Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

(LWRP) Using 2D Lights in a Particle System Emitter

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Vento313, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Vento313

Vento313

Is that possible? The Particle System won't allow me to use a 2D light in its emitter. Am I missing something or is this not implemented yet?

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hey, thanks for raising this.

It's not currently supported, but we are discussing how feasible it would be to support in the future.

AlterHaudegen likes this.
  3. yuanxing_cai

yuanxing_cai

Unity Technologies

Hi! 2D lights are regular MonoBehaviours rather than real Unity lights, therefore the Lights module of the Particle System can't support 2D lights.

That being said, we're interested in finding another way to hook up 2D lights to particle emitters, so please keep telling us about your use cases and maybe we'll have something for you in the future.

Kane_da, Bvenjamin and AlterHaudegen like this.
  4. ltlejeune

ltlejeune

Hey all,

I'm in the same situation as the early publisher, I find LWRP super for my case (2D game, high level view on a map), but I'm currently using particle system to simulate fireflies, with the super nice noise, emission and lights... making LWRP for now not an option :/

Is there any forecast on next Unity releases proposing this feature ?

5. Leonxweb

Leonxweb

Hey, Is it possible to make a partial system through shaders and thereby use 2D light?

6. AlterHaudegen

AlterHaudegen

I'm using particles systems (due to their flexibility) for projectiles, explosions, item pickups and of course vfx. Yes, 2D lights would be fantastic!

richardkettlewell likes this.
  7. hungteoh123

hungteoh123

Hello is there any alternative to implement this ? Currently stuck at here :(

Kane_da and DevilCult like this.
  8. m-pire

m-pire

I also would be really interessted in having 2D light particles !

9. Leobizaz

Leobizaz

Please add 2D lights to particles

TommySkunk likes this.
  10. Enrique48k

Enrique48k

I am also very interested. Please, it would be great if you could implement it.

11. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

Well, VFX Graph with Sprite Lit Output would be cool.

12. Kane_da

Kane_da

+1 - I'm also using Particle Systems for various effects in an otherwise strictly 2D game, and I'd love to be able to use 2D lights on particles in 2D URP. In fact, I came to this thread when searching how to do it. ;)

13. DatThax

DatThax

I could really use 2D lights with particles to create glowing sparks in my 2D game.

14. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hey all, could a script like the one attached help you out with this?
    It simply instantiates GameObjects and attaches them to particles.

It would benefit from some more work to set light properties based on particle colors/sizes, like we have in the Lights Module.

Attached Files:

15. id0

id0

It is works, but only in the beginning, then I have this his error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'GameObject' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    2. Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    3. AttachGameObjectsToParticles.LateUpdate () (at Assets/Game/Scripts/Misc/AttachGameObjectsToParticles.cs:36)

16. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

That's odd - the script never deletes those GameObjects. I wonder how that happened..

17. id0

id0

I got that, I just have "Destroy after" script on my prefab. Everything fine now :)

18. emehlos

emehlos

Would love it is 2D Lights were supported for particles as well, thanks.

russellnadin and TommySkunk like this.
  19. marcola_gt

marcola_gt

Hey! I'm so sad about this... I was trying to figure out why my particle system doesn't accept my 2D light... Now I know...
    Please do us this huge favor and implement this, guys...

russellnadin likes this.
  20. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

21. Rygielsiu

Rygielsiu

Hiya!
    The script helps a lot, thank you!
    I have attached 2D lights to it but now I am working on fading the light in and out to be a bit more realistic. At the moment it looks like the light just all of a sudden shows up and lights up the area around it. I have managed to get a script working to do the fade in and out by attaching a script to a 2D Light prefab and running a coroutine on those lights. The problem I am facing is that now some of the particles, all of a sudden jump their position somewhere else within the are of the Particle System and it looks again as if more intense light source was showing up in the scene. Any ideas how to tackle that?

22. Nutcracker903

Nutcracker903

DannyTheBiBoi likes this.
  23. mehdisaidibac

mehdisaidibac

Maybe we can give the sprite's material an emission map with 2D shader graphs, then attach a 2d light to the particle system GameObject, it might look as if the particles are emitting light. Maybe even change the light's color based on particles color in real-time. Didn't try it yet though.

MrPaparoz likes this.
  24. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

actually other than particles emission slot is necessary for some other distinctions in lit shader.

25. Orelien

Orelien

Worked perfectly for me thanks!

26. jhalesy

jhalesy

Hi, just cooked up another method. Create another sorting layer for your particle effect then have a 2D global light which only affects the layer with the particle effect on works very well.

27. DatThax

DatThax

But does that illuminate sprites below the particles? I think it wouldn't, right?

28. joan_stark

joan_stark

I've worked on changing the size of the light to match particle size.

Just add this line inside the "for" in first place.
    Maybe you have to play a little bit with the radius or size of the light in the prefab, but it will work.

Code (CSharp):
    1. m_Instances[i].transform.localScale = new Vector3(m_Particles[i].startSize, m_Particles[i].startSize, m_Particles[i].startSize)
    Nothing complex, just changing scale to particle size.
    I've tried doing this only once x particle/light but couldn't find any way.

ryoma1492 likes this.
  29. Black_Pawn

Black_Pawn

30. jhalesy

jhalesy

No, it wouldn't.

31. ryoma1492

ryoma1492

this was a wonderful addition onit's own... it DOES seem to react more like i would like ONLY when the particles are set to "World" instead of local (scale and distance were issues before i checked this... so i traded some performance for not having to manually change the scale and distance for each instance i had)

Thanks So Much!

32. Bogdar

Bogdar

Wonderful script ! So it was that easy to implement. It was very easy to tweak it so that it reflects the original module as well. Thanks !

33. Benjamin_Lehmann

Benjamin_Lehmann

+1 would really appreciate having 2d lights work with particle systems. Would feel so intuative and have so many creative applications. I'll use your script for now, but I always feel sort of uncomfortable with bespoke solutions - I like it when it feels like you're working with the engine in the way that it's designed. Peace and love.

MrPaparoz and richardkettlewell like this.
  34. JonX7

JonX7

+1 I'm creating a particle system in a 2D game that is supposed to simulate sparks coming from a damaged panel in a dark room. The effect would be amazing if each particle could render lighting to the right layers!

awsapps and richardkettlewell like this.
  35. wind_of_daybreak

wind_of_daybreak

+1 2D light for particle system pls

36. aromana

aromana

Just adding another +1 here for being able to use 2D lights in a particle system. If Unity is serious about Project Tiny and being a first-class authoring environment for 2D games, this seems like a pretty important feature request :)

37. thereadypunk

thereadypunk

Thanks! It works perfectly for my muzzle flash.

38. HofiOne

HofiOne

+1 for support of 2D lights in the Lights module of the Particle System!!!
    Pls !!!

39. Wrenzo

Wrenzo

I also encountered this problem. But what I did is the following:
    *make a round sprite that gradients outward with transparent background(this is what I need on my project but you can make whatever)
    *create a new lit material using this sprite
    *let your particle system use this material
    *move the particle system to its own sorting layer
    *create a new 2D global light for this layer and make sure no other global lights affect this layer

This way, you can manipulate the particles' color, alpha, etc. and it should work as intended(atleast for me). I'm new to unity and this is just a simple(and incomplete) work around I came up with after a week of agony.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  40. R-A-V-S-O

R-A-V-S-O

I've been playing around with this particle light script myself, and realized its possible to tweak intensity based on a particle's remaining lifetime, it sort of works in regards that a particle's illumination now fades as the lifetime ends, but when a new particle is instantiated the light suddenly appears at full intensity making it a bit jumpy.

Just add this line in after the if/else worldspace check:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. m_Instances[i].GetComponent<UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.Universal.Light2D>().intensity = (m_Particles[i].remainingLifetime / intensityDivider);
    intensityDivider in this case is merely a value I use to dampen excess intensity to avoid having extremely bright particles, can be replaced for any float value desired.

And should give you this ok-ish fading light effect that works for firefly types of particles:

light test.png

41. Dragorkhan

Dragorkhan

I dont know if this is still an issue for some of you or if you want another way to add light to your PS. I figured out that you can do it by using HDR as the color for the material. Then you can tweak the intensity of the color and apply bloom to your scene by adding a global volume.

upload_2022-1-31_22-7-59.png

ranjansikand, Krusavchik and Naver78 like this.
  42. BmanStudio

BmanStudio

Still needed lol

43. MidievalMan

MidievalMan

The script isn't working for me somehow, it isn't instantiating any GameObjects at all. Anyone else have a similar problem and got it to work?

44. HaraldNordgren

HaraldNordgren

Thanks!

Is this still the preferred way to do it in 2023?

45. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Yes. Honestly, it always will be. We aren't working on new stuff for the Particle System, so I don't think it will get proper support for the package-based 2D lights.