Search Unity

M-M-M-MADNESS SALE!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Not_Sure, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

2. kittik

kittik

I can't recommend the Sci-Fi Effects highly enough. Got it a few weeks ago and it makes the previous particle effects I used look mediocre. There's a large variety of effects within the Asset.

Even outside of this sale, it is value for money.

Not_Sure likes this.
  3. Martin_H

Martin_H

I've had one asset inside the cart and was one click away from buying it when I reminded myself "I don't need this right now, and chances are till I actually could use it, something better will be available." and so I didn't buy anything.

zenGarden, theANMATOR2b and gameDevi like this.
  4. gameDevi

gameDevi

yep I'm starting to do the same. I've purchased assets thinking maybe I'll need it later, only later to find it's been abandoned.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

greggtwep16 likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Picked up Gaia and World Streamer after posting that they were on-sale in your other thread.

Not_Sure likes this.
  7. BFGames

BFGames

Rewired is really cool.

Aiursrage2k and Steve-Tack like this.
  8. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

oooooh
    this is only $50
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/1876

hmm but a new Unity Navmesh API is being worked on .. released aprox. June??
    ... last time i read into it.. yeah roadmap says June .. but yeah it could get pushed back

hmm its still really nice i think..? .. Unity Navmesh is JUST Navmesh system afterall, not all the other system dude has in that

hmm.. why didnt i like RAIN ?? lol ... oh they didnt have local avoidance i guess..
    I NEED Runtime Navmesh generation
    (RAIN has... well theres a script on their forums)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  9. tiggus

tiggus

I agree this is a great deal. I got a bunch, thanks for some of the recommendations as I hadn't seen some of these before.

- rewired
    - A*
    - Gaia
    - Sci-fi effects

Now to see if I actually use them in a project.

Not_Sure likes this.
  10. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I've been looking at Gaia and Rewired after reading all ya'll talk em up, but I don't need them atm so I'll hold off.
    I'd really like to get Final IK and 2D Toolkit just for me and future projects, but I'm trying to save up for a couple others that I'd like to have for earlier projects I have planned. Nice sale though. Quality packs available.

12. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I could see the A* being useful, but I have a hard time with the price.

It just seems like doing it on your own wouldn't be that difficult. Also, there's a few little things I would want to add to a path finding script (such as checking between steps for line of site or looking for places to jump) that would be more difficult working with someone else's scripts.

Am I being naïve?

13. mdrotar

mdrotar

This is me too lately. Madness sales used to be 50-80% off and I would think "I better get it now just in case I need it later". But now sales are typically 30-50% so it's much easier to hold off since I won't be paying that much more later if I do end up needing it. So far this has saved me a lot of money.

Gaia looks amazing and I could have a lot of fun with it... but I don't need it right now.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    aer0ace likes this.
  14. Martin_H

Martin_H

Speaking of Gaia, does anybody happen to know what the best worldmachine to unity workflow/asset is? Doesn't necessarily need to actually use unity terrain since that in itself seems to cause a whole lot of problems in certain situations.

15. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Good question.

I'm also wondering how well Gaia and World Streamer work together if anyone knows.

Martin_H likes this.
  16. Teila

Teila

Gaia is a tool to modify height maps and landscape Unity terrain. It will work just like any other Unity terrain. No reason World Streamer won't work.

Ryiah and Martin_H like this.
  17. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Having trial versions or evaluations versions of Unity assets is something I wish there was more of. Rewired has a trial version which is fully functional. The only limitation of the trial version is the executable that you build will only run two minutes. With a trial version a developer can make an informed decision since you have the product in your hands to test before you spend your money.

The other thing I try to determine is how much is the unity asset developer investing in the technology to support their asset. Rewired has one of the harder cases (in my opinion) since he needs the physical hardware (various game controllers) to actually test with. That is quite an investment in controllers that I do not see any competitor making. See the first msg in the Rewired forum for picture of the supported controllers (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/rewired-advanced-input-for-unity.270693/) which is very impressive. You can also look at the listing of controllers here (http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/SupportedControllers.html)

Talk is one thing but it does not help you make a decision for your product.

Rewired provides a trial version so you can make an evaluation to see if it works for you. It makes it much easier to make the buy or not buy decision.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  18. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Agree - alternatives to trial versions can also be allowing offline documentation and or demo builds of the asset. I've been given access to several demo builds and documentation which answers a lot of questions.
    It seems most of the asset developers I've communicated with are genuinely fine people.

19. aer0ace

aer0ace

Not sure if you took a look at this post of mine a sale or two ago:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/yay-another-madness-sale.347216/#post-2251390

I would think those AI systems would be separate, but work with the A* system. For example, your other AI systems can provide weighted influences to the A* nodes.

20. Kondor0

Kondor0

Apparently not right off the bat, in the Gaia page it says: "IMPORTANT: Gaia does not support multi-tile terrains. Support for will come in the version 2.0 update. In the mean time there is a work around."

Not_Sure likes this.
  21. Teila

Teila

Decorate your terrain first and then use another tool to cut up your terrains. I use Terrain Composer but I think there are others.

22. Martin_H

Martin_H

Wouldn't that workflow mean you are restricted to the max resolution of a single terrain object as the total resolution for all combined tiles?