Search Unity

1. We would like to hear your feedback about Unity and our products. Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

LWRP Shadows

Discussion in 'Handheld AR' started by m3rt32, Mar 28, 2019.

1. m3rt32

m3rt32

Hey! In GDC AR Foundation talk, we saw that Unity showed LWRP along with shadows in transparent surfaces. Unfortunately, it doesn't exists in lightweight rp branch in arfoundation-samples repo. So is there a way that you can provide it ? Because shadows are quite important and old shaders are not working with lwrp.

Saicopate likes this.
  2. Saicopate

Saicopate

Same issue here. This is a must-have for AR.

3. DanMillerU3D

DanMillerU3D

Unity Technologies

m3rt32 likes this.
  4. Saicopate

Saicopate

I'm getting:

Shader error in 'Custom/Shadows Only': failed to open source file: 'ShadowsOnlyPass.hlsl' at line 70 (on metal)

Any clue where to get it from?

5. m3rt32

m3rt32

@Saicopate I see an hlsl shader include in this shadowsOnly.shader file but since this is a gist I assume @DanMillerU3D didn't push push it. So, it would be great if you can also add hlsl shader @DanMillerU3D

6. superjayman

superjayman

Where is #include "ShadowsOnlyPass.hlsl" ?

7. DanMillerU3D

DanMillerU3D

Unity Technologies

8. fotalik

fotalik

@DanMillerU3D Hi, when i import ShadowsOnlyPass.hlsl I get the following error:

upload_2019-5-2_11-52-46.png

azevedco likes this.
  9. azevedco

azevedco

Wow, was literally about to post this at the exact same time.
    Currently having this issue as well.
    To add on, here is the full error message:
    Shader error in 'Custom/Shadows Only': undeclared identifier '_MainTex_ST' at Assets/_Core/Shaders/ShadowsOnlyPass.hlsl(92) (on metal)

Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    fotalik likes this.
  10. Tarrag

Tarrag

11. steego

steego

12. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Technologies

fotalik likes this.
  13. Tarrag

Tarrag

Thank you @steego ! This is a snapshot of the shadow I get with your shared shader, one whitish directional light and soft shadows, it comes out jagged and pitch black in my test.

How can I remove the occlusion feature in the shader please?

My settings below if that helps,
    Cheers, Sergio
    On Unity 2019.1.0f2, ARFoundation LWRP 2019-1 from git

upload_2019-5-17_18-14-9.png

upload_2019-5-17_19-17-39.png
    upload_2019-5-17_19-18-9.png
    upload_2019-5-17_19-18-31.png

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  14. fotalik

fotalik

@Tarrag you can play with cascades and just decrease distance in LighweightRenderPipelineAsset - Shadows

15. Tarrag

Tarrag

Hey @fotalik , thanks for the guidance, I played with those but none did the trick (distance 0, 2, 30, 40, cascades 0, 2 - combining the two)

16. hawken

hawken

@Tarrag Distance is in unit meters, currently LWRP doesn't fade distance like the default RP, but it will cut off at that distance and give you all the resolution in that area. If you set it to 5 meters or so, the shadows will be sharp. To get soft shadows, you'll need to tick the box on your LWRP profile that says "soft shadows" - just changing the light settings has no effect.

To make the shadow less black, just reduce the shadow strength in light settings.

Tarrag likes this.
  17. Tarrag

Tarrag

Thank you @hawken ! Yes reducing the strength setting on the actual light with some distance did it ! :)

18. newguy123

newguy123

@hawken What do I do then in an architectural situation where the building is 200 metres long? I need sharp shadows all the way. I would for example stand on the corner of the building looking down the long wall, or I can look from birdseye at the entire building. I can't have lowres shadows across entire thing, or only sharp shadows for 5 metres when I typically view the building from more than 5 metres away...

Any ideas or thoughts come to mind?

19. hawken

hawken

In this instance use the cascade editor, you can set where sharp shadows end, and lower res ones start by adjusting the 3 sliders.

In standard RP there is a visual preview of this in the editor window. It doesn't appear in LWRP but it does work.

20. newguy123

newguy123

yeah I tried that but it produced very destinct differences in the line where the cascade takes place. Looking down a 200m wall for example, you can clearly see the 4 different qualities

21. hawken

hawken

Theres a plugin on the asset store called “next-gen soft shadows” that might fit your needs. I’ve not tried it in AR yet so I can’t vouch for performance but it does do away with banding.

newguy123 likes this.
  22. Tarrag

Tarrag

cool plugin, says not avail for lwrp "Unity 5.6 up to 2019 (Built-in Renderer) HD & LW pipeline support coming in the future"