Search Unity

[LWRP/URP] Can I make a fully transparent object cast shadows as if it's fully opaque?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Ratslayer, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Ratslayer

Ratslayer

I want to use dissolve shader for a see-through-walls effect. However, I don't want the shadows to dissolve, I want them to remain the way they were as if the object was fully opaque. Is there a way to do it?

2. Shane_Michael

Shane_Michael

Create a local copy of "Lit.shader" and "ShadowCasterPass.hlsl". Call them "LitSolidShadow.shader" and "SolidShadowCasterPass.hlsl" or whatever you'd like. Then in the base shader switch:

Code (csharp):
    2. #include "Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Shaders/ShadowCasterPass.hlsl"
    to
    Code (csharp):
    2. #include "../SolidShadowCasterPass.hlsl"
    In "SolidShadowCasterPass.hlsl" simply remove the line:

Code (csharp):
    2. Alpha(SampleAlbedoAlpha(input.uv, TEXTURE2D_ARGS(_BaseMap, sampler_BaseMap)).a, _BaseColor, _Cutoff);
    Then your shadows will always be solid regardless of your alpha settings for the lit pass.

Alternatively, you could write a custom Alpha() function to ignore your dissolve settings but include other sources of alpha.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  3. Ratslayer

Ratslayer

Thanks for the quick reply. I want those changes to be used by shaders made with URP Graph. Is there an entry point where I can put this new Lit/ShadowPass shader so that URP uses it instead of the current one?

4. Shane_Michael

Shane_Michael

In that case, the simplest way is to use a local copy of the URP package and modify the shadowcasting shader file directly.

In theory, it may be be possible to create your own master node and get it to use your own custom shader code to avoid making changes to the URP code, but that isn't something I've done before and I don't use shadergraph much.

5. soorya696

soorya696

Not working for me. I followed all the steps. Any idea?
    I'm using URP 7.2.1

6. mokhabadi

mokhabadi

you can create an exactly same object with an opaque material and make it child of original transparent one, and then choose "shadows only" in its mesh renderer component in lighting section for "cast shadows" property, and also disable shadows for transparent one.

IgorAherne and nahrens like this.
  7. novaVision

novaVision

There is no such option anymore in URP 12 to choose "cast shadows only"

8. impheris

impheris

I was going to say the same idea, duplicate the object and make one "shadows only"
    The option is there. URP 12

Attached Files:

• aaa.jpg
      aaa.jpg
      File size:
      137.5 KB
      Views:
    StrangeWays777 likes this.