Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

lynda vs digital-tutors vs design3

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by jjfawkes, May 28, 2013.

1. jjfawkes

jjfawkes

Hello,
    I would like to go through video tutorials to learn unity 3d and I have narrowed down the list to these three:

• digital-tutors
    • design3
    • lynda

Since all of them are costly and would take a great deal of commitment, I am asking for your advice - which to choose, if I am learning unity from scratch?
    I have a bad experience with lynda's 3dsMax essential tutorials - it was so slow and it seemed liked you needed at least 10 years of studying the software before you could create anything practical. Also the guy was speaking in such a monotone voice, I would literally fall asleep on keyboard, but perhaps they have a better tutor for unity's module.

I would feel appreciative for any Pros and Cons you could give about these or any other video tutorials on unity3d

Thanks ;)

2. artzfx

artzfx

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  3. GTGD

GTGD

If you have time you could check out my tutorial series for a prototype multiplayer FPS in C#, and you don't have to pay anything to follow the tutorials. I do have a paid option but that's only for learners who don't have time and just want the completed video by video project folders.

4. outtoplay

outtoplay

This series is terrific... So well done.

5. Calixto

Calixto

I've used Lynda.com and Digital Tutors. Lynda is a great site, but not for Unity. They only have one series and its not really that great. Digital is much better, but most of the stuff is Unity 3x. Only now are they coming out with the 4x series. If you want a good free site to get yourself started, try this one below:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/unity-fundamentals

You can also try http://cgcookie.com/unity/ , but its some paid some free....mostly Unity 3x.

Good luck.

6. Calixto

Calixto

Hey artzfx, your link is reporting a virus. I clicked on it and my virus protection stopped the attack. You may want to check it.

7. artzfx

artzfx

Which link? my domain?

8. SteveJ

SteveJ

I did almost all of the language courses (e.g. C#), plus all of the generic programming courses (e.g. OOP) on Lynda at some stage. They were good courses and I really enjoyed them. I also went through some modo, Maya, Max stuff.

I never did any of their Unity courses, so I can't comment on those. In general though, it's pretty good quality training.

9. Calixto

Calixto

Hi Artzfx, no it was the "i3tutorials" link, but I think you got rid of it. I got hit with an intrusion attempt, but my Anti-Virus got it.

Calixto

10. jjfawkes

jjfawkes

thank you all for spending some time to answer :)
    I think I'll start with 3dbuzz fundamentals and move on to digital tutors for now :)