Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

LWRP Skybox Component doesn't work?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by CDF, Jul 11, 2019.

1. CDF

CDF

Hey, new to the LWRP. It would appear that the Skybox Component does not function with the LWRP. Is that true or am I doing something wrong. The skybox does work in the light settings though.
    This does not:

skyboxComponent.PNG

2. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

That hasn't been the way to apply a skybox for a long time, at least 4 years now since Unity 5.x days
    What you are looking for is under the in the lighting settings. You can apply your skybox material there.

Window -> Rendering -> Lighting Settings

3. Claytonious

Claytonious

Using a Skybox component is still very useful because it allows you to have a different skybox per camera. There are many VFX reasons to do this.

This is *NOT* simply a matter of "this is the old way so don't do it anymore". The documentation itself is clear that this is a feature which allows having different skybox settings for different cameras, even though the documentation is aware of "the new way" of using lighting settings to set a single, global skybox for all cameras. (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-Skybox.html)

@CDF did you submit a bug report about this? Not having this in LWRP is breaking some of our interior vs exterior vehicle rendering right now.

bstockwell likes this.
  4. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

You are talking about the builtin render pipeline and he is asking about LWRP which is now URP. The only way to assign a skybox with LWRP/URP is what's shown above. It's a different render pipeline than the standard/builtin and it doesn't work the same way as it.

5. Claytonious

Claytonious

No, I am talking about lwrp as you can see in my post. (Yes, that is now being renamed urp.)

6. CDF

CDF

No I haven't submitted a bug report. For my purposes, setting the skybox in the light settings was the solution

7. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Hey,

I just tried this locally on the latest version of Universal RP, and adding the skybox component to a camera works in overriding it. Are you using the latest LWRP?

8. CarryMinaty

CarryMinaty

Hi @Andre_Mcgrail , can you please confirm that the skybox component works with 6 sided skybox, mine is not working in LWRP
    webgl?. It works if set it in lighting setting but I need to use more cameras and need to change on runtime. Unity version is 2019.2.21f

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  9. Cascho01

Cascho01

Can confirm Skybox however does not affect environment lighting (==black) with

Unity 2019.3.3f1
    Universal RP 7.1.8

Simply use URP preset, clear baked data and hit play, environment lighting gets black.

Setting environment lighting source to gradient or color works.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  10. wheee09

wheee09

Not sure if this applies here but a very frustrating and annoying aspect of setting the Skybox via the Light settings is that Light settings are Scene specific.

Meaning if you have multiple scenes, the Light settings will change depending on which scene is active (in editor and game mode). Therefore, you may have set the Skybox on whatever scene you had activated in the editor but when you play and you start with a different scene you'll see that the Skybox will revert to a different skybox depending on how things are configured.

It took me hours to figure that out unfortunately. The UI of the Light settings should make it clear that its Scene specific.

11. electric_jesus

electric_jesus

Had the same issue. Turns out, the Skybox component in URP only works if Lighting settings Skybox property is not null.