Metadata - success:true, namespace:defaultmetadata, key:5ae64e8dc211d3dee01af6ffc8a5974c
    RemoteAssetCache - Download - Metadata - success:true, namespace:defaultmetadata, key:4211afcd8b002fc3125e60a335c6d59b
    RemoteAssetCache - Download - Metadata - success:true, namespace:defaultmetadata, key:cdb936be3848667f94efc307e849ac2e
    RemoteAssetCache - Download - Artifact - success:true, namespace:defaultartifacts, key:4e617e81debd0c008e12a62d82cefcd1 for asset:'Assets/Resources/Parts/ob/Fascia/Fascia 1 (2).prefab', time elapsed: 0.023039 seconds
    RemoteAssetCache - Download - Artifact - success:true, namespace:defaultartifacts, key:dc85617cad0e0c00aa01496b964458e1 for asset:'Assets/Resources/Parts/f2/FrontAttachments/Bumper_03.prefab', time elapsed: 0.041882 seconds
    RemoteAssetCache - Download - Artifact - success:true, namespace:defaultartifacts, key:c403ddb64ca757002c23c73504d5beb0 for asset:'Assets/Resources/Parts/b5/FrontAttachments/TubeBumper2.prefab', time elapsed: 0.044455 seconds

but a ton of times more (6600x metadata downloaded, 5900x artefacts downloaded). This isn't a huge issue when I'm next to the router but in some rooms where the WiFi is weaker it can take 5-10+ minutes to load the project. Not sure if I should submit a bug report for this, since this doesn't seem to be an issue that a repro project could be made for, it also happens for me on a blank new project with a few assets added in.

2. henriksc

henriksc

Unity Technologies

Hi

This should definitely not be the behaviour. Unless there is actual changes to the assets or their dependencies, then nothing should be downloaded. Do you have any asset post processors in the project that could cause assets to be reimported every time?

Since you are using the 21.2 beta, you could take a look at the new 'Import Activity' window(https://forum.unity.com/threads/import-activity-window-2021-2-0a19-and-up.1115911/). It should be able to tell you why imports and downloads happen in the asset database.

If that doesn't give you any answers, could you upload 'editor.log' files for two subsequent runs where it re-downloads everything? Then I'll be happy to look through the logs and see if I can spot any issues.

LeonhardP likes this.
  3. anatolyV

anatolyV

I do have some asset post processors as part of some SDKs and assets but they only seem to be doing their thing in OnPostprocessAllAssets, which shouldn't be causing this from what I gather.

Nothing unusual in Import Activity either, no tons of recent reimports and everything seems consistent with what I saved or imported.

I've DM'd you the logs, @henriksc, because I'd rather not post them publicly.

4. henriksc

henriksc

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the logs! I've had a look through them. I was hoping to see different content hashes for the same assets, which would explain why it would "re-download" files. But all the content hashes seems to be the same between the logs. Which is good, but it doesn't explain why assets get's re-downloaded. We don't log reasons as to why something needs to get re-imported, only that we are about to process the asset.

However, if you would be willing to try it out, in the latest 22.1 alpha build (which hasn't been released yet but should become available in the next weeks) we have a diagnostic that prints out all the reasoning behind imports and also accelerator downloads into a separate log file. It's still in alpha state, but it should tell you what has changed when a reimport is issued.

You can enable it by going Preferences->Diagnostics->AssetDatabase-AssetDatabaseLog select append/new. This will create a new log file called YOUR_PROJECT/Logs/AssetDatabase.log. Feel free to send me that log file as well.

5. anatolyV

anatolyV

It'll have to wait a while but I will try the 22.1 test later on.

6. anatolyV

anatolyV

Hi, I'm revisiting this issue due to having some time for it, and 2022.1.0a9 produces an empty AssetDatabase.log unfortunately. I've tried New, Append, changing the checkboxes below, doesn't matter, still an empty AssetDatabase log.

Edit: Also just as an update, issue still happens on 2021.2.0b13 and 2022.1.0a9

7. anatolyV

anatolyV

Still happening on 2021.2.5f1, after a fresh reimport, any ideas @henriksc ?